Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• I normally drink about one 750ml bottle per hour when on the bike

• it does depend on the weather as well..so if it was hot on the bike you should definitely need more

• On the other hand I've just got back from a three hour ride - so pretty warm - and drunk less than a litre and had no food - it's all very individual.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • How long are you planning to taper for and what stopped you completing the 80 miles you'd planned to do today?

• So you have - what - six weeks to improve your bike so that you can make the cut off?

Put your old bike on the turbo so if the weather is bad there's no excuse and ride every chance you get - hour long hard work sessions on the turbo, back to back long rides each weekend and a long run in the week. That with an OW swim session once a week is about the most you can do I think - and decide how much you want it. It will hurt, it does get difficult, and the only one who can decide to push through and finish it is you.

• EP just what LMH said worried about the bike cut off bike everywhere image plenty of time  to turn it around just spend stacks of time on the bike

just finished nearly 5 hours coastal path run in prep for the Wall Ultra it was a lovely day and have finally mansged to wear out Wilson the Mighty Irondog who is now snoring on his bed image

• M..eldy - cycle at vast speed, unfortunately notimage

But I felt fine on 1 and 3/4 litres and pee was normal colour at the endimage It wasn't really hot and sunny though I do have a dodgy suntan on my legs. I have been out before in hotter weather for less time and drunk the same so will hydrate more on the day if need be

EP - I seem to be lucky enough to eat anything on the bike. Hope it won't come bike to haunt me on the runimage

• I don't think 1 -2 hours would be enough to be honest Pix. I think 2 as a minimum backed up by a proper long ride the next day. If weather and logistics allow I'd probably look at something like riding to OW on a Saturday, swim, couple of laps of the Full Boar cycle route, ride home then 5 hours plus long bike on a Sunday - ideally at least 80 miles.

You can work on some speed on the turbo - say 10 mins warm up, 2 x 20 minutes as hard as you can off 5 min recovery, 5 mins cool down.

Do you have any more cyclosportives etc planned? Didn't you originally plan to do the National Forest one this weekend?

• Not had a brilliant week training due to work commitments and being tired. Then like a numpty I fell of the loft ladder on Saturday, dosed myself up regularly with strong pain killers, then ran a 10km (PBed) on Sunday and now realise after sitting on the turbo today and being in so much pain, that I most probably have got a fractured rib! ( if that is all I got, I was very lucky) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that training won't be affected too much but my have to drop the intensity.

• After the DIY half this weekend I thought I'd take the TT bike out for a quick 25 mile spin. Its the first time I've had a chance to ride it since the full on bike fit at bike science. Problem is, I still don't like the feel of the fit. Saddle feels too high, bars feel too low, can't look up enough to see down the road without getting blurry vision due to the stretch in my neck.

I might just unbolt it all and start again tomorrow, or give up the hope of riding a TT bike and stick on ebay, make do with road bike and clip ons - never seem to get these problems like that image

Outlaw is gettign closer so I better work out what Im riding pretty sharpish and get settled

• Getting rid of it sounds a bit drastic mate. I would lift the bars slightly by adding spacer and try that. Again if the seat feels high then drop it a touch. Just make some small adjustments until you feel comfortable and body gets used the position.    

• Matt

bike fits are only as good as the fitter image it sounds like they have gone for sn optimal TT position great if you are flexible enough and have the core strenght to hold it over a    25 mile TT absolutely hopeless if you are doing 112 miles and want to be in a fit state to run a marathon drop the saddle till it feels right and raise the bars a bit then work around that position till you find a position you can stay aero in for long 

• Periods, Although if you are onlyused to road bikes, a TT bike even in a slack fit  is radically different and does take some getting used to 

EP get a grip and give yourself a good talking to image are you going to waste all the work  you have put in , sure you might fail on the day but you have definately failed if you quit before, i dont think any of us have the benefit of not having to work, family obligations etc it is not easy to do this and real life does get in the way you just got to battle through and get done what you can, but dont use it as an excuse not to train 

, do as much as you can, my bet is if you toe the line race day sure you will have a tough long day but you will crack it, it aint a knitting club image onwards and upwards have faith people with massive disabilties, terminal illnesses etcdo this thing and so can you stay positive image

i

• EP this is the place to rant though image image

• 4 mile run done is sunshine.now off to work image

• This weather is great nice 22 mile fast comute done in on bike lovely spring morning image

• Didn't plan to cycle in this morning but it would have been rude not too!!  This weather is awesome!

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

56 mile bike on Saturday, sprint tri on Sunday and was 6 min 40 seconds quicker than I was in the autumn so yay image; followed by OW swim yesterday!

OW was definitely the most daunting but I was fine, the cold on my face does make somewhat dizzy and disorientated so need to get to the lake as much as possible from now on to try and get used to it. Oh and sighting because I certainly cannot swim straight! I also need practise at getting out of my wetsuit.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Dont forget you can add a bit of food to the back pockets of your cycle shirt as well pixie, also could tape stuff to your bike (but maybe not malt loaf unless its in a packet.image)

for savoury I tried Pork Pies and cheese at the DIY half and they went down well, coctail sausages are another idea, as well as those I'll probably carry malt loaf, hot cross buns, ceareal bars and flapjack. also a banana unless they are available on the course anyway.

no gels for me though, I might resort to them for running but cycling I want proper food.

glad your feeling more positive again.

• to save carrying all this stuff use the stuff provided at the  aid stations i always fancy something savory at round mile 70 so carry a smsll marmite sarnie in my jersey pocket

the runs great coz they have crisps at the aid stations image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I'm still undecided about all this.

Enjoying it again which is good - must. Be the weather - I starated to feel really resentful over recent weeks.

Ive done 4 rides of over 100 but all ridiculously slow. I've discovered I own a HRM I've never bothered using and discovered i merely amble along - average HR only. 120-130 on a hilly long ride, and a lot less on a flat short ride.

I feel I'm riding with a moderat effort - but clearly not.

Running is a massive limiter these days. I managed a 15 mileshuffle on Sunday but boy was it hard. Unbelievable seeing as it was my strength previously!

Well..I've not withdrawn my entry yet at least!