Do you acknowledge other runners?

I see another intrepid runner and always give them a happy smile and wave.

The response rate is not the 100% that I would expect. Why not?

Comments

• I always try to give a nod, a smile or a quick "Hi" when I pass other runners.

• I say hello to everyone. Runners, walkers, cyclists, horse riders. Single racing cyclists are the only people who just stare at you without acknowledging you. Not all of them just some of them.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Everyone gives me a happy smile and a wave.  I think they must be sociopaths who are only after my body.  I try not to encourage them.

• nod, and a smile or hello if they acknowldge the nod

• always smile and always get smiles and nods.
  • Nod, grimace and weeze.
  • LOL....

always wave and say hello.  Most respond - although I can imagine the sight of a sweaty middle age man with a red face, bulging eyes and a small buddha belly wobbling away is probably the stuff of nightmares to the youngsters out there running.  Sorry folks......

•  

I used to think that only runners similar to myself would wave.  That is, short, fat, middle aged and running very slowly.  On the whole most wave, but it pisses me off if they ignore me, and I tend to wish them a dip in the canalimage.

• PSC wrote (see)

LOL....

always wave and say hello.  Most respond - although I can imagine the sight of a sweaty middle age man with a red face, bulging eyes and a small buddha belly wobbling away is probably the stuff of nightmares to the youngsters out there running.  Sorry folks......

hopetofinish wrote (see)

I used to think that only runners similar to myself would wave.  That is, short, fat, middle aged and running very slowly.  On the whole most wave, but it pisses me off if they ignore me, and I tend to wish them a dip in the canalimage.

image  Exactly

• Like Tim, I'll say hello to anyone when I'm running. Runners, walkers, cyclists, horse riders, farmers, confused lost drivers. Almost everyone responds. Often I don't see any people, just cattle and sheep, but that's fine, I talk to them soon (I don't want them panicking in my direction).

• There are some other views about this topic on a thread called Why are some runners so ignorant ? http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=222343&last=1&V=1&SP=

• If someone greets me I may greet them back if I notice. If I don't notice, which is quite possible, then I won't greet them back. I used to wear earphones so that people would ignore me, some did, some didn't. I will never initiate a greeting unless it is to make someone aware of my presence though normally I'll run around them so they don't have to move.

I'm not sociable, I never have been and little is going to change that now. I like being out on my own with just my thoughts.

You do not know me so please do noy judge me. To wish unpleasantness upon me because I want to be left alone is just plain nasty. It shows a complete lack of espect for others.

Don't forget you have friends on here with aspergers and autism, other friends with mental health issues. Running is great as it's so insular and isolated. Even without these there are people who are far less outgoing who wish to run in isolation.

We are not all social animals. Sometimes we need to get away, to hide, to be invisible and quiet. Do you think that you have the right to intrude and expect your needs to be met by others?

If you greet someone just be happy that you have done that. I always say hello to a friend when I see them. 9/10 they will not respond, sometimes they bury their head deep in the ground but I know that the day I ignore them will be they day that they need me to say hello.

You may have made someone happy by saying hello to them, they maybe trying to say hello back. Just give people the space they need.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TimR wrote (see)
    I say hello to everyone. Runners, walkers, cyclists, horse riders.

I'd also include farmers, road workmen and lorry drivers to this list. I will smile, say hello/good morning to everyone I see. If they don't respond - that's fine but I've noticed that 90% of people do. It's a nice start of my day to see so many smiles. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i always try to say hello, nod or wave... One chap wanted a high five whilst out, which caught me off guard!!

• So.............Some runners are friendly all the time, some are friendly some of the time and some are not friendly at all.

Some people are friendly all the time,some are friendly some of the time and some are not friendly at all

Conclusion; runners are people.
  • I always give some acknowledgement - nod/wheeze/smile/say hello - to everyone I see. I usually run in and around my small village, and most people respond in a friendly fashion. Sometimes I go running in the city (Glasgow) nearby, and saying hello to people there is usually just met with suspicion and/or bewilderment.

• The only people I don't give a cheery 'hi' to are cyclists on pavements. They, by contrast, get a non-cheery 'get off the ******* pavement'.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

This subject comes up fairly regularly. 

If someone greets me, usually I respond.  Sometimes I will intiate the greeting.  If they don't respond, I don't care.

I just don't understand why people would be offended, or even wish ill on people who don't respond.  It's only a nod from a stranger.

• Peter Collins wrote (see)

The only people I don't give a cheery 'hi' to are cyclists on pavements. They, by contrast, get a non-cheery 'get off the ******* pavement'.

Hear, hear!

• Intermanaut wrote (see)
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

The only people I don't give a cheery 'hi' to are cyclists on pavements. They, by contrast, get a non-cheery 'get off the ******* pavement'.

Hear, hear!

What if they are wearing earphones and listening to music, they might not hear your call..

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

Its good to acknowledge other runners.

Whenever I am in good shape and have any breath to spare, I say hi..

so I usually don't speak.

• I usually acknowledge all the people I see on my run, it's fairly secluded most of the way but you do come across other runners, maybe a dog walker or two etc. It's up to them if they acknowledge me, I don't get all bent out of shape about it if they don't. I don't care to understand the inner workings of other people, some will say hello and some won't. No skin off my nose and I'm not concerned by their reasoning.

• I tried acknowledging 3 runners on my run this morning and was completely blanked.

• In the past two months I've run 5 days a week and only seen one runner twice in that time! We both said hello image
  • I generally acknowledge everyone I pass when out for a run, usually with a smile and wave..... if I have breath I will say Hi.

Most people respond, but it is their choice and I am not offended if they don't.

I always make a special effort to say thanks if someone stands to one side or stops in their vehicle to let me cross a road or pass by etc.

The only people I find slightly irritating are those that want to stop me and ask for directions somewhere. I always help them though...one day it may be me who is lost !

• I got a high-five the other day! image

• It depends on

- who it is?

- how knackered I am?

- what kind of run it is?

- what kind of mood I am in?

Sometimes I will acknowledge and they won't, sometimes they will acknowledge and I won't and sometimes we will both acknowledge.

I have to admit I don't really give it a great deal of thought though!

• I always acknowledge other runners with hi, a nod, a wave or a smile.

Doesn't bother me if I get ignored.

• always say hi or give a smile and a nod, 99% of runners round here do the same back, but these are country lanes, in the city people do it less.