Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Wrexhamrob, no I'm not doing training run on 5th. I running very well at moment, I've decided I'm going to go out with 3:30 pace and if all goes well will get home in 3:30 PB

if goes really well and feel good will move on after 20miles and if goes wrong should still get home in a good time. 

now going out for a 6mile run with strides before next thunderstorm and before big curry night!!!!

• Options

I have an entry for the 2013 race but due to a current injury I won't be in any shape to run.

Unfortunately the race organisers don't do refunds or deferral to following year, but I can transfer my entry to another runner at no extra cost.

So, does anyone want my entry for the reduced price of £25 ( £42/£44 normal price ) ? Or if you are already doing it you may know someone who is thinking of doing it.

Get in touch and I'll get the necessary details to the organisers

• Options

Hi Angus, I'm interested, was going to sign up this week. 

• Options

Hi Mark, message sent to you

• Options

morning all,

9 miles @MP last night in the humidity (we haven't had the rain here yet!) .. that is if my race pace is going to swing wildly from 8:30 - 9:30 m/m's ..... averaged out OK to a nice 9mm, but think it may be better if it was a little more consistent. image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. Was going to run 20mi today, but decided might be better for family harmony if I just run 10 (it's my daughter's birthday today); so it will have to be 20 on sunday. Hope the family appreciate the massive sacrifices I make for them!

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

10mi with 6 @ LT pace ran today, managed to maintain pace, through gritted teeth at times but it is done - weather still stupipidly hot and humid as like Bruce no rain here yet either. Recovery run planned for tomorrow and then my longest run ever - 20 big ones!!

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Stepped on the rail inside the track at the end of a rep last night. Ankle is all the colours of the rainbow. Buggered all chances of a good race. 

• Options
    Ice QueenIce Queen ✭✭✭

wrexhamrob - thanks for sharing the course elevation profile, that's good to know. 

Graeme - sorry to hear about your ankle, hope it recovers soon!

NellyP - glad you are well enough to get some training in now

Lots of fab times and mileage from everyone on the thread (you crazy people!)

I'm building up the distance, it's not going too bad so far as I'm up to 17 miles and even with a bit of walking for drinks and jelly babies I'm still just about within ten minute miles... wondering when the wheels are going to come off! Next week's long run drops down to 13 miles again which is good as I'm on standby and will have to run an uninteresting loop repeatedly so I'm close to home all the way round. At least it's traffic free!

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Wrexham, thanks for the profile, but  it looks like 1,555 ft climb to me. am I missing something?  That wouldn't be flat for me!  

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

18 miles for me today, was supposed to be 20mi but legs refused point blank to run any further. Will have to try harder next time image

Really hope that the route doesn't climb 1555ft am a little bit rubbish on hills!

• Options

Afternoon all! Finally got round to having a quick look through this thread...there are some seriously scary good runners out there! Feeling rather intimidated now. This will be my first marathon, I've only been running for 12 months and 2 weeks to be precise so I'm following a RW training plan.  

Was on track for 15 miles yesterday, my furthest distance to date. I'd broken to route down into 2 halves, once from a pub round a reservoir and back to the pub for water and loo break, then down a straight 4 mile road to another pub for water and loo, then back again to make 15 miles.

The forecast was apocolyptic from 1pm so I headed out at 10:30am...I never ever anticipated it to be so, so hot! I completed the first half of 7 miles with ease, loving the glorious views and weather. Stopped at the pub for water and they took that long to serve me...I just lost all my mojo completely image( So...the next 8miles never materialised image(

So I'm in need of a bit of a pick me up folks please. My short distances are getting faster and faster and my fitness is improving but I'm losing motivation as I'm not losing weight, have a few issues at home and the longer distances are proving somewhat of a mental challenge for me now.

Please help...all encouragement need as my mojo is running in the wrong direction!

• Options

Great run for  me today. After completing the trail marathon last Sunday and running a fast golden mile on Tue, took Wednesday steady and today a lovely 11miles at a steady 9.15 pace. Feeling so good at the moment, it's great when running feels this good.

everyone seems to be running well and following great plans. Important four weeks coming up now, speed work, disfinance, and some mid week midi distance runs at MP or faster. Did this for Abingdon 2yrs ago and it worked well for me.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Hiya, anyone need a race place?

I'm pulling out have been in touch with race peeps & can transfer the entry.

PM me if interested. Cheersimage

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

welcome anyone joning , welcome Vicky- yes there are some serious runners here , but there are serious runners of ALL standards, i'm pacing the 4hr 45group - in Shrewsbury i ran 4:29, on an undulating course. No problem with mojo going missing etc occaisionally , especially in such heat, i like your plan of loops from a pub for water and loo, good thinking. On my really long 16-18plus miles i use a camel back- with the knowledge that i will not have to carry that much water (a litre or so) in a race.

yes i posted the elevation - which should show approx where the slight inclines are, approx mle 15 and 24. There certainly is NOT 1500ft of climb image, more like 150ftimage - its probably the vagaries of connect garmin , poss a few feet up here and there. (Im running Snowdonia a few weeks later

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

hmm i keep loosing 1/2 a message - we were away in the Lakes Thursday to Sunday - so i missed my planned 15mile long run, a hilly 5 on Thursday. i may go for a 9 tomorrow night then a could of short sessions before the training run next Sunday. ANyone else planning to attend ? 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Vicky- keep concentrating on performance- well done on the improvement- and the weight will follow- gradually, maybe, but it will. At least, that's what I am telling myself!image

As WR says, don't worry about the elevation! I think it was 100m TOTAL over the 26.2m- it is a fast course- lots of PBs every year. I have PBd on both my Chester marathonsimage

I got Friday's missed 5.7m run done this morning before marshalling at Tenby 10k- great turn out- must have been 500 runners. Spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach in Tenby with the family in the sun. What a change this evening!! Almost cancelled tonight's run cos of the monsoon conditions, but it let up so I risked it.... Got 8.14m done and got home just before the heavens opened again- never seen rain like it either!!! PHEW- lucky escapeimageimage No long run today as my schedule starts on a Sunday (although I don't...) and it is a RECOVERY WEEKimageimage. Due to mismatch between my week and the schedule week, this week's mileage is a bit less and next week's (with the LR) will be a bit more... Weekly stats: 92.47m in 11.49.28 (7.40 av)

****** 10 WEEKS TO GO********imageimageimageimage

• Options

Chester Marathon entry for sale - message me if you are interestedimage. Good luck to all runners - will be volunteering again!

• Options

Thanks Guys! WrexhamRob...you're pacing the 4hrs45? That's my sort of time frame - woop woop! I'm aiming to do it in under 5hours which I think should be do-able.

What sort of pace should my long runs be at? I can do a 5K in 29minutes and 4.7miles (around a reservoir!) in 46minutes (from memory!)...I know these are shorter distances but I'm hoping that they will mean my longer distance isn't as slow as it used to be!

I'm also trying to get some interval training in when I can too!

What sort of time should I be aiming my 15 miles at? My 13 miles was done in 2 hours 11.

• Options

Hi Vicky,

Just plugging your 5K time in to the McMillan Pace Calculator and its giving a 4:42 marathon time, so you should be spot on for running with WrexhamRob, and then putting in a sprint finish to take him on the line image.

It also says your long runs should be :

Long Runs  10:37-11:50

Take a look here for the site:  http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/  
  • Options

That's fab, thanks Bruce! That's given me a much needed boost - yay! It's saying the same when I put in my half marathon times too, brill!

I'm out tonight but it's with my Running Club so it's only a casual run and I usually stick at the back to bring up the rear and although the pace isn't the fastest...it's still running and helps my trianing!

I just wish I could run all my training with club members...training on my own isn't easy!

• Options

Haven't you got some club members training for a marathon you can run with ? 

• Options

I don't think so unfortunately, all the stronger runners are too strong! They're training for triathlons and iron mans etc and the others are at the 5K or 10K standard so I'm stuck in the middle all on my ownsome!

Humph!

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

One of my friends is thinking about Chester but she's going to be driving across from Leeds on the morning of the race. I'm staying the night before but she can't. Is there parking near the start and what's the latest time she can get there? 

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I was caught out in 2011', my sister has a flat near the start and I planned to park there, but the road ws already closed so I had to sneak through the bollards and drive down the closed road to her flat.

The website says roads closed from 8:30 but it was much earlier than that, I would be looking to get into Chester for 7:30 - 8, park in one of the city centre car parks and walk down. Or There's a big posh residential area (Curzon Park) over the river where she could drive in avoiding the race route and park, then walk to the start.
  • Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Vicky,

I believe that the McMillan pace calculator has a reputation for being over-ambitious for most people's marathon times.

I'm not saying it's wrong... it is clear in saying that its calculations assume that the athlete is well trained for the distance... and the truth is that most people aren't as well trained for the full marathon as they are for shorter distances.

Maybe others will comment... but I think adding 10 minutes to your McMillan predicted time would probably be realistic.  If you do better than that, then great!

• Options

Still debating if to run the Chester Marathon as a first....lots of half mara,s under my belt but the thought of doubling the milage scares me...come on guys help me boost my confidence to press the enter button...and only 10-12 weeks to up my milage...

for one I need to get of my backside...

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Rose..  Reasons for doing it:

• Everyone says it's a really nice course.
    • Big enough to be a great atmosphere amongst runners and crowd.
    • Small enough not to be massively overcrowded.
    • Massive sense of achievement.
    • You know you've always wanted to do one.

Reasons for not doing it:

• It's gonna hurt
    • You've only got 10 weeks.. and I hope you've got a good base to work from
    • it's gonna hurt!

Go one Rose... just do it 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Rose- zip up the man/woman suitimage

Taper madness here with this recovery week- lol! 8.12m done today- and that was it! Kept it late to give me something to look forward to!! In all seriousness, I know that the cutback week is important and it will benefit me....

July Stats: 434.67m in 55.16.43 (7.38 av)image

Just a point- August will be the last FULL month of training that doesn't including a taper weekimage