Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• K9 - riding in the Alps was different partly because you didn't have to fit it in round everything else. IM training is long and pressured (at least for me) as there is always the fear that if you don't do a session that will be the one that makes the difference on the day.  You want this and  you've done everything that you can to make sure that you get it - you can do no more physically training wise but practice with the puncture repair, visualise your successful race, eat and sleep well, and have a plan for what you will do if faced with the situations you're worried about. Hope that makes sense.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Thanks OC and LMH...

sorry to be such a negative presence on the thread

I seem to be full of doom this weekendimage

I loved the Alps - the weather was beautiful, no pressure etc - i agree...

Climbing those long ascents was hard OC, but I found I was quite good relative to the others - but that's only because I am pretty light! On the flat or in a wind I have no momentum at all and I am left for dust!

re the wine - on reflection, I have probably had a drink the night before every other tri I've done, so I won't necessarily abstain - I'll try and be 'good' though this week to make up for the holiday alcohol excesses!

Your final week pre-Lanza looks light overall OC but that Tuesday still looks big to be - I think I'll just be ticking over that week. Nothing long or intense. Just enough to distract me.

Anyway, off to look for my positivity, I seem to have mislaid it...

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

thanks Seren and Cake for advice.

EP good luck with the exam.

K9 your not being negative just voicing fears that many of us have.

• K9 - you've invested a huge amount of time and effort in this - your doubts are just a sign of how important it is. I'm the same every time I race. At the Oly last Sunday I was stood with my wetsuit half on telling Mark that I was going to DNS as I just didn't know why I was putting myself through it - as soon as I was in the water the race head took over and the training kicked in.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

That's hilarious LMH...

I can SO relate to thosethoughts

Currently sitting in the rain at Gateshead stadium watching the European team athletics champs!!

Mightve been wiser to watch it on the telly, but the atmospheres quite good!

• That's like when I went to Spain for the first time when I was a kid, I starting packing (well my towel, nothing else) a month before, because I was so excited!!

• Hope it's better weather than we've had K9! If you think about you've invested what, at least 8 hours a week on average over 30 weeks to get yourself ready for this (and probably quite a bit more) so a minimum of 240 hours not including changing time, travel time etc. IM is a huge undertaking and it all comes down to one day - doubts are normal.

EP - if you're not going to use it again pack it and check it off your list then you can get it out again just to check in a weeks time when you start to doubt whether you've actually packed it or not.............

Remember this is two weeks to taper peeps - not a two week rest period - keep those highly trained bodies ticking over!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Thanks OC and LMH...

sorry to be such a negative presence on the thread

I seem to be full of doom this weekendimage

I loved the Alps - the weather was beautiful, no pressure etc - i agree...

Climbing those long ascents was hard OC, but I found I was quite good relative to the others - but that's only because I am pretty light! On the flat or in a wind I have no momentum at all and I am left for dust!

re the wine - on reflection, I have probably had a drink the night before every other tri I've done, so I won't necessarily abstain - I'll try and be 'good' though this week to make up for the holiday alcohol excesses!

Your final week pre-Lanza looks light overall OC but that Tuesday still looks big to be - I think I'll just be ticking over that week. Nothing long or intense. Just enough to distract me.

Anyway, off to look for my positivity, I seem to have mislaid it...

• This is Monaco and arm warmer weather for me - and if racing probably not even with the arm warmers - and I feel cold. It's up to you what you feel comfortable in.

• You are best to wear what you are training in now.....no point in asking other.....remmeber when racing you will be working harder at times.........

On the night ride on saturday.......with a very strong wind........all through the night....a few of us were in shorts and shiort sleeve jerseys........( I wished I had got my monaco on to cool further......)

others were in trousers and sunmmer jackets..............others were in winter jackets and winter gloves./....

I was in summer gloves and little toe covers which were great.....

the problem with wearing too much is that if you stop to take it off.what do you do with it.carry it all the way....so might be alright for  one item of clothing but not for lots..

I will be using arm warmers as they are so versitile...........if it looks like a really horrible day i might wear a light coat that can go in a pocket or around my waist

• Monaco and arm warmers for me and thin jacket if it's going to rain, shorts and summer gloves. Jacket does fit in monaco pocket but no room for any more.

Now that we're getting close I guess a few more questions are in orderimage

Ive been wondering about nutrition on the bike. I know it's different for everyone and we've all been trying out different things but in reality what and how much have you got through on the bike on a previous ironman? And do you look at calories or carbs. 

More questions coming soon, I'm sureimage

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Monaco arm warmers and pack light waterproof in this weather for me Oh and shorts with leg warmers a I feel the cold. Nutrition is cut up Torq barI one 1/4 every 20mins or sooner if I feel I need it. Try to save the gels for the run but am allowed them in the bike after 6hrs if I need the change.

Diet coke and squares crisps are going in my special needs bag. All weather oddball but seems to work for me. 

• SS.I don't look at carbs or calories.I just try to keep eating and drinking the whole bike leg.....

• and I don't eat or drink anything like what most people would say is 'enough'. Though I do make an effort to eat more when racing - on a four hour ride when training I will usually have less that 200 calories - but breakfast is a lot closer than on race day and I won't have swum first.  On race day I will either sip carb drink until just before the start or take a last minute gel, stick to water for the first 20 minutes on the bike just to settle the stomach then have gels diluted in a bottle and bites of Nakd bar or Shot Bloks after an hour or so. It is very personal and you need to be prepared to adjust depending on conditions and how you feel on the day.

• K9 wrote (see)

Mind you..I've honestly felt utterly negative from the word go about this.

The training - although not much more than what I would usually do - has felt really arduous, and made me get slower and slower rather than faster.

I feel less fit than I felt this time last year which I can't understand

All I can think about is getting this over and done with so I can get on with my life..

Surely I should be excited and apprehensive.whats going on?

K9, from all the training you've done and posted on this thread - you are ready.  You have done enough, so now you need to rest up a bit, and start thinking about how cool it is you get to stand on the start line of an IM image  It is natural to have negative thoughts and worries, but try to put them aside.  To look at it another way, if you really hadn't done enough, then it is too late now, and absolutely no point worrying about it.  You HAVE done enough though, and will get round.  Believe in yourself and your training, and you'll have an absolutely fantastic day.  Think about the things you can control (pacing, nutrition, staying in the moment etc.), and forget about the things you can't (weather, other people etc.).  When the day comes, everyone will be rested and ready, and I bet you'll be feeling more positive about it image  Think about all the reasons why you wanted to do this race and celebrate the fact you've got through the training plan, and get to start this awesome race imageimageimage Adrenaline and support on the day will carry you far too

Also a good tip for when you pack your transition bags - lay all your kit out on the appropriate bag then take a picture with a camera/phone/iPad etc., so that once you've dropped your bag off, and you have a panic that you've forgotten something vital, you can check the picture to reassure yourself.

• I'm with Seren on that, just keep eating and drinking

Gel every hour and half a flap jack every hour between the gel if that makes sense, basically its a gel or flapjack every 30 mins, with as much water / Hi 5 as i want / need

• And what Lee says

When you get to HPP to register and rack, the lake looks quite daunting, prepare yourself for this mentally, you have done the training but with it all strecthing out in front of you it looks like a long way, it isn't

Also you will lots of people all looking toned, trained and fit, remember you belong here with them!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Snail, re nutrition.  If you want facts and figures it is my understanding that the body can absorb up to 400 cals/hr when training (I do know carbs in g but have forgotten.) However, that's a very simplified figure and the true figure is based on your weight plus your own capability to process intake during exercise.  In reality, most of us can probably manage up to 300cals on the bike and less than this on the run.  To increase your ability to intake the higher end, you need to practice in training.

Furthermore, the harder your body works, the fewer cals or g/carbs you can absorb as the body moves the blood away from the stomach thus meaning it stops digesting food. This means two things, you need to be working at a low enough HR to process fuel and as you progress through the day your body will find it more difficult to absorb the food as your stomach shuts down.

So, whilst TSA and Seren say that they 'just keep eating' on the bike, if you look at what TSA is actually eating it probably adds up to about 300ish cals/hr and he's doing this through practice and instinct.  The flapjacks I eat are 240 ish cals, there are just under 200cals in a bottle of High 5 2:1 and a gel is around 90 cals.  So he's eating 200cals (1/2 flapjack and a gel) plus what he's drinking, if that's half bottle of energy drink say 100cals per hour.  This all adds up to 300cals.

A few other things, you may want less as your stomach shuts down, so you are unlikely to over eat.  You may find that as the day goes on and your stomach shuts down you may not want solid food.  It is natural to progress from more solid food at the start of the bike to less solid food towards the end of the bike and onto the run.  This is normal.  You may also find that if you push in lots of solid food and your stomach can't process it, pretty soon after you get on to the run course you may need a poo (and quickly). This is because all that solid food has been sat not digesting in your tummy and is now being jumped up and down. Your stomach can't process it, so it ejects it.  Downwards.

In conclusion, you could try for 300 cals an hour on the bike and 200 on the run. Try to roughly learn the calorific content of the things that you like.  This is useful because funny things happen on race day and you may suddenly find you can't stand the idea of what you had intended to eat (happened to me once with Power Bars.) Consider moving from solid to liquid fuel as you progress through the day.  Try to keep HR under control on the bike so that you can digest the solids for as long as you can.  Try to stay off caffeine as long as you can and once you start using caffeinated products, keep using them.  (Personally I switch from ordinary High 5 gels on the bike to caffeine gels once I start on the run.)  If it's hot, have something salty in case you need it.  Peanut butter sandwiches, marmite sandwiches on white bread are good for this on the bike, or nuts, Mini Chedders or Pringles (let me know if you want calories for those!) 

Finally, if you need to do a poo on the run course (hmm perhaps I mean in a portaloo!) do one, you may find that will clear your stomach and you will feel better afterwards.  It doesn't mean you're going to get the squits for the rest of the race.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Erm, sorry, I've lectured you!

If you're not asleep already I do this: Bike - peanut butter sandwiches on white bread crusts off and cut in to quarters, flapjacks, nuts, gels.  I alternate according to if I fancy salt or sweet and to ensure I'm getting some salt in.  I also alternate High 5 energy drink and water.  I eat something every 30 mins, just like TSA.  After 4/4.5 hrs I stop eating solids as I know it won't go in and I try for 3 gels per hour and High 5/water to thirst.  On the run I switch to a High 5 caffeine gel every 30 mins and plain water. I take a salt tab each hour on the run if it's hot.  If I get sick of the sight of gels I move onto coke and alternate coke and water.

I'm sorry I've lectured you. I just want you to do well. image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

M..o.use thanks for that it really helps. It's nice to know of all the various alternatives because as you say on race day plans and tastes can change so it's great to know what you could try instead.

One tip that helped me this week is if your stuck in ahead wind ignore speed and just work on keeping your cadence the same all be it in a lower gear, that way you minimise speed loss and energy loss so when you come out of it you still feel good and can pick up time then.

Well you can if you bike doesn't then break image , poor Pip is most upset that she broke but I've assured her  we can mend her better than ever and it's not her fault.

• I talked to mouse about this the other week and adapted it to suit me. On the 112 fens ride I had a gel every 20 minutes and then something solid on the hour. I was using banana Soreen mini loaves, little pre-packed flapjack and zipvit sports bars (my favourite). Drink when I wanted. 4x750ml bottles. 

With Soreen or flapjack it was 300 calories an hour, with zipvit bars it was 400. I felt we'll fuelled all the way through, and if it hasn't been for battling the wind I could have for off ready to run. 

The idea of putting all your gels in a bottle, bit if water and mark the gradients is genius. Makes taking it really easy, no chance of littering, no gel explosions, dribbles or other disasters. 

Also tried a behind the seat bottle holder. It's brilliant! I might not even bother with the front aero bottle. Having to sit up to drink will give me a bit of a stretch and move

• K9, Southern Snail and EP, as the e-mail from OSB last week said, "The time for panicing has passed." I feel, strangley, at ease at the moment and can't wait to get to the start line, but I'm sure the next 13 days the fear will build. Have faith in the training we've all done and what will be will be!

Re: nutrition. I am sticking with what has got me through my long rides during training. 1 gel as I get on the bike, then a High5 gel at 20 minutes, a High5 caffine gel  at 40 minutes and a home made peanut butter flap jack on the hour and drinking to feel but atleast 750ml of High5 2:1 every 2 hours. On the run, gel every 20 minutes and alternate small amount of water and High5 every 20 minutes (so intake every 10 minutes). Solids on the run just don't agree with me and go through at a rate of knots.

Hope that helps if you are still looking for ideas

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Ali - I've done two big races in windy conditions - Outlaw last year and Lanza this.  At Outlaw last year I fought the wind all the way around, ground myself into the dirt, no idea what my HR or cadence was.  Consequently I died on my arse on the run.  I think this had a detrimental effect on my overall time. 

At Lanza I moderated my approach and did exactly as you say, thought about what I was doing and didn't fight the conditions.  Yes, I did a slow bike split but I had something left in the tank for the run.  It's a triathlon after all, not a swim/bike event.  If you're going to beast yourself on the bike and have nothing left for the last bit, you're doing the wrong sport, surely? (That doesn't mean you have to run the whole thing, I endorse walk breaks, but you have to have something left in the tank.)

• If you are overdressed on the bike simply lob. Your kit of course next to a pirate they will return st the end image

• seren nos wrote (see)

oh dear darknes ruined the list,.....imageimage

rememeber everyone the unofficial pirate rule....you can only add someone to a number list if they come on the thread and ask..........you should n't take it from the start list just because they have pirate in the start list........Its a old unwritten rule set in the dungeons of time......and you do not want to know the punishment for such a thingimage

The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

And what Lee says

When you get to HPP to register and rack, the lake looks quite daunting, prepare yourself for this mentally, you have done the training but with it all strecthing out in front of you it looks like a long way, it isn't

Also you will lots of people all looking toned, trained and fit, remember you belong here with them!

You might want to talk 5 minutes on the saturday and just think where are you getting out of the water which way are you going and where is the toliet if you need it. Personally even through I'm relaying it I'm going to sneak off in the night when no-one else is there and just visuise the finesh line and walk through it all. It can be very relaxing and seem's to work. Although it tends to scare the guards watching everybodies bikes. image