Does Ironman UK still deserve its bad reputation?

2»

Comments

• There are a couple of ironmen I meet every year or so T Manchester airport when we fly out to races. Completely coincidentally they've done pretty much the same euro races as me. Apart from 2010 when they did Bolton. I met them last year at IMRE and they were saying how they'd never do IMUK again. It didn't live up to their standards that they've seen abroad.

If its your first one though - you'd probably be none the wiser ?
  • talking tosh you lot...Bolton IS the centre of the universe!!! 

Fact

• Ive no idea what the atmosphere is like at IMUK, not sure how it compares to Wales but Wales really surprised my, I said in my race report that I never thought id see that kind of support and atmosphere at a UK event.  IM Wales is really up there with the likes of Switzerland, Germany etc.

I get the impression (and it may only be that), that IMUK isnt in the same league, probably has more of a local event feel?  Thats what I was suggesting in my earlier post re perceptions and value for money.  I'll happily pay £400 to do many Ironman races but UK doesnt have the draw, perhaps there's an element of excitement lacking with it being in the UK (though Wales doesnt have that effect).

Perhaps I should give it a go and find out?

• give a go BB....

Of course i'm biased, cause i want it to stay here...and i've not yet experienced Wales..but i did experience the Outlaw this year...and in all honesty...it wasnt even close to IMUK.....dont get me wrong...the organisation was great (OSB are great) but the finish didnt have the feel....not many crossed the line with total elation which is what you get at IMUK (not sure why...you've done the distance) from every single competetor....and although the pirates made it nice and loud....without them i felt it would have been a very damp finish.

and if you want to talk about a grim run....go round that lake 4 times image

from what i hear wales IS much better....so it must be incredible...but this years IMUK was spectacular in terms of support...all the way round and at the finish at 11pm there were still loads of people (not just families)...it was bright, loud and exciting...how it should be

its a perspective thing though for sure....as BB says...it doesnt have the draw...but he's not done it...so its about his perspective on it.

i always get drawn into this argument

I LOVE IMUK image

• Youre right about Outlaw, there isnt much support on the course really for the size of the event, not a patch on Wales.  I also agree about the finish, take the pirates away and there would have been a couple of dozen people there.

• Really glad I asked this question. Good debate. And the feedback is really helpful. Thanks image.

Outlaw was a brilliant event to do as a first-timer. Very simple, compact, well organised and relatively gentle. I loved it. But it's not the most exciting track and it's full. I'm #178 on the waiting list for '13.

IM Wales blew me away. The location, support and course were all awesome. Granted it was bloody tough and getting there is a pig, but still probably easier than getting to Kalmar. Which is also full. Which is a real pity image.

So I reckon I'll give "IronMan Chorley" a crack. I'm a sucker for a nice rucksack.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I also agree about the finish, take the pirates away and there would have been a couple of dozen people there.

I'd disagree there - there were many more at the finish right to the end who weren't pirates.  but not a patch on Wales or other Euro IM finishes which leave you tingling as you come down the finish chute.  or Roth for that matter - probably the best finish experience out there that I've been in

• Interesting debate.

Having done Outlaw twice I was blown away by IM Wales this year, everything just seemed to be a little bigger/better. There was a much continental feel to it, but you can understand that Outlaw will not be a big draw to those in Europe. That said I'm not trying to knock Outlaw, but do understand about the differences in the finish chute.

We have been up to Bolton to support Rosey, JP, Dustboy and Calf (not heard of since) 3 years ago and thought the bit we supported at was great with lots of locals coming out to watch.

We are looking at IMUK for me and Mrs SA, but it probably has more to do with our circumstances that anything else (jordy won't settle in a foreign country and wouldn't want to be away without him for to long)

But then you do get into the debate about one of the reason we do this sport is to go and experience different things, places and people, Bolton is not one of these ( I used to work there)

• They have just had Eric Morecambes widow on the lunch time news, she said he took the name of the place of his birth, she said lucky he wasn't born in Bolton !
  • Have to admit Outlaw didn't rock my boat, don't get me wrong it was well organised but it did not have that big event buzz, the expo was almost non existent, the trade stalls sparse, location ... well its HPP. Compared to IM Austria the support on the course was minuscule, it felt like a club event and it was only the presence of so many Pirates that made it memorable. Should I come out of retirement it will only be for a big branded event be it a IM or a Challenge event, though however you look at it any IM is quite small beer against VLM or the best of them all Comrades, now thats got support on the course cracked. 

Anyway should I do another UK IM distance Tri it will be Wales, sold. 

• When I signed up for my first IM I wanted the whole 'going abroad for a race' experience and IMUK just didn't have the attraction, especially as this was around the time the organisers weren't making any friends.

These days I'm sure it's a decent event, but it still doesn't hold much attraction because the course isn't as tough as Wales or as fast as Outlaw.  The support on the course may be getting better, but they'll struggle to get the 'whole community' feel that Wales had in Tenby and the towns around there, and in any case I don't put support on the course as high on the list of considerations as others do.  Support is great but it's not the whole package.  Just look at the Great North Run - fantastic crowds along the course, but a lousy event.

• What's the view on The Big Woody ?

IMW just sounds a bit too much of a scary course image

Only wondering, as I may be having a change of heart about not going long next year. Family are fed up with me sulking about it image

• Big Woody is a tough bike course and is probably the lowest key LD event out there.  cheap and no frills.  

of all the UK LD events, Outlaw is probably the easiest, then Midnight Man, then CH, then IMUK, then IMW - then it starts getting daft with Celtman, Xtri, Forestman, Brutal etc which are all tougher than the mainstram ones.   and there are more popping up next year with Horseman (Exmoor), TTTri (Isle of Man) and no doubt a couple of others

• you missed off Enduroman from the list..........not too tough as a single.......there are so many to choose from in this country now.........a briliant range.not sure what IMUK can offer.not the toughest or the easiest.not the cheapest or the best supported............its kinda in the middle

• IMUK will always do well as it has the brand behind it.
  • i'm a sufficiently shallow brand-slut to go for it image

The TTTri is intriguing. Must be a buzz to blast round the TT course with none of the mortality risk of the proper TT image.

Oh yes... I got an email today from the IMUK people saying that the mara is an officially certified 26-miler. Pity that, because I'd happily have shaved 3 or 4 off without feeling the slightest shame.

• In my experience

1st IMUK Sherborne loved it as it was my first but a bit shambolic and on the cheap

2 nd IMUK Sherborne much the same no lessons learnt so vowed not to play any more

1st IMUK Bolton great course much better support from the locals really enjoyed it but total shambles organisation wise all the midtskes from Sherborne were brought with them seas of mud, chsnges of brief without letting people know IMUK shop masqeurading as an expo so no more for me

1st Outlaw loved it pretty slick and friendly still no big IM raznataz but thats not where Outlaw is coming from IMHO

1st IM Wales just the best race i have ever done the support was great a monster of a course all i would expect of a ??400 IM brand event

3rd Outlaw this racevis a grower bonus that it was the pirate championships really nice

Iveould like to give IMUK another shout now its got new organisers but TBH Bolton just hasnt got that vav a voom IMUK Blackpool?
  • Norseman, Embrunman, Lanza and Roth are the ones that float my boat and spookily none are branded IM events
  • .... apart from Lanza  image

• Joddly i may be wrong but i thought Lanza was no longer under the IM franchise?
  • Kittenkat there us a Norseman article in this months Tri Europe mag i really like this racecbut at the moment cost really rules out some of lease BUT this one is getting my attention

http://www.ratracecitytosummit.com/

Looks sorta Norsemanish but with tartan and pints of heavy image
  • I love Embrunman......in case you didn't know    image

• Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    Joddly i may be wrong but i thought Lanza was no longer under the IM franchise?

there's been talk of WTC taking the franchise away and moving the race, but so far it's only talk  - it's still an IM branded event in 2013

KK - US IM's are slick and well run but the big downside is they're full of Yanks...image

• fat buddha wrote (see)

KK - US IM's are slick and well run but the big downside is they're full of Yanks...image

Waydago FB...

• Ive really enjoyed all the US IMs ive done, they are indeed slick, brilliantly organised and the yanks are extremely enthusiastic supporters.  I think that comes accross more than at European races as you can understand their comments.

Id say overall the fields are slightly less competitive than European races so more people at the back to keep me company.