Traumatised by a horror film as a child...

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

Two films stand out for me.

The first is Alien. The original one, which was imho a masterpiece of gradual suspense-building with one moment that frightened the bejasus out of me, in that it startled me and made me jump. That was the bit with the monster and John Hurt's stomach ...

But the one that had a lasting impact on me was Marathon Man. Lawrence Olivier as That Dentist. I've not been able to watch it since it came out. Just thinking about That Scene gives me the heebie jeebies. Seriously.

"Is it safe?" ... excuse me, I need to leave ... image

I love that film!  And the book image

• Did any of you actually watch BBC's Ghostwatch? It was so frightening.

• Tales of the unexpected did it for me

• seren nos wrote (see)

Tales of the unexpected did it for me

The one about the screaming trees that could feel pain. Argh!

• I remember it Rickster but I'm older than you so I cottoned on fairly quickly that it was a spoof. Thought it was quite cleverly done though.

• Hammer House of Horror - the TV series - recently bought the box set & it still gives me the creeps.

• Rickster wrote (see)

Screen Two: Ghostwatch, shown on Halloween night 1992. I was 16 at the time and saw....

I remember it, it was interesting, but really, scared of tv at 16? Hadn't you figured out that all tv and films are made up by then?

• lardarse wrote (see)
    Rickster wrote (see)

Screen Two: Ghostwatch, shown on Halloween night 1992. I was 16 at the time and saw....

I remember it, it was interesting, but really, scared of tv at 16? Hadn't you figured out that all tv and films are made up by then?

It was filmed to seem like a live documentary, so yes, I was scared shitless.

• I saw it on the night.

..scared of ghosts at 16? Are you still scared of ghosts, do you believe in them?

• No, I don't believe in ghosts now.

• Bruce C wrote (see)

One more thing that really did scare me, and still does to this date ....

the faceless nun in the rocking chair in the old Armchair Thriller series !!  imageimageimage

Rickster wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

I'd forgotten about both of those. image I won't be able to sleep tonight now. image

What about the one where you drove through a mist to a village where everyone was zombie-fied and had bad teeth and you couldn't get out. At the end, they managed to escape and stopped a police car to ask for help and the policeman smiled and he had bad teeth... image My mum thought it was funny but I was afraid to go to bed. 

I'm a total scardey cat. I went to the cinema to see a horror film a few years ago and ended up sitting with my jacket over my head 'cos I didn't want to look.

I don't believe in ghosts but films about them scare the crap out of me. image I'm scared of the dark unless I manage to pull myself together. It's an effort.

• I was traumatised by "Die Hard 2"

Probably not so much the film itself, as the fact that Jimmy Saville took me to see it...
  • Azacaya wrote (see)
    Bruce C wrote (see)

One more thing that really did scare me, and still does to this date ....

the faceless nun in the rocking chair in the old Armchair Thriller series !!  imageimageimage

Rickster wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

I'd forgotten about both of those. image I won't be able to sleep tonight now. image

What about the one where you drove through a mist to a village where everyone was zombie-fied and had bad teeth and you couldn't get out. At the end, they managed to escape and stopped a police car to ask for help and the policeman smiled and he had bad teeth... image My mum thought it was funny but I was afraid to go to bed. 

I'm a total scardey cat. I went to the cinema to see a horror film a few years ago and ended up sitting with my jacket over my head 'cos I didn't want to look.

I don't believe in ghosts but films about them scare the crap out of me. image I'm scared of the dark unless I manage to pull myself together. It's an effort.

now i'm going to be remembering the mist and the bad teeth all night .....thanksimageimage

• I used to read a lot of Stephen King as a child but then had to follow it up with a chapter of Enid Blyton before I could go to sleep.

• Enid Blyton could be quite traumatising too! Good old racist sexist xenophobia
  • lardarse wrote (see)

But you did at 16? ok image

Fuck off shit breath.

• Threads

Don't know if anyone remembers this, basically it's about nuclear war and the aftereffects.  It was released in the early 80's and scared the living shit out of anyone who's seen it

Trust me, if you've seen this....you won't have forgotten it!!

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

What scared the cr*p out of me as a child was watching The 100 lives of Black Jack Savage...When the snarks came for him (creatures that can transport Jack to Hell through an entrance at the base of the tree where he was originally hanged), I could not bear to watch it. I can still hear the high pitched shrieking of these horrific creatures. I don't understand how Walt Disney thought it was suitable for children!

For those of you who fancy learning more, visit Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_Lives_of_Black_Jack_Savage

• kittenkat wrote (see)

Anyone remember Sapphire and Steel? The one when they couldn't get out of the nursery and there was one about a petrol station.

yep, Joanna Lumley and David McCallum. strange SF concept of them playing time travelling entities with elemental traits?

• Crispybug wrote (see)

Threads

Don't know if anyone remembers this, basically it's about nuclear war and the aftereffects.  It was released in the early 80's and scared the living shit out of anyone who's seen it

Trust me, if you've seen this....you won't have forgotten it!!

I remmeber the cartoon one.when the wind blows ... raymond briggs............the snowman  but so sad and poignant.........

• Huffety puffety Ringstone Round. 
    If you lose your hat it will never be found, 
    So pull up your britches right up to your chin, 
    And fasten your cloak with a bright new pin, 
    And when you are ready, then we can begin, 
    Huffity, puffity puff!

thisis fromthe quatermass prodution that the bbc did in 1979............i still remmebr the song and how certain people were all set on gathering in onwe place to disappear

• I'll see your "don't play on the train tracks", and raise it with a "spirit of dark and lonely water"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6IVUvVsAs
  • man, that ghost watch on bbc, i was 13.. scared the crap outta me.

• The Village of The Damned (the original not that crap one that Christopher Reeves was in...that was only scary as it was so bad!!)

There was an episode of Dr Who that particularly scared me as a child (I've mentioned this one before and no one remembers it) but it had something to do with a little rubber doll...they found it "struggling in the curtains!!" *shivers*

I do seem to remember watching a lot of Dr Who from behind the sofa image

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

The Incredible Hulk - the TV episodes, not the more recent film.

I could watch the programme up to when I could see him change and then after he'd changed I was also fine, but for the actual changing part, I had to hide behind the chair. Man, that bit scared the heck out of me.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I remember Village of the Damned. 

I used to have a colleague who had pictures of her kids on her desk. 

They all looked like the Midwich children image