Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• wise words from Lee...........and this weeks ride was amazing Matt..........

• I reckon getting to the start is more than half the battle - there's no doubt in my mind that this is, for me anyway, one hell of a challenge ... after I've done a long bike or swim its really hard for me to imagine being successful ... but we've done so much already it won't hurt to try, will it?

Matt - I agree about the running. Its my best discipline but I feel like I'm dragging myself around in a walk / run shuffle these days ... others have done it before us, though - 

I try not to think too much, really, and just focus on the next couple of days ... 

... imagine if we do succeed, though .... image

• Britrisky wrote (see)

I try not to think too much, really, and just focus on the next couple of days ... 

... imagine if we do succeed, though .... image

image image image

• Southern Snail wrote (see)

If I can speed the breaststoke up I might dip in under the hour for outlaw half but the full is obviously a problem.

Hi southern snail

My friend was the last swimmer out of the lake at outlaw last year to make the cut off and the organisers and marshals were phenomenal

For the last 400m she had a personal kayak who was keeping her going, the practically catapulted her out of the water and in the changing tent they knew she was so close to the cut off they made her do the minimum changing then grab the rest of the stuff and told her to get herself and her bike over the timing mat to make the cut off and then get dressed the other side!"!

She duly did and finished the whole thing............2 hours faster than me the cheeky mare!!

If you can get close to a 2 hour swim they will do everything to get you out on the bike (I think it's 2 hrs 10 from memory the cut off?)

• EP did you hubbys buy in on this? Surely he must realise this is a serious effort on your part and get with the supportive stuff!

Matt hang in there bud cut back for a couple of days tiredness can really give you the glooms I tend to suffer a bit of the black dog every now and again and generally when I am constrained,

Everyone's training looks OK do not forget come race day you will be tapered  and rested and pumped with adrenaline image It's a massive difference to the constant training load tiredness you are feeling now

• Constrained? Overtrainedimage

• shame.EP.one of the main things i think is to get your partner on board.i couldn't have done it without mine......

When I was reading that you were doing a couple of hours gardening the other week i was thinking ....WTF....you must have so much energy.........you have to prioritise these months............

but if he is not on board you need to think hard about how much you want it and if its worth straining the marriage for it.......

its all well and good us saying leave anything that isn't work or training to the others in the house .if by doing that you cause damage to your relationship.....

Sorry that this is being made so much harder for you .its a hard hard journey which is so much harder on your own.....image

• Wise words Serenimage  I sometimes forget just how lucky I am with Mrs RBM though if I called her up for a lift half way through a training ride I think i would get told to MTFU  image

• Remember everyone that it is better to get to the start line being slightly under trained than over trained.

look out for the signs of over training

I find that I have bad sleep patterns with over training so if i have a couple of bad nights then I slack off for a couple of nights

Matt put in great ride yesterday for his first century and most of the time I was riding on the edge just trying to keep up with him

Evil Pixie, I'm sorry to have to say this but you really do need to sit down with your hubby and discuss this, you need COMPLETE buy in from him and this includes the support and not telling you, you can't do it, but it is a 2 way street, my first attempt at Ironman ended in disaster 2 months before as I was so focused on IM that I missed the warnings signs and my wife became quite ill because I didn't notice the problems she was having. I am now quite lucky as my wife has also now finished an IM distance event and understands about the long rides etc, but with a special needs son to look after time is always tight, but then I'm never going to start moaning if the housework isn't done.

onwards and upwards everyone

• Well I swam in my wetsuit in a nice warm (too hot by the end) pool. After the first couple of lengths I realised I was out of breath but plodded on. I didn't get to that state of being able to carry on regardless until about 30 minutes and I noticed at the ends of the pool that after 20 mins my breath was still raspy.

I carried on because I realised that apart from silly fumblings in the last week I have actually never swum more than 200m in my wetsuit.

I expected to feel absolutely fine in pool water and clearly wasn't so I will be going again tomorrowimage I just hope something clicks within the next 2 weeks

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

keep going everyone - great training.

for what it is woth 105 miles yesterday and 8,000 feet climbing - i hate hills at the best of times!

slow - at 11.3 moving time. Lsat 30 miles pace dropped right off with hills and upflats.

positives, are that i learned loads about myself, got nutrition about right, need to drink a little more when i am struggling.

back and knee sore - need to pack ibuprofen next time.

a little cramp as no salty stuff at feed stations.

Would probably be able to walk, stumble a bit afterwards!

met the lovely purple tri lady - thanks for the support.image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear everyone is having a tough time of it at the moment. If it helps I think we all are! Just for various reasons.

I need more OW swims as I've not done the distance OW yet and i'mso slow but the cold water isn't helping.

Had a good bike on Friday though and a good for me run on Saturday so that was a confidence boost.

Had my bike refit and I need to test it out but I think they've solved my niggles. I forgot I moved the saddle, badly it would seem sot hat may solve the shoulder pains and I had my left cleat adjusted to give my heal more kick out room which should mean less strain on that knee/ITB.

If I can get a decent length swim in OW I'll feel set for the half and then there's a few weeks to kick it up a notch ready for the full.

Have decided no more alcohol before the half for me as that messes up my sleep as well as my training.

Also decide if I have to skip something I'll skip a short week day session and just make sure I do the longer weekend ones.

• yes thisw is a hard time for all.just keep plugging at it and try and rest well..4 mile run this morning before a river swim.....was only in for 30 mins but could have stayed much longer.it was as gentle as i have seen it there and not too cold at all.a beautiful setting and to relax i just look at all the amazing signs of nature around me and how lucky we are to live in such a green and beautiful country......

will try and get back in soon 

squash night tonight.cross training with hubbyimage

• Brick session yesterday, 23 miles on the bike, 16.4 mph avg, then 3.6 mile run , 9.29 min/mile pace so chuffed with that, things seem to be going well training wise. image

• Bloody hell EP do nothing? What's he going to say when you are on Ironman number 6?image

• /had a massive weekend away down near Lands End doing stacks of Ultra training it was an awesome weekend but am so tired I am in bed already with my Kindleimage

• Hi TJ1004 - great to hear you finished imageimageimage. It's a really tough ride.

I did it two years ago and my avg speed was 11.5, yesterday it was 13.5, so it does get better !

• I missed Tj's post.105 miles .thats a greta ride with hills......image

• Hi Purple one long time no hear are you fit n well?image

• PSCPSC ✭✭✭

Well done TJ and PTL at the Castles 100. Yes, it was a beast of a ride. I saw you arriving at the beginning just as I was leaving and then saw Purple Tri Lady finishing just as I was leaving. A long day for everyone. Cracking event. Harder than the Chilterns I reckon. 

• PSC - I saw another pirate in the distance, I didn't recognise you. It is a tough ride, I was very pleased to finish image

Ridge - I lurk but don't post much but I am very well. Manic at work and taking a year off IM. Loving my cycling at the moment.

• Same here purple IM holiday training for an Ultra insteadimage

• PSCPSC ✭✭✭

PTL you looked pretty happy at the end, or perhaps happy to be at the end. image so could you have run off the bike?. I don't think I would have wanted to. Not after those hills. Lucky outlaw is flat image

• have they decided the new outlaw run course.i like 4 laps and i think its now 2 or 3 isn't it.....anyone know.....noit even sure how many weeks till the race......maybe i should focus

• Oh has it changed?!  I didn't know that.  I really should look. In fact I need to get in touch with them because the email address i've registered our team at is under my old work address, so if they try to get in touch, they can't!!

• Just checked the website, and the run route is showing as the same as usual on the downloadable document (http://dload.osb.s3.amazonaws.com/info/outlaw13info.pdf), but isn't showing on the main menu, so maybe they are changing it? Who knows....