Longest Day (Ironman) 2004 - Carl's thread

Comments

• Andrew - hope the back improves. Yesterday is the first time I can remember actually having a sore back after riding, it's amazing how an extra hour in the saddle hunched over the handlebars can affect you! Thankfully none the worse for wear today, and hopefully you'll be the same after your weekend ride.

I take your point on the non-essential nature of speed in completing an ironman. In January all I wanted to do was to be able to finish, then as the training has been creeping up you start thinking, sub-14, sub-13, whatever, is not out of the question. I think I need to remember my initial goal which was just to finish, will leave time targets for the next one. I may do a couple of quicker short sessions, intervals or something, as I feel up to it - but don't want to risk burning out.

Carl - related to the above I'll be interested to know how your TT (which btw you must be pleased with - congratulations) affects your training for next week. Sounds like you've had a big week this week, are you cuttting the hours next week?

As for the general nature of the endurance work I don't think I'd get hung up on haivng breaks in there. For the run I'm planning on walking the aid stations which, as I understand, are approximately every 2 miles, so that is how I'm training now in my long runs - walking 1 minute every 2 miles. And after yesterday's ride I think it would be pretty hard to do 180km non-stop in the saddle. I must've had about 7 pee breaks (can't bring myself to pee down my legs) and a couple of stops to replenish supplies. Only ever a minute at a time, but good to get out of the aero position and stand for 60 seconds...
  • Superdaz, this week wis a heavy week (done 10 hours already and have a 90mile bike tomorrow) next week is to then I have a rest week so will cut back to about 4 or 5 hours. The TT I did was just on my own but found no ill effects really, the day after (yesterday) I had a swimming lesson, though must say legs felt a little tired and last night I did a 16+ mile run. Today is a rest day thankfully. If all my training goes to plan I should be between 14-15 hours and don’t envisage having a major problem with the overall cut-off but still a little concerned about the swim.

My plan for Longest Day will be to alternate front crawl and breast stoke every 5 minutes or so. For the biek im just going to aim to set out about 14mph and build up gradually to 16 in the middle and slow back down to 14 towards the end. For the run ill probably run 9 mins walk 1 or just see how I go but im darn sure trying to run it will be a bad idea and ill blow up after 10 miles or so.

The speed work is tempting but im being very careful with it. Just using it to make my training a little different but will be very careful and ensure I don’t overdo it or that it affect my key long sessions.
  • I'm cutting by 50% next week too, think I will probably need a bit of a rest after this week. Have one longish ride tomorrow followed by a short run, then looking forward to recovering.

I'm not a strong swimmer by any stretch of the imagination, but I always find breast stroke so tiring (probably due to my technique). I'm pretty lazy when it comes to swim training, in fact this is the first week that I've actually made it to the pool 3 times instead of 1. Had a good endurance session this week, got up to 2 miles and then the attendants closed half the pool (width-wise) so that some school kids could use it!
  • I'm off for a ride in the morning as I worked longer today than expected. And then do my run in the evening or even monday. Carl if you don't do it already then get used to swimming after just eating some energy bars or gels and having a good drink. Even a quick swim of an hour would mean an hour without nutrition right at the start of a long race. We wouldn't go an hour of the bike or run without taking something in. And theres no aid stations on the swim(I wouldn't recommend drinking the water). Front crawl is the most efficient stroke for energy put in to speed so its worth working on that for the whole race.
  • lol barthorpe you have caught collier disease

the only trouble is that melikitis is more severe... i fear i might get whupped at florida
  • Andy - huh? Collier Disease, melikitis? explain lol.

You still ok for next Sunday (I am) can you email me your address and a contact number. Use my work email as my home one is still playing up - work addy = Carl.Barthorpe@Abbey.Com My mobile no is 07762 257710.

Andrew - I'll try what you said about swimming after the bars, trouble is im still struggling with the swimming as I get bad aches in my forearms and cant put enough swim time to build up my crawl stamina, still working at it though.
  • Update, week commencing 19/4/04.

Mon – 50 mile bike (3 hrs – ave 15 mph)
    Tue – 4 mile run (tempo) & 40 minute swim
    Wed – 40 mins Gym & 8 mile run (tempo)
    Thur – 30 mins Gym & 1 hr bike time trial (19.5 miles)
    Fri – 30 minute swim (Lesson) & 16+ mile run (2hr 45mins)
    Sat – Rest
    Sunday – 85 mile bike (5.5hrs approx) – two long stops as was out with group.

Total training time – 15.5 hours approx

Another good week, still building endurance but put in a little tempo/speed work. Will be very careful with this.

This coming week should be my longest yet with 16hrs+ not to mention a brick session from hell on Sunday (cheers Andy). The week after will be a well earned rest week.
  • Well, went out for a ride this morning(sunday) and not too bad so treated myself tonight with a tub of haag and daas and a dvd. Now this is what I call ironman training.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    <<<<gasp!!>>>>

The truth is out!

Andrew's a girl!!

lol

;o)
  • I didn't think of it like that, oh dear! That explains the love of chocolate and obsession with my weight, I've got to stop shaving my legs.
  • Good idea to do a course practice, but just be aware that swimming in the lake at Gailey is restricted, you can't just turn up and swim as the water is used by the sailing club. BCT open water sessions will start towards the end of May and will be on a Friday evening, probably starting at 6pm.
  • Swimming in gailey before the race, thats like having a jab before going on holiday. Build up the immune system. Good idea.
  • I have a tub of Ben & Jerries Cookie Dough nearly every weekend (had 2 last week). I have made a pact with myself to cut that out now that ive entered the last 12 weeks of training (well maybe a tub every 4 weeks).
  • Well,2hr bike yesterday and now I've just done a 16 ml run. I think thats my Longest Day training done. Wheres that entry form gone. Oh bugger I forgot about the swim bit, better go and fill the bath. Twix ice cream tonight it was on offer in safeways so I bought two. I am very good at carbo loading, it is the most important part of the training after all (And a twelve week taper)
  • I just had a thought that might be useful to the odd person or two regarding feeding on the bike.

If you haven't done long races before you might not have had practice in taking water bottles off volunteers at aid stations, (and chucking away empty ones without hitting other cyclists in the designated zones/topping up open-topped water bottles mounted on aero bars, etc.)

I shouldn't admit it, but I was quite wobbly when I first practised it, but it was worth it.
  • carl

sunday sounds good - what time?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Andy and Carl - you need to train in the Chilterns.

B@stid hills AND Beechdean ice cream. Locally made (I run through the cows regularly) and on a par with Haagen Daz.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I meant Andrew and Carl.

Though Andy is more than welcome too...

(but I doubt if you'd cope with the hills)
  • See you on Friday Andy, we can sort out the arrangements then. Aiming to leave MK around 7.00-7.30 so should be over your way before 9.00. Guess we can start around 9.00. Anything I need to bring apart from my bike, fueling and a smile?

I wouldnt cope with the hills, last Sundays ride went up Burton Dasset, we hit a 1 in 10 and that ripped me to pieces, ran out of gears and was $shiting myslef id run out of steam and just topple over - legs were buring like crazy.

Looking forward to seeing Jj cheering us on and passing drinks out at the feed station.
  • Eh! who me or him? Hills, I love them, can't get up them very fast(having the gavitational pull of a small moon) but I would rather go up than down. No sense of achievement going down.
    I suppose I am officially in training now, seeing as I have been on a bike and been for a run. I will aim to get one long run and ride in a week for the next seven weeks till I go on holiday then its just a four week taper(do nothing but eat) till LD.That should get me round.
    Carl if I get a chance to ride the course It will be the saturday before I go away (19th June) so if you want to do it, let me know. This of course hinges on my ability to train between now and then or I will be just holding you up!(thats not a joke).
    Had a tub of sainsbury's 'chocolate, cookies and cream' last night, very nice. Does anyone remember safeway's 'Motor city cookie' from about 4 years ago. Excellent and really cheap, but not around any more. Shame.
    Is that o.k. with the paragraphs?
  • Just had a thought. If BCT swim sessions are going to be on friday nights then going up on a fri afternoon and swimming, with a ride of the course on the sat could be an idea. And a little jog off the bike on the run course. Of course.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    lol

Andrew I was just about to praise your paragraphs, and you mentioned them yourself.

Much better.

Have some ice cream.
    :o)

(And the hills comment was for Andy/candy. He lives in a very flat place)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Beechdean ice cream

Look at those pretty pictures of the countryside and imagine me bounding effortlessly through the fields...
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    (and email them to tell them to get rid of the irritating cow sound file)
  • Oh, just wondered. I live in 'Biggin Hill' which kind of gives it away really.
  • So the guy on the home page says to the other guy 'we'll let her run for a minute then set the dog on her'
  • Andrew, im very tempted by the course recce 20th June but that is the day of the Stoke on Trent Marathon (my final long run).

Is there any way you can do the week before?

If not ill have a think and see if I can pluck up the nerve to fight the boredom of running for 4hrs on my own.
  • 20th is the sunday. A long bike on the saturday and then the marathon on the sunday would round off your distance work perfectly. You could then have a good rest for a week or so and taper till the race with some faster sessions, you won't lose your distance fitness in a month if you are still ticking over. I am pretty easy for whichever weekend. As long as I can get 3 or 4 reasonable rides in before then I will do it, no problem. I went up in 2002 a couple of times to do the course before the race and had two horrible rides. Which can be good because they build your mental strength. One was an all day rain affair with punctures and punctured spares the other was an all day raging headace day. But they worked, when it came to race day and my back was the worse it has ever been I was able to just sit up and poodle home knowing that it could have been worse.
  • Oh S*d it - 300 - I waited long enough...

Andrew - you poodled home ?

Kinky.
  • Ok pencil it in Andrew, ill decide by the end of the week but am pretty sure ill go for it. Going to be a full Ironman in three days, if I cant manage that theres no pint turning up 18th July.

Anyone else fancy joining me/us for the swim Friday, Bike Course on Saturday (with a lap of the run to make it a brick) and then Stoke On Trent Marathon on Sunday?