So what's the answer...?

2»

Comments

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

The answer, if you don't like what's on offer, is to start your own political party and seek the votes of the people to your own way of running things.

If you can get enough votes, you can run things your own way.

Very true. The Name "Adolf Hitler" sprang to mind when I read that though image

I thought Shirley Williams, Bill Rodgers, and David Owen..........

That didn't work though did it? The party is long defunct.

Interesting points about the Lib Dems - the problem is that they have never really been seen as a party that stands on its own merits, only as an alternative to the other two. They are popular in local government,  so everybody trusts them to get the bins emptied, but no-one wants them to run the country. Perhaps they need to get out and ask the voters why.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Because their policies are a bit nutty.

I hadn't realised they had any.........

I thought it was just roll on your back and have your tummy tickled by Dave and his chums

• Whoever the minority party is, they will struggle to get into Govvernment primarily because the media give them less attention.  It makes better news to see a simple black and white arguement between the two main parties and throwing in a third point of view just muddies the water as far as the mass media is concerned.

Less publicity means that the Lib Dem policies receive less attention and therefore are more likely to have holes or be unrealistic as there is less incentive for them to come up with something that is more robust.

The unique position (for them) of being in a coalition is not helping things.  They get slated as puppets of the Tories if they agree with their policies, and get slated as trouble makers trying to bring down the Government if they disagree.

For all of those reasons the Lib Dems are going to struggle to get votes however good at their job they are.

• SuperCaz wrote (see)

They get slated as puppets of the Tories if they agree with their policies, and get slated as trouble makers trying to bring down the Government if they disagree.

Such as Nick The Poodle going on the lunchtime news to give a statement on drug classification that clearly contradicts Dave statement of earlier in the week.

Almost as if he has to say stupid / contradictory things just to prove he hasn't had his brain removed

• Actually, the best thing to happen the the Lib Dems was Nick Clegg's chance to argue on the same platform as Brown and Cameron in the pre-election debates. The evidence seems to be that a lot of people actually sat up and listened when he did, although it didn't necessarily translate into votes.

This may be something they need to work on next time round, although I suspect the damage has been done by going into coalition. It probably would have been the same if they had gone into coalition with Labour - they were between a rock and a hard place.

As it is, the Conservatives aren't letting them put any of their election policies into practice, that's why Nick has to keep contradicting Dave. All a bit pathetic but quite predictable.

I think they probably will manage to hold the coalition together until 2015 but only just. I reckon all hell will break loose after that. 

• scream....i 5think the damage that going into coalition with the tories will affect thelib dems for so long that they might never get it back.from their high points to the low in a few short years..........

The tories have got all their policiers throuigh but every time the lib dems try to get theirs the tories say sorry we can't force the back benchers.......

the lib dems have gone back on all their election promises...their time in power has only been used to help the tories to get all their policies through...........they have become the tories minions and have shown that they have no leadership strength........just weakness......to get a position they sold their soulsimage

• They did. And now, apparently UKIP have pushed them into 4th place. All a bit predictable really.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Actually, the best thing to happen the the Lib Dems was Nick Clegg's chance to argue on the same platform as Brown and Cameron in the pre-election debates.

Screamapillar wrote (see)

And now, apparently UKIP have pushed them into 4th place. All a bit predictable really.

You previous post may explain the last one

• If you want butter from British cows then you have only 1 option now too.

I do think butter was considered a luxury item a while back anyway.

Such is life.

• I haven't used butter or margerine for years, waste of calories. I don't buy milk either because it's too expensive and again a waste of calories. Tap water is far cheaper.

Oh, and in 39 years living in the country i've yet to meet a poor or even hard up farmer!