Over to you: Ironman events

2»

Comments

• Had knee ligament reconstructed Sept '10 then could run without pain for the first time in years - moved from Parkrun in 36 min in Jan '11 to 24:38 by Oct and increased distance to half marathon then read Paula's book and did marathon then read Andy Holgate's and Chrissie Wellington's books and this summer moved into tri. Did Oly in July and Half IM in Sept and doing Outlaw next year.

Reckon tri is a way of keeping running without hammering the joints too much. Also going long is a bit of escape for me (demanding job, special needs kids).

Really excited about Outlaw next year, and very proud of being able to call myself a triathlete!

Just need to learn how to swim quicker and without puking ...!
  • Did my first olympic in about 2:30 on just what I did.... (I did get in the pool 10 weeks before and learned to front crawl badly)
    Decided to go longer as that must be harder or more challenging, so entered a half, (cowman). 
    I then found the pirates and they gave me the confidence to dare enter an ironman.  So 3 years and 5 ironmans later I am still in love with the distance.

I love the fitness training for IM gives me, and it gives me a goal.
    I love the challenge (How far do I need to swim!!!! 6 hrs on a bike !!!!, a marathon!!!!) and I love being able to still run when others are in severe difficulty - competetive..?? me - hell yes  image

Finally I love the whole age group philosphy of triathlon. Its so encompasing / accepting of people still doing their best / trying their best despite different fitness levels.

Lastly the pirates as a friendly accepting bunch of people....  They are gold.

• Thanks for all your input. Inspiring stuff image 

me..face and IronCat5 in the Hat - nice ideas about follow ups. I'll dig up the feature and look into it. Might be a separate feature in the not-so-distant future...

• I did a sprint to raise money for charity last May (my son is autistic so did it for NAS), enjoyed it so did two more sprints  and a 10k run. Decided to enter an IM for the same charity this year (oddly enough raised less money!!) and ended up doing 2 half irons to help with training, two half marathons. Joined th pirates after my IM as two of them (thanks!) helped me with cramp as I went to get my post race food! I enjoyed doing the long distance and will keep on with this distance now- the training is the hardest part- time consuming, up early, living off energy gels lol!  

• I've taken part in races since I was in my teens and my home town did their first half marathon and a few of us decided to enter it. Over the years I worked my way up to marathon distance.
    A few years back I decided that breaking all that running up with swimming and cycling would be a good idea as it would save my knees from a lot of punishment in the future.
    Did a novice sprint tri and enjoyed it. Following year i did a few more sprints and a middle distance. Failed to make the start line of the first Outlaw but have entered to do it again next year.
    I use races as a way to raise money for charity, usually ones to do with children's cancers.

• think i had a midlife crisis at the back end of last year when i realised i was 1 month away from my 40th birthday, was severly overweight and couldn't walk up the stairs without stopping for a break half way. decided to quit drinking and shovelling chips in my gob at every opportunity and get a bit of 'light' exercise (walking and occasionally jogging if i felt energetic). 

lost 3 stone by May this year and had a bet with my mate that i couldnt do 'Tough Guy' competition in June.  did it and bought a mountain bike. did a bit more running and got talking to a guy at work who did triathlons.  got and read loads of books and decided it might be quite fun.  Bought a road bike in August (thankyou CycletoWork Scheme image).

Read IronHolgs book, got inspired and found the Pirates!  logged on, signed up and within a few weeks found myself registered for Outlaw 2013!  Am learning to swim again after 20+ years of not going near a pool image

Did first Sprint Tri yesterday and loved it.  Roll on next year, can't wait.  Thanks to everyone so far for the knowledge and inspiration and thanks to my mentor and race-belt benefactor image

Bite off more than i can chew? Moi???

• I ran my first 5k race in 2011, my first two marathons this year, and next year I'm doing my first Ironman (IMUK).  Until I started running last year I'd only ever done occasional fitness -- walking, a mile or two run.  As I got fitter, dropped 30lbs, and signed up for target races (working up from 5k to marathon), I loved how I was feeling, and changing, and couldn't imagine stopping.  So I signed up for my first sprint tri (encouraged by reading Andy's book), and recently did my first longer tri (an Olympic with a shorter pool swim).  

From the moment I started getting interested in Triathlon, IM was always a fanciful target.  Now it's paid for and I have to train for it.  Exciting.  A bit scary.  Wouldn't change a thing.

• Loving reading these stories and really nice that my story inspired some of you.

• Ironholgs wrote (see)

Loving reading these stories and really nice that my story inspired some of you.

What? The thought of you in Lycra saw me in therapy for weeks. I still have to bleach the brain regularly.

I suspect in year's to come your book will be on the same list as Lance - banned (in case his Lawyers read this not that Lance, another Lance that I know)

M..eface

Can't wait to see my article in print - I'm like executive editor or something!