Sat 13th October

RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

We were called to be couragous, we were made to lead the way

Easy parkrun

Then XC with Jnr, we got age cats mixed up, thankfully he is U17.....

Then Solent half tomorrow... busy weekend....

Comments

• Blisters - I always think of it as good practice for in a race. I think you'll need winter boots and over shoes this morning!

OH - glad to be of help. Did it feel better than Thursday's run?

Good luck Pammie, Dustin, RFJ and Jnr and anyone else racing today.

What: an hours easy run
    Why: taper
    Last hard: resting so much
    Last rest: 12/10

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH and RFJ

Wow a choice today image

Yesterdays lyrics: Oasis and 'Roll with it'.

What: Easy run

Off out with MrsB shopping then for and a meal later as its our 23rd Wedding Anniversary tomorrow.

Have  a good one

• Morning!

Hope racers go well Good to see you starting the thread RFJ. No idea on the lyrics, though!

Am going to try and do a bit of Christmas shopping! May be my last chance, apart from online: at least I will be in for the deliveries, the consultant tells me!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What: Darts (AKA flu jag clinic)
    Why: It has to be
    Last Hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Lyrics: no

LMH - just a solo 3 miles last night but didn't feel quite so leaden legged ... but cold with Easterly wind!
    Alehouse Argh Christmas shopping NO...

RFJ good speed tomorrow ...
    and all others racing this weekend Pammie, Dustin ...

BM Happy 23rd! to you and Mrs BM

• Glad I'm not on the Aberdeen boat tonight.
    Easterly gales and due to dock 24h after scheduled time (on a 8h trip)image

• OH: Glad I'm not on it either ! Cheers tooimage

• A beautiful morning down here in the almost-south-west. One that was enjoyed by quite a lot of cycle clubs as well from what I saw. Calm, clear, and a little misty fog in the river valley first thing. Plenty of upper body layers, but the legs remained on display. LMH was absolutely right. I needed neoprene bootees to keep my tootsies toasty this morning. Unfortunately I don't own a pair. Otherwise I'd managed to guess correctly. I never actually took off any layers at all.

50 bike miles done and dusted, and home for 11:00. Well, I was nearly home at 11, and haven't had a Bala King. So that must be OK.

Enjoy your races everyone, or long runs, or cosying up by the fireside, whichever is most appropriate.

• Good afternoon. No idea on the lyrics.

Had a crack at the Marple Parkrun (my 10th different event), which was really muddy, across grass mainly with occasional trails, not a concrete path in sight. Time was on the slow side (20.38, I think) but was generally pleased with 4th finisher. Of course, it's not a race...

LSR tomorrow, going to try and pack in the training before XC season in two weeks. Best of luck with whatever you're doing!

• 7D: well done! Marple is, I have been told, not a very quick course: in any case a couple of months ago you would have been delighted with that time! Which marathon are you thinking of doing: if you are thinking of Manchester and enter online you get £5 off if you use the code MEN5.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Not a great nights sleep woke up a few times last time at 4 bathroom visit then couldn't really get back so really knackered and didn't fancy getting up but i did.

Got to the park when i found it thought i wouldn't but got there thanks to one man and his dog, plans were a seasons best (sub 25:44) love to get a sub 25 but wasn't sure if i was in that shape yet) and i never have running under 40 mpw

Anyhow got to the start met a few peeps a couple of new ones there were a lot there (123 finishers, not bad for an inaugural) and we hit the road Not the great of starts stood far too back congested start first mile in 8:13 that included stop to re-tie shoelace it was 3 laps and pretty much path all the way except for a bit of grass on each lap. mile 2 7:49 much better Felt ok but working hard more to come i think had no idea after what time mile 3 was till after.

Got to finish stopped watch and had an OMG moment 24:40 (officially 24:47) 50th out of 123 and 5th out of 46 ladies (8 seconds between 3rd and 5th)

But well happy

• Well done Pammie: making good progress!

Christmas shopping...got one thing for eldest son, and a few ideas for a few other people. It was quite quiet but after a couple of hours I had had enough! Can't really think about Christmas yet, but I guess its a case of having to.

• Well done Pammie - great result.

7D - doesn't sound like that's ever going to be a fast course but a 4th place gives you a good idea of where you are.

Blisters - cheap bit of kit but essential. Glad you escaped a telling off. Hope you've enjoyed the rest of your day together.

Alehouse - you are organised! Go for the online or send the offspring option!

7 miles for me this morning in near perfect conditions, if we get the same or maybe a degree or two warmer at Abingdon I'd be happy. The 7 miles came in at under MP though I did push the last mile (I was visualising the last 3/4 mile at Abingdon and hitting the track for my stadium finish). So - where do I go from here? Another hour (possibly a little easier) tomorrow or an hour on the turbo just to satisfy my exercise OCD?

• 7D & Alehouse, MARPLE! I grew up there, and if there's a park run then the park I'm thinking of doesn't have a flat part to it. Actually, there's not much that is flat there. Even the canal has got a slope (16 lock rise). Memories are coming flooding back, but I have no real reason to return.

Brilliant, Pammie! I think that I detect the effect of training and racing bedding in. It seems like you gave an awful lot on the course, and 50/123 & 5/46 are great stats.

My afternoon was pleasantly family-ish, an Apple Day at Snowshill Manor, Glos. I only mention it because as I was leaving I spied a modern version of a penny farthing. It had a 27" front wheel, much smaller than the original, but it was quite a challenge to ride. No rake on the forks, and a fixie. I did about 5 laps around the car park, almost coming a cropper twice. But it did add a few hundred metres to my morning's ride, allowing me to be a bit more honest about the 50 milesimage

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

rfj thats a very busy schedule!

alehouse xmas shop, impressed, do mine a day or two before...
    nice cycling blisters
    7 daughters sounds like a nice park run
    pammie, thats brilliant, how happy you must be!
    nice one lmh

did 5 mile xctry, bit short actually.  It does a lap and 3/4 round a field at teh start which I do not like and promptly found myself in last position, first mile 9.04 though so I wasn't massively slow! Anyway caught a lady after a nice downhill bit and finished tons ahead of her.  Overtook another who I believe dropped out, as did others. All in all when I settled I felt ok, I have  a long way to go and still weight to lose but the aim is to get out there and keep doing it without getting crocked again! So I am happy.

What: that race

why: club league

last hard: that was

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Good luck all racers! Happy anniversary birkmyre! alehouse I've not bought any presents yet but I did buy a thing to display cards in and my sister's already prepared a list! Staff at a hotel near work were dressed as Santa handing out mince pies this week...

What: Quick gym visit.
    Why: No time for a run.
    Last Hard: Tuesday.
    Last rest: Thursday
    Lyrics: Nope

Biggish run planned for tomorrow. Got the Cabbage Patch 10 mile race next Sunday!

• GGG/Wabo:  re presents I haven't got much choice at the moment...don't know whether I will be able to walk round the shops by Christmas! Hardly in a festive mood, though! And well done at the X-C Wabo:  I think that finds you out more than anything, particularly as you don't get many "fun" runners.

Blisters: for old times sake...

• Well done Wabo - you're out there and doing, it will come back and the weight coming off will help.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Birkmyre Happy anniversary for tomorrow

Ale, we have 2 more birthdays before Christmas yet....

Well done 7D and Pammie

Easy parkrun this morning as promised (23:30)

Farley Mount XC this afternoon.... longest in the 5 race series, 4 laps and 1 big draining hill each lap..... 6.10m and 131st place, serious hard work despite not going flat out due to Solent Half tomorrow, from the splits its easy to see where the miles fell that did not inc the hill - 7:17, 7:16, 6:48, 7:29, 7:18, 6:52 plus .23 for the last bit.... followed up with some nice stretching in the steam room at the gym....

Jnr finished 29th in the U17s for 4.85k in 18:34 doing 2 laps of our route...

Now to feed up / drink up and rest for tomorrow....

• Alehouse: was thinking about the Manchester marathon, makes a lot of sense, home turf, and even though it's expensive (that code does help though) it's flat and the cost would actually be lower than going somewhere else and paying to stay over, etc. That said I was looking at Lochaber, partly because I've never been farther north than Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Well done Pammie and fair play to RFJ/Jr for what sounds like a pretty serious undertaking.

• 7D Blisters
    I'm from that neck of the woods too hailing from Stockport, although moved to far north since.
    Well done RFJ & jnr. All the best for tomorrow ...

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Evenin' all
    Birks – congrats on WA
    Blisters – good stuff on the bike
    7D – well done on the PR and Wabo too with the xc
    Pammie – excellent progress, well done!

Like RFJ was at Farley (and good luck for tomorrow!), although I didnt do a morning 5k...
    Solid, if unspectacular run. Think I was 179th in 46:08, bit bewildered as was slower than last year, but all other indicatiors would say I'm running in general a good 30s /mile quicker...will check and compare with last years overall results. Perhaps a bit conservative on laps 1 and 2, but took a few on the final hill & felt strong on the last lap, continuing to overtake for most of it (including 4 on the last 100m run in).

Still another xc chalked off...

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Dustin, take into account the conditions, I was down on what I normally would like to do, and even though did this on the old 3 lap course my average mm was down by over 20 secs, so dont beat yourself up over it and well done and good to see you and chat earlier.