Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Another open water today. Was in there for about 35mins. Couldn't even talk properly at the end I was so cold. Not sure how I'll manage the half next week.

If I want to change into my cycle shorts after the swim, what do I wear under my wetsuit. Does anyone know if there are tents at the half or if we change outside

• SS, last year at the challenge henley half i changed into cycle shorts after the swim; i wore bikini bottoms and my pirate top underneath my wetsuit - but there was a changing tent image

• not sure about changing tents.......i always wear tri shorts for the whole thing....

lovely ride out today 82 miles and in the last 5 I managed to ride up Caerphilly mountain for cardiff......imageimageimage

• 91 miles done followed by a very slow 6 mile run. Legs were protesting all day.

I'm thinking of pulling out of the half next weekend so I guess it doesn't matter about tentsimage

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

SS...that's an awesome session - why sound so despondent? You should be pleased with that.im not surprised your legs were objecting - what with all the miles in them.

My running and cycling is still at an all time slow.

I did an 18 mile run today at a desperately slow pace.

Legs were tired from everything that I'd done in the week (weeks) previously I guess.

I can only hope the taper works a miracle!!!

• I always have a 3 week taper and I cut much lower than the recomendations.probably as I seem to tire easily

SS .I agree that is an awesome session..........don't bin the half.you will benefit from the transition under pressure and the preperations for it............even if you go really slowly the preration and transitions will really help you.honest

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about a 6 week taper aactually

;-)

Ive definitely had it with the long rides! Can't face another century.

Probably need to carry on with the running for a bit longer though judging by today's pathetic shuffle

• Like Seren I always have a three week taper with very little volume - it's amazing how different everything feels when you're not permanently crackered. That is a huge session SS and one that I've never even attempted - you should take a lot of confidence from it.

K9 - if your performance at Full Boar was anything to go by you'll be fine!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Ha ha...LMH.

I got round wild boar - that's all. It was truly the most painful race experience ever!

(but I'd done almost no run training!)

As long as I don't repeat the wild boar puncture I'll be happy - otherwise I'll be caught by the bike cut off!

My mum is coming to outlaw (assuming Im still mobile by July) and plans to turn up at 4pm in case I get stopped at the bike cut off - and we can go for tea somewhere!!

• Evil Pixie, re the contact lense issue, can you not just wear your lenses from the start, and wear non-prescription gogles? That's what i do, and it works fine image

• Actually it's not today's session that is making me pull out of next week, it's the swim. At the moment it's clearly going to take me the full hour to do it and the most I've been in the water was yesterday's 35 mins. I will be suffering from hypothermia if I do a full hour and I'm not sure ill function afterwards so I think I'm better concentrating on my A race. I can train properly for the full and get another decent bike ride in next week.. There's not much longer til taper time and I'll work my way up on the swim and it WILL get warmerimage

• SS.the adrenaline on the day will make a dffference..and if you half is at nottingham...that isn't where you swim is it.............nottingham is a shallow manmade lake and will be warmer.( especially after 1000 triathletes have peeeeed in it)image

• SS - I agree with Seren, if you won't get any money back by withdrawing now then wait and see what the temperature in the lake is a day or so before. I suspect that warmer water will make you much more comfortable and with the nerves and adrenalin of the race and the distraction of loads of other athlete around you it will be a totally different experience. I feel the cold terribly (I'm hypothyroid) but can manage to race in water temperatures you couldn't coax me into with a warm blanket and hot chocolate otherwise!

Lee - that's what I do too with my lenses.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I've had a cracking weekend and this weather must mean the lakes are finally warming up. 1 mile OW swim Saturday followed by 70 milke bike then a 10 mile run yesterday. Trouble is only the swim was at a pace that would get me round in time. Like others I'm hoping the taper works its magic and gets me that 1.5mph on the bike and 0.5mph on the run back.

But did mention I swam a mile OW! Yay . image

(PS I know I need to do double that but it's a start actually felt quite good out there in the end)

• 150k on the bike and 15k run this weekend. A little light on the run as had to take the wifey and kids to Manchester for the 10k where Mrs Stanners was running. Bank holiday = family day so no thoughts of training today.

This time in 6 weeks folks!

• nice 80 miles on the bike yesterday to back up the 107 last weekend, both in sunshine.

park run and swim on Saturday, pool was rammed full so only did 50 lengths but tried to up the speed, 24 mins, which is really quick for me

day off training for much needed family time, crazy golf it is then.

How did Mrs Stanners do in the manc 10K?

• Her first ever 10k, her aim was 1:10 and she ran a 1:05 so made up for her. She realy enjoyed it too and is already suggesting a sub 60 min target next time. I've not suggested Lanza to her yet though image

Now heading to Macc pool with the rug rats before a pub lunch

• great time for her first 10k stanners...

I swam in the sea this morning.was a tad vold but it was lovely.was going to run this afternoon but time running out.time to chill out I believeimage

• Had a really hard grind of a run this morning 4 hours in a howling gale over Bodmin Moor TBH i wasnt feeling to great yesterday or this morning and would probably have binned it but was meeting mates struggled for 3 & 1/2 hours then suddenly started feeling great the last 20 mins was flat out 

EP sounds like a plan, why not address the weight now 6 weeks to go could mean a lot less pounds to carry round the course?

• Awesome speed session at Manchester Velodrome yesterday - if you get the chance you have to do it! 

Wanted a one hour easy swim in the afternoon, but the water was so hot could only manage 40 min. Hoping for a better long run today - previous weeks have been very poor after the long bike the day before ...

... 30 min bike and 15 mile run done. It wasn't fast but I'm in one piece so all is well

• RBM........I've just decided to do that starting last Friday...6 weeks can make a hell of a lot of difference in excessive weight.mine had been going up again so 6 weeks of it going down instead of carrying on going up should make the difference.got hubby on board to help me for the first time so hopefully will work

• Even a 1lb a week will make a difference at this stage ...

• EP eating a healthy diet and binning all the processed crap and sugars should see your energy rise not go down, i for one am guilty if hoovering down anything in range cos i am ironman training and when i do make the effort to eat properly i get lean very fast, i think a lot of this feeling of loss of energy is realy crashing from one sugar high to the next, lots of fruit, veg reasonable portions of carbs rice, pasta etc and proteins meat, eggs should do the trick

• +1 with too much weight! sugar is my nemesis, and actually wheat really doesn't do me much good either.  all the weight i'd ever lost i regained last year (mainly because i was a lazy bee-atch), but i've lost 7lbs so far, and should manage another 7lbs before the big day* I know i'm just running, but tbh my weight is making it fooking hard, so i need to sort it out as much as poss before the race, and keep going so i can get next year's plans underway....... 

*i.e. Outlaw relay, i'm not getting hitched!

• And next year's plans being ...?

• For once.I really do not know what my focus is for next year.........image....I need to change focus each year to keep some degree of motivation..............maybe ultras again

• something connected with hills for me next year, I think - I need to get better at them (running and biking, that is). Getting a head start with Snowdonia mara in autumn ... 

A couple of hilly sportives, perhaps - IM Nice is a step too far though, methinks

• Just getting to the start of an IM is on my list For next year. This year I will hopefully resurrect some of my Outlaw training and enter the Monster Ely half and end the year with a GFA at Venice mara.