Will losing body fat/weight improve stamina?

Hello,

Can any one advise if losing body weight/fat will improve stamina for running long distances? 

Comments

• Losing some weight will definitely, in my opinion, make running long distances feel easier..... Not sure if that anything more than having less weight to carry around, but I've gone from 14st to 11st, and it has made a massive difference on my running.
  • Basically every pound "Overweight" costs 2 seconds per mile so in a marathon 1 stone overweight could be worth around 12 mins. If you are carrying excess it stands to reason that the core is working harder

• It won't improve stamina as such. You need to train for that. It will make it easier for you though.

Run a mile with a heavy backpack on.

Now take it off

Run the mile again. Its easier.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    It won't improve stamina as such. You need to train for that. It will make it easier for you though.

Run a mile with a heavy backpack on.
    Now take it off
    Run the mile again. Its easier.

Isn't it true to say that running "with a heavy backpack on" is much better training, and that it improves your stamina?  So the converse must be true... losing weight is bad for stamina. image

• I've never found it like that. Running with a backpack just slows you down a bit and doesnt help you with your running style, plus the extra weight puts you at more risk of injuries. 

If you have to race with one, you have to train with one, but if you can get away without it- I'd do so. 

• terribly sensible advise cougs - better be carefull - you'll get a reputation!