MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Won't recognise many of you with only knowing your enigmatic virtual reality names!! image  And i am beverley on my number not bev!

• Weather Update from the Met Office for Chester issued at 13.00hrs today:

Sunday October 6th:

10am - Sunny 14c (feels like 13c), wind 7mph from the south with no gusts, 20% chance of precipitation (rain to us lot) 87% humidity.

1pm - Cloudy 18c (feels like 17c), wind 8mph from the south, south-west with no gusts, 20% chance of precipitation 80% humidity.

I reckon thats ok..

• Afternoon all good luck to anyone not signing on later. If anyone wants to join with the 4hr45 pacing group they're more than welcome , I'm one of the 2 pacers. I can't guarentee you a 4:45 finish ( i wish i could ) but can guarentee some good support and lots of running banter - and anyone new to this race then do run with a smile (grimace) on your face and thank the volunteers and folks manning the water stations

• Good luck to everyone running tomorrow!

Good conditions by the sound of it.

The whole corridor in the Premier Inn smells like Deep Heat, haha.

wrexhamrob I may be with you in the later stages, going to go off a bit quicker though so I can reward myself with some walking and stretching breaks later on.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone from here does...
  • Good luck everyone. I'm off to bed shortly as not been sleeping much recently with tinnitus.

Nothing is going to stop me entering this for my chosen charity though (KLS).

I think the organisers have given me a number based on the time they expect me to finish 1751image

• Hardly slept a wink last night, felt like a kid again on Xmas eve
  • Just had a crap nights sleep as I usually do! 

Almost ready to set off for Chester now. Good luck everyone!!

• Mr Puffy - found Ruphus Close shop and bought gels thanks for directions

15w - great advice throughout this thread and deserve a great run today.

Good luck to everyone enjoy your race / day and come home safe
  • REMREM ✭✭✭
    No sleep here either! Good luck everyone
  • I feel good, well rested, just had some porridge and coffee.

Glad to help Kev! 

Good luck everybody image

• Well as predicted temperature determined everything!!! No 4am cool run for me. Was so sick could only take on water and ended with v severe nausea. But......rest of body held up and organisation/support was the best image

50k entered for a hopefully freezing December after some serious nutrition advice.

Well done everyone!!!!!!! See you next year image
  • Excellent event. And summer weather for us ? How did they organise that ?

Thanks everyone.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello...just managed to get home in 2.49.32 which is a PB by about 50s. Was on for something better but last 6mi slowed a bit...and those hills towards the end nearly killed me. Still, great event again....weather was lovely although a bit on the warm side towards the end...my daughter really enjoyed the mini marathon (hasn't taken off medal since) and the activities...and post race hospitality was 2nd to none. Will post a race report (probably here and P&D thread) when I sober up a bit.

• Hi all,

Nice one 15West!

Hope everyone else had a good race too?

It was my first Chester Marathon and the first time I managed sub-4! I got round in 3:58:25, which is over ten minutes better than my previous best. Really pleased with that! image

The course was a lot more hilly than I expected. I was prepared for one big hill at 24 miles, but as you know, there were actually two at around 23/24. I couldn't believe it when I saw the second one! Even before that, it undulated a lot more than I expected.

The heat was obviously really tough too!

Looking forward to hearing how everyone got on...

Adam

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Congrats on the sub 4 Adam!

Yeah, my head was all over the shop at mile 23/24 and came across first hill (down then up) and thought afterwards that's not too bad...and then hit the 2nd hill. Killer. I lost it a bit actually around that time and thought had passed the 24mile sign when hadn't, which bummed me out a bit. I think anyone planning on hitting a certain time at Chester has to factor in those hills in last 3 miles.

• First time running Chester, 3rd marathon in all (2 Liverpool ones before). Got round in 3.44 (pb) so well pleased.

Excellent organisation.

Pace runners were really useful. I followed 3.45 pacers.

Course was good apart from the couple of hills at the end - I was forced to walk a bit.

Saw a couple of fallers but they all got up.  Saw a couple on stretchers/being attended to. Hope they were OK.

I was sick when I got home, my legs cramped and my legs won't work for a few days  but I will still have the medal and the time!

Well done to the organisers and everybody who entered.

• Well done everyone especially those who achieved their goals. I was elated to nail a 2nd sub 3 hour thanks to the pacers, other runners , marshalls,  feed station workers, and supporters.

if you didn't run today then do it next year it is an excellent event 

• What a great event... the route was good, lots of support along the way. Plenty of water stations, and those hills weren't too bad even if they were a surprise!?

My first road marathon, and very pleased with 3:48. Weather a bit warm, but rather that than rain. Excellent organisation and facilities. Definitely recommend. Well done everyone on your race days. Has anyone seen the official results up yet?
  • My first marathon, done in 3:56:53. A little peed off as feel I could have done better but my calf tightened up after three miles so it was a real effort to get round at all. Great support going through some of those villages, it really gave you a lift when you were lagging. Pre race communication was top notch, I'll be back next year

• Great event well managed with fantastic support, especially from the volunteers! But totally disappointed with my time 3:55 beating my previous pb by a massive 90secs! But Oh how hard have I worked in training running miles in all weather up and down dale, was hoping nay expecing 3:45, I've improved my 5k, 10k and 1/2 by much more than this in 2013 but marathon eludes me. Wheels well and truly fell off at 17 miles, maybe I'm not cut out for this distance.....but not giving up! Will be back net year #unfunished business.

• I think you've get to take into account the conditions today, it was draining the heat and despite what everyoen said pre race it WAS hilly.

• Thanks big man well done on your 1st Marathon sub4! Appreciate your comments, only if my previous pb was not set in a very hilly Barelona. Never mind a few weeks off then back to the drawing board.

• Yep agree it was not a flat course as described. 

15 west - the 24 mile marker was way out, it was over on the right hand side in quite an obscure place. I looked at my Garmin and it showed 23.7 which was ahead by 0.1/0.2 at that stage, 3 or 4 minutes later i ran past the 24 mile marker that was sprayed on the road.....strange

• Great race today but it certainly wasnt flat! 

I did 2.59.17, cruised round for about 23 miles but had to dig deep near the end to scrape under 3 hours. 

Well done everyone today and thanks to the pacers for running at a perfect pace all the way round. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Glad you said that Chris. Thought I was going mad.

• REMREM ✭✭✭

2.55.12.  Very sunburned and if that course is flat I'm a banana! Still, lovely city and a great race organised by super people. Although glad to be back south......

• Congratulations everyone! Fab times! Hope you are all happy. I enjoyed it and thought the support was fab.

Chris I agree with you about the 24 mile marker, same with 25 it was a bit early then I saw the spray paint on the road for it later. Meant I got back in about 05:02 not sub 5 but never mindimage Was sick this morning so pleased to actually make it to the start and had to skip the jelly babies.

I am missing from the results on the tdl website - it's the only marathon I've done and it's like I was never there image The althlete tracker service worked perfectly though so I know there was nothing wrong with my chip... Hopefully they'll put me back.
  • Don't worry too much, I googled to find that link - I don't think they're linking to it officially yet - so it may not be final. If the live tracker worked then you should be fine!