Vitruvian 2013

1235»

Comments

• Proven Robbie W wrote (see)

Really Postie?! I must confess I've not read the rules but regularly leave kit with stewards or at special needs stops without issue. On international trips I even put name, address and reward value in case I fail to recover kit (usually cycle tops / jackets) after the event. It works

you can't give kit to supporters as this is outside assistance, nor can you dump it anywhere as this is classed as littering. You right, you can drop it off with stewards and special needsimage

• Colourin and Paperman, all booked! See you on Friday 7.30 pm image

• i might come down and sit behind a pillar and flick peas at yous lot, thats if my legs have recovered from the recce,

• If I make it through traffic and registration in time, I'd like to come and say 'hi'. For benefit of being able to identify you guys, anyone likely to be wearing scull and crossbones?

• Great to meet everyone at the weekend - I had a great time ... Report to follow at some point. Aarrrrrrgh!

• Sorry didnt meet you guys but I did arghh a few of you and shouted the odd go Pirate! Had a fab day, loved every minute. Thanks for all the hints and tips. Didnt need to worry about the cut offs either... finished in 6.35 so a hell of a lot better than I was expecting! Well done to all you pirates! image

• Well done Ellie!

Nice to meet everyone, I had a great race!  I missed my A time by 3 mins but still very happy to get my B time with tons to spare image

im racing tomorrow so will do a race report later in the week.

• Great effort, Ellie! 

Setting the standard, RP - !! 

• RP how on Earth are you racing today??? The stairs will be a mission for me today!

• my swim was 5 minutes longer than last year, my bike 15 mins longer and run 4 mins quicker - shit race for me, that water was discusting and reckon its gave me something , i never slept for so long - only just woke up properly since saturday early evening, stil feel like shit but the plus side is i have lost 7lb image i know i wasnt the only one who was struck with the sickness bug 

well done to all who raced, went straight back to the car and slept and shivered and sweated for 2 hours 

• Well done all who finished. I said hello to a couple of yas and a few Aaarrghs on the course!

Having had a tough work schedule the last few months, an injury preventing me from running since May and a bout of food poisoning last Sunday wiping me out for the whole of last week, it was never going to be pretty but in the circumstances I didn't do too bad coming in in 5hrs 40mins.

Swim same as last time - 45mins, bike leg (2hrs 47mins) could have been better but my seat pin slipped and seemed only held up by my number label and I was constantly shifting my arse around and that bloody wind picked up on the second lap. How the hell I ran the run I'll never know, but I managed it in just 2 mins longer than last time when I trained for it in 2hrs 1min!

Might try and put right the wrongs next year!

SP

• Doner was on fine form on Friday night, we were having a debate about GFA places for VLM, men v women's, and how easy it is for women compared to men, it must of inspired me yesterday....

I had a reasonable swim, 1st lap was great but the 2nd lap I made a real mess of my sighting. I had a good cycle and I got of the bike and was suprised to find I still had good legs. Ineeded the loo but thought it can wait till later, I got to the porta loo and thought it can wait until the way back, on the way back I thought it can wait till the 2nd lap, in the end I didnt bother going. I ran, albeit slowly in places but I ran all of it and finished in 5 hrs 47 mins and was bouncing, I knew I was close to getting a qualifying time for AG GB but I didnt  find out till last night when I checked the results, I got a European qualifying time but missed out on the world qualifying time by 3 minutes!

unfortunately for me, my running club had a race series race today, being stupidly competitive I just had to do it as I'm topping the league. i knew it was a 10 miler but until I got there it never occurred to me that it might be hilly. I felt bloody awful for the first 3 miles and then it clicked. It wasnt a super competitive time but I finished it in 1hr 26 mins and am still at the top of the league! 

Im looking forward to having a duvet day tomorrowimage

• I left my son and OH sleeping while I quietly downed the routine porridge and banana and then headed off for the swim.

Swim – 1900 metres

After Outlaw I wasn’t intimidated by this event, but that backfired a little, because at first I didn’t feel hyped up enough for the event. A part of me just wanted to go back to bed, and I didn’t enjoy walking to the water’s edge in bare feet – I’m sure that should be part of a triathlete’s training schedule – not looking a wimp tip toeing to the water ...

This was a wave start, and the ladies were last to go. We waded in for a deep water start, or should I start weed water start – some ladies looked like the creature from the black lagoon, as they were covered with weeds! No worries, weeds won’t attack me, or try to drag me under the water to drown me – man up, and get going, Ann.

The hooter sounded and off we went, into the sun, again, just like at Outlaw, only this time we had to do two laps. The swim seemed to go on forever at first, and I was very wobbly getting out of the water to start the second lap, but then I started to get into my rhythm a bit better, and hitched a lift most of the way back from another swimmer – always a bonus.

48 min for the swim – one minute slower than the Rubicon last year, but that was down river and didn’t involve getting out of the water half way through, so that was fine.

Bike – 52 miles

Quick transition (for me, about 4 minutes)and then off on the main challenge of the day, a hilly two lap course around Rutland Water. I’d trained well for this around the Wolds, and although I hadn’t done more than 43 miles in training since Outlaw, this was enough. As always, I got overtaken quite a bit going up the hills, and then overtook others on the flat and going down. The worst part of the day, though, was needing a wee – we’d been told at the beginning that anyone caught urinating in public would be arrested and could be placed on the sex offenders register!!! So I spent quite a few miles weighing up a urinary infection (exaggerating, I know) against losing my job ... until coming into the race HQ at the end of the first lap and a welcome toilet visit ...

Starting the next lap took some commitment, since most men (who’d had a head start, remember) were finishing their bike leg as I was starting the second lap. Still, the miles came and went, and with NO PUNCTURES WHATSOEVER, I came into T2.

Run 

In contrast to the lonely bike route, there were lots of people around at this point – families out for a bimble around the lake, supporters, and other competitors running the other way. Lots of support for the pirates, of course, and I gave every one a jolly big “arrrgh” in return. I loved the run – smiled all the time, because I felt strong and knew I was keeping a good pace.

I finished the run nearly 13 minutes faster than Rubicon last year, which was flatter. As this event was more a training exercise than a major challenge for me, I was more interested in what I could produce on the run, really, as long run training for Snowdonia next month. I was delighted to feel so happy just putting one foot in front of the other!

Happy to be able to run with my son to the finish line again!

Final finish time 6.15 – job’s a good ‘un!

• told ya - easy course

you looked happy on the run - you wasnt trying hard enoughimage

• Good work peeps enjoying reading the reports image

• Brit - nice report.

I also took part and spotted several pirates on the run.  Of whom I recognised Donner and met Running Postie afterwards.  I must confess I've yet to don the yellow and black but hope my 6' 4" frame, nuclear orange sunnies and cumbersome running style are becoming more familiar to those who have been officially 'christened'.

The sunrise and calmness of the water was more inspiring than when I first took part in 2011, which upped my enthusiasm from the swim.  I started at the front of 6:30AM wave and completed the first loop in 16 minutes.  A significant attack of phlegm and the need to stop for a few minutes retching made the second lap slower - 36 min swim.

The bike route I know well having raced and practiced on it several times.  This was, however, my first time on painfully expensive new bike with compact chainring on front and whilst this helped a little on Rutland ripple the upping of my cadence (having moved from 53/39) meant my legs felt fresh throughout the bike - 2:35.

The run ... aaah ... never has a 3.25 mile run out ever looked so far away (legs hurt).  Then back (legs hurt, felt sick).  Then out (knackered and feeling ridonkulously sick) and then the almightily good feeling knowing you're just another 3.25 mile yog away from 'home' (read junk food and beer).  The run killed me.  I managed to drag carcass across the line in 5:15 which included a run just a few seconds shy of 2hrs.

I love the fact that included in the modest entry price, finishers have a pretty top notch course to race in a picturesque location, some awesome organisation and 'free' medal, t-shirt and hoodie!

Despite feeling rotten for whole of run I finished knowing I'll be back again, soon.