Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• I set out with the aim of seeing some of the runners on my local HM. I rode to the finish to cheer, then stayed until clubmates were in. The road home as I was soo cold.

1:30 out, 30 minutes riding image This means I will probably be too rested for next weekend.

• 2 hours 43 min on turbo - can I do the full session ... Dvorak's Slavonic dances might help ...

... 1 min to go ... Go Dvorak ...

... HR 2.8 ...

2.45 yayyyyyy !!!!
  • After an interuption with a stag do in Portugal last weekend, i have been avoiding this forum like the plague as i knew peoples updates would make me feel guilty, i was right! Looks like everyone is going great guns!

Back on track for me this weekend. 2:45 on the Turbo yesterday and 17k run in 1:15 today. Both felt good so +1 for HR training, although have no idea if my last 2 sessions were done at the correct pace as the my HRM has packed in. 11 months old so still under warrenty so will be looking for a replacement from them tomorrow
  • nearly 70 miles in relentless rain............hard work.......soaked to the skin........but i reminded myself that it can rain all day race day and so it was a good training session..........

• Yay - I have a new shiny PB for a half marathon in p.....g down cold sleety rainimage. Boo - it doesn't begin with a 1image 2.00.52image

Maybe next time.Still not warm tho!!

• SS....great news on the PB..........and yes next time you will get it starting with a 1..great result......and a confidence booster that the training is working

• Awesome mileage, Seren and very well done on your PB, SS
  • i rode longish yesterday - thank god. I just rode 30 min to, then another 30 min from the gym with the missus this afternoon - omg that was cold. the sleet made my head ache. Fingers went numb in 7 minutes and I was not riding hard enough to warm up.

well done for those who got out. It takes effort but the reward will be in March/April when you will be riding strong and others will just be starting to get outside for the first time.

Bassy used to quote 'winter miles - summer smiles'
  • LSR this morning 10miles in 1hr35mins avg pace 9.33min/m, really surprised myself with the pace as it didn't feel that hard. HR was bang on my upper Z2 level and really felt good.

Matt.... the HR training really does work if you stick with it, I nearly always run with mine.
  • britsky.my mileage is going to be higher early on as I am going off a strong base from last spring......and i'm going for a big improvemnet in my single ironman time.......

those doing their first one don't worry or panic that you are not doing as much mileage......I've been going long for a few years now and so have more idea on what my body can cope with......hopefully image

• Razor, I've done Blackpool a couple of times - good PB potential. Not there this year though image Good luck with it!
  • Wow everyone's going great guns. Managed the 2hr 45 min turbo yesterday and the 1hr 15 mins run today. That was a shock got so used to my 1hr route wasn't sure I was going to make it. Have decided Audio books are the way to go for the long turbo sessions.

Weather forecast looks like it might be a challenge to get everything done this week but I will do my best.
  • Well done, Alibear - anyone else for the 2:45 turbo club?

(Channel 4's Utopia was my choice today, plus a bit of Classic fm at the end)
  • Cheers S/Joe , I don't think I'll PB at Blackpool, my last HM was way back in 84 and that was 1.36 so nearly 30 years on I don't think it's on do you? image
  • Training seems to be going well across the board. The first few weeks when you don't feel like you are making progress and then you start to feel fitter and stronger. I've had a couple of runs recently when the effort starts to feel less but you are moving well. Nice feeling.

Three hour ride in the pissing rain yesterday and 100 mins running today. In the pissing rain again. Bring on the Spring. I like that Bassy quote though.
  • Pah, I know folks who've PBd in their 50s - including a chap from my running club who did a 2:58 marathon aged 59 as a lifetime PB so never say neverimage
  • Cross country half mara today, muddy, hilly, wet but sooo worth it just to be able to the post race spread that the organisers put on. The only session I missed this week was the long cycle, I will make sure I join the 2 3/4 hr club next week..... Promise
  • still out of action with my calf.  gonna book a physio session this week as i still can't run on it image despite my 8 day lay off.  still feels no better image

using the 'spare' time to get some bike miles in as it seems ok on the pedals.

• Well back to the turbo today and 50 easy mins after yesterday. Could have gone outside but I've had enough for 1 week of being wet and coldimage

• First swim in 2 weeks planned for tonight...gulp (literally)

• Week 11 started for me today (Finking for IMA so one week ahead of Outlaw). So 'Build' phase starts and Pick Ups are introduced into the 60 minute morning run. Initial observations would be:

• It takes some of the monotony of zombie running away
    • You run further, in my case about half a mile over the hour
    • If you only do one set of PU your out and back route doesn't work right (I did another set on the way back to even things up)
    • Slowing down to normal steady pace is difficult to judge
    • A bit of 'speedwork' will help VLM I was worried all i was doing was slow running

Swim sets get longer too I think they rise to 3k so tonight will be the first of those.

Happy training everyone!

• sweetfeet........out of interest which of the finks plans are you following......

I have the brick session planned for today.........hoping for a break in the weather to get the bike done outside.....my back really can't cope with the turbo at the moment..

managed my swim yesterday and an hours run.......was running a different route and so enjoyed it......so hard to not run the same old routes when you have been running a few years........I ran whilst my son was coaching hockey.had an hour to waste and so thought that a run would be the thing........

• Hi Seren. Competitive, until I run out of time/ability. Cheers.

• i thiought it must be because of the 3k swim........I don't think i will ever get to the 3k in an hour.but hoping to get closer to 2.8k in the next month or two.......I have already decided that i can't go to 3 swim sessions a week though.........I have to play mind games to get me to 2 sessions........which i have done every weekimage

• Time is the killer. I'm really struggling where to put the third swim. It'll have to be at the weekend somewhere but i doubt it will get done every week.

Fortunately of the three disciplines swimming is my favourite so I will be inclined to find the time. The bike is my nemisis but so important...

• Intermediate, except ankle injury has messed things up a bit - plus what was I doing thinking I'd have loads of time for training during half term?

Hadn't banked on two kids at home - haven't done any training this week yet ... grrrr 

• Hang in there EP.

Swim #6 for me tonight the first of the Build phase so a jump up to 3k. Completed in 59.30 with two bouts of calf cramp and feeling pretty knackered by the end. Hopefully I will adjust to the longer distance over the next few weeks. Still got to find a spot for the new third swim of the week which probably wont work on Friday evening (as per plan) so will need to look around the weekend for a slot...