So what's the answer...?

So: Labour were crap, the Tories are crapper and the Lib Dems would sell their souls for a chocolate Hobnob.

True democracy is dead because nobody can be bothered to vote; people working full time still have to have their wages topped-up by the state; nobody can afford to retire but there are not enough jobs for the young; disabled people are simultaneously being made redundant and threatened with a reduction in benefits; utility and transport companies only exist to make profits and "value" butter costs £1.19... 

What's the answer? What would you do differently? Or do we need a fecking revolution?

Comments

• I have never failed to vote in my life

I have always thought that if people can't be bothered to vote, they have abdicated their choice, and can have no further comment

• A lot less people, here and in world in general would be a start.

oh and it should be compulsery to voteimage

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I have never failed to vote in my life

I have always thought that if people can't be bothered to vote, they have abdicated their choice, and can have no further comment

No, neither have I but would you not agree that it is a problem if the government is becoming increasingly less representative of its people? Whether you blame the voter or the government it's still a problem. So what's your solution?

Compulsory voting will only work if you are given the option to choose "none of the above". Being forced to vote for someone you don't want to vote for is about as undemocratic as it gets.

• It's representative of the ones who wish to be represented, the others don't matter
  • I can't even begin in telling you what's wrong about that statement  Dave, so I won't bother. 

You sound like Mitt Romney.

That is not a good thing.

• But if people can't be bothered to vote, they get the government they deserve
  • basically screampillar were all f****d and theres nothing we can do about it.

its been happening for years and now the proverbial shit has hit the fan its too far to have a resolution.

the revolution idea does sound good thoughimage

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

and "value" butter costs £1.19... 

What's the answer? 

Try Aldi, or Lidl

(or use less butter - it's not good for you anyway).

Tesco have Kerrygold on two for £2 at the moment, too.

• shop at asda......welsh butter £1........

a few years ago one of the christmas hamper comnpanies went bust.................the 1000s who had saved their pennies and pounds with them lost their christmas presents and vouchers a few weeks before christmas...these were mainly very low income households,...........the government was sorry but couldn't help.........

but when the bank crisis happened and those who had more than £30,000 in savings in one bank discovered that they might lose part of those savings........especially those who had invested abroad to get a better deal...then the government stepped in to guarantee the savings.............

so which group really needed the governments ....and which group has the influence to persuade the government to help

• I was just using butter as an example of rising prices. A couple of years ago you were only paying that for the posh stuff, otherwise it was about 79p.

Given its ingredients, the ease of manufacture and that fact that we have a dairy industry in Britain there's no way it should be so expensive.

I think the answer to your question Seren is that we all need government to govern fairly and apply the law, bailouts, etc. consistently and yours is an example of them patently not doing that. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

The answer, if you don't like what's on offer, is to start your own political party and seek the votes of the people to your own way of running things.

If you can get enough votes, you can run things your own way.

..or join one of the established parties to influence their policy.

BUT there's no point just saying "That's not fair!" you have to offer an alternative.  Do you increase benifits and minumum wage etc so the poor have more money or does this just lead to higher inflation?

Do you increase corporation tax on multinationals or does this just lead to companies funnelling their profits elsewhere?

Do you subsidise farming to keep food prices low or does this lead to overproduction and wastage?

No easy answers, but one thing I am sure of is that the old left/right dogmas need to be forgotten.

• you guys sound like the internet.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Actually, I have wondered why butter has gone up so much, when milk hasn't.

It is because there would be more fuss if milk (which is seen as an essential) went up loads, but butter is seen as a bit of a luxury?

Are butter users subsidising milk-drinkers?

• Milk is very cheap...do good point wilkie
  • whichever political party is taking its turn to play at government at a particular moment isn't something that interests me much.

if that means I have no right to complain, that's fine. i've no intention of complaining.

relax. there has never been a better time to be alive than now.

• although I am a keen butter eater, so perhaps I should complain image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You could make your own butter, but having done some research, it seems you would need two gallons of milk to make a pound of butter.

At £1.29 for half a gallon, the home-made butter would be a lot more expensive than in Tesco.

• what about bread thats expensive 

(keeps the ball rolling image)

The answer, if you don't like what's on offer, is to start your own political party and seek the votes of the people to your own way of running things.

I got called Mitt Romney for a similar suggestion

Butter is better for you than marge, And I make my own bread

Very true. The Name "Adolf Hitler" sprang to mind when I read that though image

the dude abides wrote (see)

whichever political party is taking its turn to play at government at a particular moment isn't something that interests me much.

if that means I have no right to complain, that's fine. i've no intention of complaining.

relax. there has never been a better time to be alive than now.

On a personal level I would agree with you Dude. But I know how well off I am in comparison to a lot of people.

I'm sure there are many people that wouldn't.

Wilkie, I think you are right that milk is a "staple", I'm not sure if butter is classed as a "luxury" but that wouldn't make sense as far as I can see. Apart from anything else the only cheaper alternative to it seems to be Stork. Unless it's compensation to the dairy farmers for providing cheap milk - in which case you are right about the butter users subsidising the milk drinkers, Fecking cow-juice-guzzling bastards! image

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Very true. The Name "Adolf Hitler" sprang to mind when I read that though image

I thought Shirley Williams, Bill Rodgers, and David Owen..........

• The reality is that this country is decidedly middle of the road - Some people are very right wing some really left but most are kind of in the middle - You would have thought the lib dems should sweep the board but in the past their policies have been mostly sensible but too expensive to put into action  - hence the u-turn when they do actually get a bit-part in the power game.  I really though the two david's might do it (I feel old now cos that was a while ago) when the lib-dems got together - but it seems most people play it safe and votes for the 2 big parties instead.

Party politics suck anyway - the correct course of action isn't always clear and it does my head in to hear politicians scoring points instead of looking for solutions. But we get the politicians we deserve.  If voters read comic red-tops and vote the way the editors tell them - then hell mend them when idiots get into power and politicians become talking heads spouting sound bites rather than statesmen/women.

William Hague should have been PM - more brains than the lots of them put together despite the party he belongs to.

But at least we don't have Mit Romney.

• Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. - H. L. Mencken

Not sure what the answer is. I'm a member of a political party (Lib Dems), although I'm not in any way active. If I'm honest I'm rather less enthusiastic about it than I used to be.

At least I get to vote in their frequent leadership elections. To a certain extent I've got more influence with that than I do in the general election - I live in an ubersafe tory seat and I sometimes wonder if it's even worth voting.

• Always worth a vote Tom......

Who you going to replace Clegg The Poodle with ?
  • I'd guess that Clegg will quit after the next general election, hard to say which Lib Dems will still have a seat after that!

• Milk is cheap because the supermarkets have created a price war to bring the price down. Many now sell it at a loss, which is why your local milkman is so expensive in comparison.  It is cheap basics that bring the punters into the supermarket, and then once they are there they buy some of the expensive stuff too.  Few households don't buy milk, but not many people buy butter in comparison.

As for politics, I was horrified to discover when I moved into the neighbourhood that my local council has a BNP representative.  It doesn't matter which party I vote for next time as long as she doesn't get back in.

• I feel really sorry for the lib-dems. Talk about a no win situation.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wilkie wrote (see)

Actually, I have wondered why butter has gone up so much, when milk hasn't.

It is because there would be more fuss if milk (which is seen as an essential) went up loads, but butter is seen as a bit of a luxury?

Are butter users subsidising milk-drinkers?

More or less what SC said - milk is being bought far too cheaply by Supermarkets. Dairy farmers can hardly make a profit on it, some can't and are going under, looking to diversify or just packing it it before they go under.
    Buying milk directly from the farm is more expensive.