MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Torquayrunner - Good luck.  I dislike Lactate Threshold runs more than any other sort, worse by far than intervals.  When I do them, which is rare, I usually do a 2-mile warm-up and 3-5 mile cool-down at recovery heart-rate.  I find training to heart-rate very helpful, especially when keeping to recovery, i.e. low, heart-rate.  It takes quite some time for my heart rate to get down to recvoery levels after a Lactate Threshold run, but I do think a long recovery afterwards helps.

My race speed for 10 miles is far closer to my half-marathon speed than my 10K speed.  I don't know if that's what the sites show.  However do bear in mind that everyone is different.  I think the worst thing you could do is go too fast in an early Lactate Threshold run and injure yourself.  Thus I'd suggest being cautious about target speed.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Andy- if you run out of steam after running for 2.40, my advice would be to get lots of long slow miles under the belt. Doesn't matter how fancy the icing if the cake aint bakedimage

SGB- i hate tempo runs too- guess what I have planned later- in the heatimage

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Guys i'm going to approach my wife about doing the Chester Marathon tomorrow. Since it is so far away from me (I live south of London) I need to come up with a cunning plan to make the trip acceptable.

I was thinking of suggesting a train trip up to Chester after we pick the kids up from school on Friday. Saturday we could spend all day at Chester Zoo which I hear is very good. Then Sunday we can get the train home after the race.

My questions are:

a) is the zoo really good and can you spend a day there? My kids are only 4 (twins).

b) if I book a hotel in town is it relatively cheap to get a taxi to the zoo?

Cheers!

p.s. this is when you tell me the race has sold out but the website has not been updated image

• Khanivore, indeed you can spend more than a day in Chester Zoo and still not see it all, it is an excellent place (although I'm not sure I would want to spend all day at the zoo the day before a full ).

It is also only about 3 - 4 or so miles out of city centre so within easy taxi ride (and should imagine plenty of buses too !)

And as far as I'm aware its not sold out yet .... so we'll see you on the start line Yes ? image 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Khanivore - I went to Chester zoo just last week. It's fairly big, not as big as I was expecting to be honest, but we managed to get round the whole of it in one day. You must go to the fruit bat house. They are free to fly around and there are some whoppers. It can be quite spooky when one of them flies right in front of you ar just catches you head but definitely worth the visit.

Maybe you could also tempt Mrs K with a bit of shopping as I understand Chester is pretty good for that sort of thing

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think you should just enter it and persuade her afterwards.

• Khanivore - we've taken our children to quite a few zoos and Chester is definitely the best. You could easily spend a whole day there.

Chester shopping is supposed to be good but I wouldn't fancy it with the kids. There is a children's area at the racecourse where the marathon starts and finishes which I heard was pretty good for keeping them entertained during the race itself, plus a one mile fun run after the main race starts.

• The zoo is huge. I've spent full days there and not seen everything. Although with kids it tends to be the monorail play area cafe and shop that they like best.

You can even get the train there from Chester.

The shoppIng is good and Liverpool is on the train line too if you want more stuff.

There are also lovely parks by the river for the kids. I'd Go for a break there !
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Khanivore - Chester zoo - it is on the park and ride from the middle of town and it passes Hoole where there are loads of Hotels and B&Bs which is also only 5 mins from Train station. For the marathon there is a new pub on the course right next to the start and finish line with a kids area and town is 5 mins walk up the road. There is a second pub which overlooks the finish line which is really nice too.

In short, you wouldnt struggle if you came up without a car for a weekend at all and there would be plenty for the kids and missus to do for the 2 hrs or so they will be waiting for you on Sunday.

• Also - the Euston to Chester train journey has beeeautiful scenery. I love the canals.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Chester marathon has a little kids race where they all get a medal etc. and also has kids activities...colouring, craft stuff etc. My daughter loved it.

• senor spamsenor spam ✭✭✭

Haha Khanivore, I was going thru the same process as you a few weeks ago.  Then I did as Lit suggested to you and entered anyway.  I'd heard the shopping was good.  My challenge is not so much the weekend in Chester itself as fitting the training in without impacting the family too much.  Good luck with your discussion anyway!

• 2 miles and no calf pain image, now just got 17.5 weeks to ramp it up !!!!!!!

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Khanivore how did you get on having 'the discussion' have you managed to convince the family?

Training has now started, club session last night including 200m paarluafs along with some running at LT pace with injections of speed included, followed up by 4.83 recovery miles today with a pilates class thrown in to help with the stretches. I have a planned 9 miles tomorrow.

Nelly good to hear that you have run pain freeimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Khanivore - I just signed up and then told the family later. You need to get your priorities right!

10mi for me today....nice and warm and sweaty.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I signed up a while ago (did the first 2 but dropped out last year after several weeks of chest infection and cough during taper) ... only fly in the ointment is that my daughter now tells me that she is due to start Uni that day (if she gets the grades, which she most likely will).

So ... can I get from Leeds to Chester ... run a marathon ... and then take my daughter and her stuff to Oxford?image

Anyhoo ... training wise I'm right at the start ... 8 weeks off with PF, so just started back this week. Good to be running but sooooo much to do before October!

• Dr.Dan wrote (see)

So ... can I get from Leeds to Chester ... run a marathon ... and then take my daughter and her stuff to Oxford?image

Leeds to Oxford ... hmmm I'm sure last time I looked Chester was 'on the way, and only a short detour)

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Only problem is if you get injured or can't drive Dr Dan - can your daughter drive? (and congrats to your daughter if she gets into Oxford! - I also went to oxford.......poly).

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

God, it's too hot for running 5ks!image Only managed 5th in 18.13, but happy enough at this stage and in the middle of a stretch of 90m weeks....

• Jason- know how you feel about the heat! I did my long run today because I'm racing on Sunday, 13 miles was hard work in the heat! Well done in the 5k though. 

Nelly-Welcome back!

• Started training for this little race this week.  Roll on the niggles and sickness...  

Is this Da Thread Wiv All Da Elite Afleets In?  image

• image ... yes I'm here HeOw

*wanders off to Google the definition of 'elite'*

• I set up a Facebook group for Chester marathon a month or so back.  Anyone wants to join, it is "Chester Marathon 2013 - ONLY FOR ELITES".  Welcome all!  (just joking re the elite part). image

11 miler on plan for me today.  

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Only problem is if you get injured or can't drive Dr Dan - can your daughter drive? (and congrats to your daughter if she gets into Oxford! - I also went to oxford.......poly).

Yep, might be too risky ... will probably have to do Leicester instead the weekend after.image

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

This children's race, is it any age and do kids have to enter beforehand? My niece would love her own medal but she's only 4. I gave her my Liverpool Marathon medal last year and she loved it. 

• I'm really considering this myself as fairly local (could get a train home in 20 mins).

I've only been running 3 months but should be ok with my HM next week (most I've done is 11.75m on roads and 11 on trail). I'm hoping with another 4 months I can double the distance.

My biggest concern is getting the miles in as due to work don't have a great amount of free time during the week. No way can I see myself being able to do 30 let alone 50 miles a week.

It's one for me to aim for though.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Ed - Everyone is different in running as in most things.  To do a marathon 7 months after starting running  would be a great achievement.  A first marathon is special, I think.  Not many people would suggest setting a demanding time target, but even so one does need to run a lot just to get round on the day.  I think that a full marathon is about 3-4 times harder than a half.

From memory I trained 30-40 miles per week for my first marathon and was quite happy with the result.  For my most recent marathon I followed Pfitzinger & Douglas up to 55 miles per week and was even happier with the result.

I'd suggest you see how you feel after your half, and target a local 20 mile race in a few weeks.  I don't know if there are any; oddly enough(!) there don't seem to be too many 20 mile races round here over the summer.  A twenty mile race would give you an idea of how you're getting on.

Even if you can't find a 20 mile race I suggest doing a few 20+ mile runs before the day.  Most people find the time to train if they want it enough.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ed - you need to build your endurance...you have 17weeks. Ideally you should have done a few 20 mile runs before race day...so you need to start building up your mileage slowly but surely...about 10% a week.

Nykie - you can enter the children's race on the day - and by memory there are no age restrictions - definately saw some kiddies 4 (and under) doing it. They get a pretty decent tshirt and medal...it's all good. There is also a little kids activity area to keep them busy whilst waiting for marathon runners to finish.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh...and 17mi for me this morning. So there.

• Ed- you can definitely do a marathon in October. Just be really careful and don't build your mileage up too quickly. 

15West is right you should be adding about 10% to your long run and your weekly total each week. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get to 20 miles, just build it up gradually. 

I think I've overdone the training a bit this week, I've got a race tomorrow and my legs are still aching this morning. Has anybody got any last minute recovery tips?