Racing in full make-up

2»

Comments

• I take my make-up bag with me wherever I go as I suffer from rosacea. After my shower, on goes some special skin cream and hide-and-heal stick over the worst of my broken veins, otherwise I look like I've just finished the run for the rest of the day!

Make-up and perfume in the swimming pool? As someone who spends 3 to 4 hours a week swimming, I hate smelling sickly perfume  or aftershave as I get my training done.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

local woman who ran for Britain at 40+ used to turn up with a face of slap on.

But then she did win a prize at EVERY single race she ever did, so was constantly in the photos!

• Fiona J wrote (see)

No make up here either. I am always amazed at how long it takes other women at the gym. I don't blow dry my hair either - it takes hours - just tie it up and away I go.  I always reckon that most people would prefer me to turn up at work on time and tidy than with full make up.

I also agree - how do you look like you've made an effort for a night out if you always look like that?

With regards to running, even with a full face of "not run" make up I would look a state as my hair goes really frizzt

'how do you look like you've made an effort for the night?'  you put more effort in thats what !!!

whilst a full face of makeup is really nor required (especially in high temps) i   do always wear make up for running, just less than i do for work or daily. i dont see anything wrong in wanting to make an effort with appearence , personally i think a lot of the 'cant be bothered/dont need it/takes too much time' attitude is just plain laziness on a lot of womens part, but as i say , each to their own.

my whole reason for running a long way is purely to top up my Bondi tan and make sure my hair is Baywatch blondeimage *waits for the fall out from this one*..........image

• What do the viewers think about men who wear make up for running ?

• Don't think even Eddie Izzard wore any. But then he wasn't running in high heels either.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    loulabell wrote (see)
     , personally i think a lot of the 'cant be bothered/dont need it/takes too much time' attitude is just plain laziness on a lot of womens part, but as i say , each to their own.

But why would I bother?  Who is going to be impressed by the sight of me with make-up streaked with sweat on my face?

That would look worse than no make-up at all.

• I go a lovely shade of purple when I run anyway. Looks miles better than foundation image

• Stilts wrote (see)
    I wear makeup every day for work but never for running mainly because the mix of sweat and slap would play havoc with my skin and I don't fancy the Alice Cooper look coupled with a big red shiny face ... mmm ...

I am slightly disappointed though at the trend for big name female athletes to put their face on to race - raises lots of questions about perceptions of women + sport + appearance + self confidence etc etc. Not great role modelling IMHO (crudely put - you might be a gold medal winner but you still gotta look good) but as everyone says, each to their own.

Isn't this rather hypocritical? Why do you feel the need to wear make up for work? Does it increase your productivity? Doesn't you wearing make up at work raise questions about perceptions of women in the work place + ability + appearance + self confidence etc etc...

Not great role modeling IMHO image

Thing is, athletics is an athletes job just the same as yours is.

• As personal preference I wear makeup to work because simply put, I look a great deal better with than without and I work in a busy organization with lots of customers coming in and out all day. They don't need to be confronted by someone who looks like she's been at the bottle all morning.

• I'll wear mascara to work then it'll still be on when I run after work but that's about it.

If women want to wear a full face of make up to run in, let them be. Does it really harm anyone? If it gives them a bit of confidence to go outside and run, does that make them a bad person? If young, self conscious women who see Jessica Ennis with a bit of eyeliner on when she's winning the heptathlon can think, "hey, maybe I can exercise too and still look a bit feminine, I might try that" - is that really to be criticised?

It's a bit manky wearing slap in a public swimming pool but unless people at races or in the gym are then rubbing their glowing faces across yours, why is it a problem?
  • Stilts wrote (see)
    I wear makeup every day for work but never for running mainly because the mix of sweat and slap would play havoc with my skin and I don't fancy the Alice Cooper look coupled with a big red shiny face ... mmm ...

I am slightly disappointed though at the trend for big name female athletes to put their face on to race - raises lots of questions about perceptions of women + sport + appearance + self confidence etc etc. Not great role modelling IMHO (crudely put - you might be a gold medal winner but you still gotta look good) but as everyone says, each to their own.

As far as I can see it only seems to be in sports of short duration or where less sustained physical effort is required e.g. 100m or long jump. I've never seen a female long distance runner wearing slap.

Wilkie wrote (see)
    loulabell wrote (see)
     , personally i think a lot of the 'cant be bothered/dont need it/takes too much time' attitude is just plain laziness on a lot of womens part, but as i say , each to their own.

But why would I bother?  Who is going to be impressed by the sight of me with make-up streaked with sweat on my face?

That would look worse than no make-up at all.

That's the whole point I think - if you are running you are sweating, your make-up is melting off. It's a waste of time, effort and money putting it on and it isn't going to make you look any more attractive - less so if anything. It isn't doing what you believe it to be doing however much you like to think so.

Wearing make-up at work during the day probably is doing that and it's doing it because, by and large, it's staying put - that's the difference. 

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I go a lovely shade of purple when I run anyway. Looks miles better than foundation image

lol LBimage....running in heat saves on blusher , ie saving money image

Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

As personal preference I wear makeup to work because simply put, I look a great deal better with than without and I work in a busy organization with lots of customers coming in and out all day. They don't need to be confronted by someone who looks like she's been at the bottle all morning.

BW, me too, i think if i wore NO makeup the marshalls would have to have shock therapy treatmentimage

when i said i wear make up to run, i dont wear foundation etc in 90 degree heat-no need because of my Bondi tan....ahemimageimage +1 again

•  Never mind make up, how can people run with jewellery on?  A necklace or bracelet banging away with every step would drive me insane.

• oo i wear a bracelet with charms on with all my ultra distances image im really doing well stirring this today me thinksimage....mr puffy, you tune out after a while, the janging is quite comforting

• I'm sure when I watched Nell McAndrew being interviewed on the telly after running 2:54 at VLM this year she had makeup on. Eyeliner, mascara etc. None of which was all down her face. And she's quite tanned. AND blonde. She might even have had a necklace on! Shocking!
  • cragchick wrote (see)

I have a 'lucky' bracelet thingy I wear on all my ultras, along with my 'lucky' nail varnishimage

LLB - image

I can't imagine jangly bracelets are any more annoying that the water that sloshes around in a camelbak when you run, or the guy (or gal) that is continually hacking/snotting/coughing to clear nasal passages etc etc ...

Interesting how this thread is evolving ... tolerant lot aren't weimage

There is a woman in a neighbouring club who gasps "Yes Yes Yes" towards the end of a race, usually for  the last mile or so.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    cragchick wrote (see)

I have a 'lucky' bracelet thingy I wear on all my ultras, along with my 'lucky' nail varnishimage

LLB - image

I can't imagine jangly bracelets are any more annoying that the water that sloshes around in a camelbak when you run, or the guy (or gal) that is continually hacking/snotting/coughing to clear nasal passages etc etc ...

Interesting how this thread is evolving ... tolerant lot aren't weimage

If you squeeze the air out of the Camelbak bladder before doing it up, it doesn't slosh.

• Or take your family out to wait with the water, no sloshing then!

• I wear my lucky necklace all the time, never take it off. It doesn't jangle.

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Never mind make up, how can people run with jewellery on?  A necklace or bracelet banging away with every step would drive me insane.

I pretty much feel that way about jewellery all of the time. I have 20+ ear piercings but I wear studs, never dangly things and I don't like necklaces, bracelets or rings either. And apart from using my Garmin for training, I don't wear a watch either.

I also rarely wear any make-up apart from waterproof mascara - just to take the bare look away and waterproof so it never runs or smudges. Can't ever remember putting it on specifically to race but if it was already there I wouldn't specifically remove it either.

I work with a few girls who wear so many layers of face paint they actually look like clowns. To me, make-up is supposed to be like good plastic surgery. You're supposed to look fresh and healthy, not like you've had a lot of work done or like you're covered in slap!

• Nah.  I don't wear make up.  Maybe once a month or so when I go out.  Make up for running??? Why???  I am hardly looking my best.. not a  lot to enhance... and why would I be arsed??

• I ALWAYS wear make-up. I don't cake it on. I wear the same make-up running as I do going to work. Just minus lippy. Not self conscious (if I was, I wouldn't be running in public for a start!). Just like it.

But then I'm a lesbian.
  • Merry Carrotmas wrote (see)
    I'm sure when I watched Nell McAndrew being interviewed on the telly after running 2:54 at VLM this year she had makeup on. Eyeliner, mascara etc. None of which was all down her face. And she's quite tanned. AND blonde. She might even have had a necklace on! Shocking!

I hate her.

;)