Are British cyclists clean ?

Does the recent display of British cyclists mean that they are also doping or does it mean that due to the current amount of testing, more cyclists are not doping and it is more of a level playing field ? Surely to win the tour Wiggins MUST be doping ? To be that fast surely Cavendish MUST be doping ? For team GB to dominate the Olympics as they dud surely they MUST be doping ? I mean, every cyclist has always done it and random testing proves they still do. Or does it ? Discuss....

Comments

• Why just cycling, sprinting is surely at the centre of all doping? Looking at the athletes who have been banned or who have been caught. Usain Bolt MUST be doping to be as precise as he is with his perfect timing for peak fitness, but as with Lance Armstrong the dopers are usually ahead of the testers as I'm guessing you would have to know a drug exists before you can test for it..

There must be a case for allowing an open contest where doping is allowed, the performances could be amazing, and it's probably a matter of time before a drug company gets involved legitimately.

• Maybe read a bit before asking ?

Look at the power levels riders put out when lance was winning.

Now compare them to this years. They're well down.

Why not ask the question of footballers ? They've certainly got the cash you need to dope.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I just thought most footballers were dopes.
  • in todays modern world there is no need for them ever not to be clean............hot showers and bathes are available at all hotels, hiomes and sports centres............there is just no excuse not tbe clean in britain

• David Millar was the exception but it seems mostly those dirty foreigners who got caught. It could be deduced that the cleaning up of the Sport has allowed the clean Brits to come through and win. A nice thoguht.
  • Wiggins has said in the last day or so that if he hadn't come through the GB system then he probably would have had to have doped to get to the top.   British Cycling have had a very rigorous non-doping policy for years and the top road riders have all come through the track setup run by Dave Brailsford with a few exceptions.  

that's why you're seeing them at the top - it's down to the training methods that DB and his team have adopted, rather than doping them up.

and as cougs says, these guys aren't knocking out the power that the dopers did and are competing against other non-dopers (with a few exceptions who are hangovers of the old days like Contador and Vinoukorov) so it's a more level field

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Why would they need to dope when they can just use magic wheels?image

• Cav must be clean, if he was on drugs he would be able to get up hills a lot better than he does currently.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    WiB wrote (see)

Why would they need to dope when they can just use magic wheels?image

• fat buddha wrote (see)

Wiggins has said in the last day or so that if he hadn't come through the GB system then he probably would have had to have doped to get to the top.   British Cycling have had a very rigorous non-doping policy for years and the top road riders have all come through the track setup run by Dave Brailsford with a few exceptions.  

that's why you're seeing them at the top - it's down to the training methods that DB and his team have adopted, rather than doping them up.

and as cougs says, these guys aren't knocking out the power that the dopers did and are competing against other non-dopers (with a few exceptions who are hangovers of the old days like Contador and Vinoukorov) so it's a more level field

And which one won Olympic Gold image - to be far on Contador he didnt dope he just ate some Spanish steak

• Did you see Vino is in the lance investigation ? Wiring money to Ferrari. But I think he will get away with it.
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭

A  bit racist comment by Sussex Runner about dirty foreignes.

Yeap. Always dirty foreignes dive in the penalty box (never Ashley Cole nor M.Owen), they also dope in cycling or athletics. Only Millar, he is Scottish anyway, Never D. Chambers, L.Christie...I remember some funny excuses by Crhistine Ohurugou when she misses 3 out of competition tests.

Sky cycling team did their traing camp at Mount Teide where blood samples cannot be used for the purposes of blood passport. Apparently some people have doubts about Wiggins performance.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/cycling/wiggins-says-blood-data-can-be-misinterpreted.html

• I think the "Dirty foreigners" line was supposed to be tongue in cheek Jose!

The link you give doesn't go anywhere near accusing Wiggins of doping, he just says he won't make his blood passport public, it's not as though he won't allow the authorities to view it.

• Ever the optimist, I'm really hoping that our top Brits don't turn out to be doping. Wiggo and Cav are my cycling heroes.

• Indeed. I remember a couple of riders who were the hero's of a lot of people; there names were Armstrong and Contador. I don't believe they take drugs, what do you think Bionic ?
  • When we were children, at a C of E school, we were taught that Jesus was the son of god, by the time I was about 7 i'd realised that  that he was a 2000 year old David Blaine, you just can't believe everything you see and hear, can you?

• Seriously now, being a triathlete and thus doing quite a lot of cycling,although not at pro level of course, it always was beyond me how the TdF riders can ride like maniacs for 3 weeks almost every day over very lumpy terrain without being on a little something to help them perform.