Smoking before a Parkrun

Honset to God I saw a “runner” having a fag whilst strecthing before my local Parkrun last week. I know it is cold at the moment, but I can think of better things to warm my lungs up before a Parkrun rather than a cigarette? A hot drink usually does the trick!

Comments

• we all have our vices.....some people have more than one..........wouldn't be my personal choice

• Funnily enough I saw a group of blokes having a fag before they ran a half marathon recently image!!!

• You must be joking!! I have to admit that it is not part of my warm up!! But then again  I doubt that it is part of many peoples warm up. But if it works for them (which I very much doubt it doesn't!) then you can't knock them for that.

• You can still be a runner and smoke. Maybe not the best idea - but there's certain people on here who have done amazing races - and had the odd fag during them too. 

• A smoker who runs is probably fitter than a smoker who doesn't run.  Smoking's not very good for you but it's not exactly paedophilia.

• i once smoked three roll-ups during an ultra.

• Maybe the had Methamphetamine in their fag?

• After I had finished the GNR in 2005 I saw I woman go to the baggage reclaim area, get her bag out, got her fags out and lit one up.

• PhilPub wrote (see)

A smoker who runs is probably fitter than a smoker who doesn't run.  Smoking's not very good for you but it's not exactly paedophilia.

I'd rather sweat like a runner than a paedo!

Rickster - she must have had a bad run to reach for the fags first & not a beer!

• PhilPub wrote (see)

A smoker who runs is probably fitter than a smoker who doesn't run.  Smoking's not very good for you but it's not exactly paedophilia.

Both of these activities will see the perpetrator get locked up if someone sees them doing it in a public building.

• Smoking is the devil's activity. It kills. Which part of that statement don't smokers understand?

•  I bet theres a lot of runners who smoke and hide it from fellow runners as its not exactly the right image for the sport,i should know as i still smoked when i started running 3 years ago,gave up within 6 months but can vividly remember finishing my first parkrun at Edinburgh(22.39) and getting back to the car and lighting a fag up straightaway.Shocking but true,best thing i ever did was give it up

• Rickster wrote (see)

Smoking is the devil's activity. It kills. Which part of that statement don't smokers understand?

image rickster you crack me up man image

• if you want a real giggle, go to the pub before the start of the Dartmore 30 miler... half of the local runners are standing around in running kit puffing away.  And most of them finish close to the pointy end of the field too.... image

We all pick our own vices and should avoid being so judgmental of others.. We once (GB) had a lady track and field runner who regularly had a fag at the end of her race (??400m)  - she used to sit on her clothes box on the track and light up!  I am sure someone can remember who I am talking about.

• I smoked for the best part of 18 years and in that time managed a 3.15 marathon and sub 20 parkrun, Sure someone will say "what time would you have got if you didn't smoke", maybe i wouldn't have run...who knows.....i'd smoke before and i'd smoke after, not big or clever just something i did. Gave up three years ago and wouldn't go back now. Loads of footage of sports stars of the 60's, 70's and 80's smoking, same as drinking, woudn't happen now but some may say the cocktail of chemicals that sportstars take now may be just as bad in the future.

• If the proffessional came up and said running kills do you think every runner in the country would stop tomorrow............

I would think some would and some would think that life without running for them wasn't worth living and so continue............

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seren, what's with the pro smoking argument...anything you'd like to admit?

Rickster wrote (see)

Smoking is the devil's activity. It kills. Which part of that statement don't smokers understand?

Smoker's are a special bunch, buying a pack of fags that has "smoking kills" and usually some horrendous photo of internal organs destroyed, yet still carrying on.

Incredible.

• Sadly all my non triathlon pb's date from my smoking days...

For my first FLM my office joked I would be carrying 5 gels and 5 hamlet !

• Stevie, don't forget all that "smoking kills" and pictures on the packet stuff only came about in the last 10 odd year, It was still advertised on Formula 1 cars and things like the Benson and Hedges cup in cricket in the 90's. 

Everyone remembers the Hamlet cigar adverts.....not sure i would have started smoking in todays enviroment. different attitudes.

• The only time I have looked at smokers admiringly was at the start of VLM I thought fair play that you can smoke and run a marathon.

I don't smoke but have to admit at about 14/15 all my friends did and I repeatedly tried because I was jealous of how sophisticated they looked. Fortunately for me I didn't like it and it made me feel bad so luckily I didn't get addicted from an early age.

• Shirley Strong was the Athlete who was a heavy smoker, 400 Hurdles I seem to remember.

Anyhoo I think I'll try and give up after Christmas, then I might go from being  a mid pack runner to a mid pack runner.

Ok I will be totally honest and yes I do have a smoke before a race but normally several hours before and I quite like a smoke an hour or so after I finish.

Its not good and I have tried on many occasions to give up, but the more righteous among you will say its easy and I lack the will power. Well maybe I do but that's my problem that I have to battle against.image 

• As long as you don't smoke during the race I suppose it's no problem, each to his own

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

ex-smoker myself who ran a sub 3 marathon and lit up straight afterwards. nearly 1 year clean now but with smokers contributing £12bn to HMRC each year, runner or not, puff away if it floats your boat...

• EKGO wrote (see)

As long as you don't smoke during the race I suppose it's no problem, each to his own

I saw a race review of the VLM this year from someone who decided that 14 miles was a good time for a smoke. If I remember correctly they finished the marathon being pretty much dragged over the finish line by two of their mates. Can't remember if it was on RW or elsewhere but it made me laugh. image

Both my parents used to be 'social smokers' until their 30s but gave up after my grandmother died of emphysema. Its an awful protracted illness and a horrendous way to die.

I hate getting a face full of second hand smoke because someone has lit up outside the gym and is puffing away. If someone smokes near me before/during/after near me they can expect to have their fag knocked out of their hand. Accidentally of course image 

I know how hard it is for a heavy smoker to give up (my grandma pretty much smoked right up until her last admission to hospital before she died even though she knew it was killing her) but I can't understand why people start smoking now that the health risks are so well publicised, its become quite anti-social and you actually have to go out of your way to smoke in public. And apart from that, its revolting - it smells and tastes vile. At least to me as a non-smoker it does, do people actually like the taste/smell or just put up with it? image

• Stevie........no I don't smoke but feel lucky that i never started smoking when i was young..........

Not sure i have the will power to give up if i was addicted.......

so whilst i hate smoking and agree with all the smoking banms in building etc and kids playgrounds and cars etc...............I try not to judge those who smoke

I can't even give up diet coke FFS............image

• night rider

yes, even though with whats been said on here, i have witnessed this myself before and after at events

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)

... smokers contributing £12bn to HMRC each year, runner or not, puff away if it floats your boat...

Smokers pay more in tax than they use in health care, and tend to die younger than non-smokers so taking less in pension.

If they all gave up (or it was made illegal) then all us non-smokers would doubtless be asked to make up the shortfall.  

I'm happy for smokers to carry on smoking (and paying loads of tax), as long as they don't breathe on me.

• Hey Smokers: i'm going to give you a few good tips:

Qhen you quit cigarettes you don't "give up" there is absolutly nothing to "give up" smokers are the ones who are giving up their freedom.

If you want to quit there is only one way to do it. willpower will get you nowhere, nicotine replacement products will only continue your addiction, Imagine if you adviced all the heroin smokers to inject instead!

Please google Allen Carr's Easyway

i have nothing to do with his organization, but i have escaped 2 packs for 30 years just 3 months ago, with no suffering whatsoever. a am doing 10k in 47 minutes now and i am very proud.

• "willpower will get you nowwhere"

what a load of bollocks

I know a few people who have given up after reading Allen Carr's book, but I know a load more who have given up with nictotine patches etc.

2 years clear for me and that was willpower.