Monday 19th November 2012

2»

Comments

• Just back from consultant. He is pleased with progress and explained a couple of things:
    - when I had the op I had a peroneal block, and this will have damaged some of the nerves in the lower leg and foot, and, whilst these will recover over the next couple of months, will cause some discomfort in the meantime;
    - where my leg and foot were shaved I seem to be having an allergic reaction as the hair grows back;
    - I have been having some pain in my heel: it hadn't sunk in that he had also shaved a piece of a heel spur off. I had signed that this would happen, but...!

So he doesn't want to see me until next year! First port of call for any issues is the physio: see her next on Friday morning.

Tom: your news sounds quite optimistic. Take it really easy this week, with lots of appropriate stretching. Don't be tempted to do too much: too little would be better in the short-term, I suspect.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 7D what a great report and it sounds like a fantastic race.
    Tom, that was a good and positive feedback report. Sacro-illiac is a first year runner's injury. Can you please remind me how late this injury is? I was also just watching the Kelly Holmes TV programme tonight, and she talked about the mental anguish that they never treat when dealing with the physical injury.
    Alehouse, I think that everything will mend in due course. After all, the medics are watching, and they advise for some natural body repair time.

This weekend we were away.
    Friday: 5 mile run, (easy)
    Saturday: 50 mile bike a.m. 30 minutes length swim pm
    Sunday: 20 min lengths swim and some standing about.
    Sunday pm: 1 hour swim training, about a mile.
    Monday: 20 miles wet on the bike.

• You are right, of course, Blisters: everything will heal eventually, and on the scale of things, particularly given my age, I am doing quite well. However...

Looking forward to 2013 (more likely 2014).
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AH...what age....I had double arthroscopy last year and informed opinion was I wouldn't run again yet consultant told me if I listened to my body I could carry on, not as fast as before...Everything does heals in time, just takes longer. I'm aiming for a GFA this year and really believe it can be done and have no contra indicators. Combination of patience (Which I never had pre 50), controlled progression and will power. You sound like a guy who has all three. I lok forward to your progress and greater understanding. Good luck and I really hope you get "Where you want to be"