Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Right the 2014 thread is started - hope i got the important spelling right.

Looking forward to all the race reports form this year nowimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Always going to be a PW, but enjoyed today, stopping to chat and run with friends for a while. Managed to get around without straining anything in 3.5x. Tight glutes from 17m made running on the flat or downhill difficult, but fine going uphill! Ran all the way up from Waunfawr for once, but couldn't do the same going down-lol! Just the shock of going from zero miles to 26.2image

Good news is I am back! Time to start building againimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Off to Y Pantri in a bitimage

• Well done jason glad you made it round!

• OMG. The last hill killed me this year and left hamstring locked solid with 400 metres to go.

Still collected fourth bit of slate and will be back next year for # 5

Although it is a brutal race I love it. I love the people that run it. I love everything about it.

See ya next year image
  • I cannot believe I didn't spot you today FR (even without my glasses!). My hammies were cramping up on that climb and my calves were cramping up on the descent - hobbled to the finish (not pretty!)

The Snowdonia Marathon once again showed why it is (in my opinio) the best UK marathon - organised by people who really care! I thought the marshalls and the support were excellent today.

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Frodo (&mr Frodo ) that's fantastic news, hope all is well - though I agree, I'm not sure giving birth 2wks ago is a good enough excuse!!

Well done guys

fab race again today - glad I beat the worst of the weather though! 4:14 for me, 4:25 for Mr panad. Really pleased with that time&despite cramping on and off from Rhyd ddu, and especially on the final descent/flat bit in Llanberis I felt good

Thank you SS for the much needed tea, coffees and flapjack post race - restored Mr panad and me enough to stagger back up the hill to fachwen
  • That last hill ??? I'm reporting it to someone - it was cruel !!
  • Cougie.... I don't know what was worse that or the downhill and the gusty winds that followed it.

After an epic journey across from York yesterday after a 3 hour drive turned into a 6 hour drive because of traffic, I managed a reasonably comfortable 3.49. Which was way beyond my expectation. I felt at the end that maybe I could have gone faster one some points because I still felt like I had a fair bit of strength and pace left. Maybe that was just the adrenaline rush at the end.  But even after driving back to York, I fell ok. Fingers crossed it will be a good setting stone for next year.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement  over the past few weeks. Bring on next year.

• And who was the lovely lady running in a nurses uniform?
  • Cruel and incredibly long........

HUGE thanks to everyone who stopped to chivvy me along, apologies if i was grumpy or quiet, to be honest i was pooped from the 1st hill onwards. Nurse uniform was hot, hot, hot and no i dont mean in a sexy way. 

2:10 to half and 2:40 to the finish got me a 4:50 finish. Happy with time but no desire to repeat it ever again. 

• Thoroughly enjoyed today though a tough one.

Time not great (5h23) but what hey, wasn't looking for a PB.

Managed first half in 2h08 without pushing myself but got slower after Beddgelert. Bwlch y Groes was unrelenting. By that time wind was fairly strong and buffeted?? us around a bit. Legs spent so even final descent was slow.

Revived by few cups of tea and changed into dry clothes, I then got drenched again walking back out to b+b. Dinner with daughter at Peak Restaurant.

Nice to meet WABO, Camlo and Jenf on the run.

Good to have done but right now am in no hurry to sign up for SNOD2014
  • Oh cross post FR, you obv picked the pace up after you left me..... 

• JB. I started in nearly last place so even with my dismal performance overtook 800 runners. You were at the sharp end. I was at the blunt end
  • Great to meet you Camlo. See you next year image
  • Great day - got the challenge I wanted, especially that final descent!! 

Running out of water was a very poor show, though - after 31 years I would've expected that to be right image

otherwise a truly super experience, and very happy with my 4:38 time image

• Very happy with 3.10.14. Great challenging course, crowds very supportive. the climb at 22mile was brutal! 

Well done to everyone who took part image

• Hope all you guys and girls finished in one piece and had enjoyable runs. treatment on knee problem kept me busy for the last two weeks but I made it around in 3:50.

reached the top of the last hill with no more than tight muscles but my calf almost blew up at 24 and I limped down the last section.

great event, my third SNOD, but can someone please send me an application form for my local golf club and prevent me from running any more marathons.

see you in 2016!

• Well done everyone. Hope you all got round safely and without injury. Once again superb organisation and fantastic support - I felt like I was the leader running down Llanberis high st with all the crowds. Loved every minute of it and even managed to take over 4 mins off my pb finishing in 3:32 - no idea where that came from ! image
  • Thanks again to organisers and marshals for another superb race

• I finished bang on my target time of 3:45 hours. I thought I was going to beat it (I was at mile 21 in 2:50 hours) but that last uphill and downhill was brutal - I've only ever run flat marathons before so that was a new experience! I may enter next year and try and take a bit of time off, now that I know what to expect.

Thoroughly enjoyed the race. There were some nearly broken souls up at the top of mile 24! Great organisation and volunteers/marshals, well done to everyone involved.
  • 2:55 as T Rex predicted for me. Although 2 min 16 sec faster than last year I finished 6 places lower. Race went ok steady to the top of the pass and then gradually caught people all the way around. 

Right quad started to tighten about 16 miles followed by the left a few miles later this slowed me down a bit, but not to bad. My only gripe was with the cups. I'm not sure if they left the foil lids on for the people further back, but apart from one drink station they took the lids off. This was like a challenge from the cube. Try to get a 2 inch high cup from someone's hand to your mouth before it is empty. Great race though, well organised and marshalled. 

• Well done Wilder, that's a cracking time.

This morning my Quads feel rather sorry for themselves, which prevented me enjoying that extra hour in bed. Otherwise I feel not to bad. I hear of people suffering from DOMS. But have any of you ever suffered from Delayed onset chaffing? Because I didn't seem to have any on the course, got changed after SNOD, drove home, jumped in the shower and almost went through the roof with it.

• What a perfect day for the race. Except for quad fatigue on miles 22-23, I ran a very controlled race. Finished well (4:38:04) More than an hour faster than last year. Safe journeys and quick recoveries to all.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, just checking in now I'm back home. Getting some lunch and race report later.

(((((hugs)))) to Frodo.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

well done everyone enjoy a lovely rest today

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    LE - could it just have been the post-race high that prevented you from noticing the chafing?

Legs not too bad here, definitely know I did something yesterday, but can get up&down stairs ok! Ribs are really sore though, which made for an uncomfortable night image oh well, got half-term now to recover image
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

What a brilliant marathon! The scenery, the marshalls, the runners were all stars! I stuck to my plan of slow and paced myself well, and ran around the mountain in 4.44, I am SO happy! feeling good today, just a bit achey in the glutes, I blame that last hill. Great to meet up with some of you on route.

will I be back next year? probably not, but I would definitely recommend it as ' a must do' marathon for anybody.

• http://www.s4c.co.uk/chwaraeon/e_marathon_eryri.shtml channell S4c tonight at 8:30 for an hour of re run pleasure, with English subtitles.

What a great day, wow all those fast runners sub 4 hrs!! .

My time was almost precisely as last year but a few secondssat 4:59:46. Once  again amazing scenery, great cameraderie from runners Marshalas and supporters alike. My goal was to try an knock 10 mins off last time , trying to go steady early on to keep some in reserve for the last hill. My running buddy was going a bit fast for me on the half mile to Pen y Pass so he went ahead and finished at 4:25 - 25min off last year, with Dublin to come he' s flying!  

Comparing with last years on garmin connect compare - I was faster early on and slower late on - but still managed to give myself a good talking to after the Waenfawr feed station to try and keep jogging even though slowly - especialy as my walk was very slow. Near the top I stated calculating if  I could get under 5 hrs