RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Good luck with this one Spoons ... what ever the goal ends up, I hope you achieve   image

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Whoop whoop. Spoons will have to sober up now. image
  • I'm in the pub image

Will rush back straight away.....

• Goodness .. I think you two will be well matched !!

• Stop at the off licence and pick me up some magners will you....image
  • Right then, I'm back from the pub and 50% sober. Let's get down to the serious business of marathon training....

Do you have a marathon?

Do you have a plan?

What have you done so far?

• Oh dear..I seem to think this may be the problem thread or the year..i seem to remmeber that carterusm has some strange habit and fanciesimage

Congratulations

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Plans?  Tonight is for celebrating not talking shop!

• I'm now approaching 75% but f*@k it - it's Xmas!

• Carter - long run in the morning?

• carterusm wrote (see)

OK, here goes.

Basically, I have no idea what I’m doing and I need help. This time last year I was a 44 year old fat bloke who started running to lose weight. 2 stone lighter my main reason for running has changed from weight loss to enjoyment and the challenges it brings. This change occurred at the time when I got my lovely little ball of fluff Springer spaniel puppy called Harvey (some of you may have noticed on another thread that Harvey has had a life saving operation after his bowel and stomach ruptured and is now laid up with a cruciate knee ligament injury so cant go out for walks image I’m not going for the sympathy vote, honest but pictures of the little chap are available if you would like to see him). We started going for walks in the Peak District and I thought it would be nice to go running out there. Then I became hooked and now I try and go for a run in the Peaks as often as possible. For example, last Saturday I did 11 miles in 6-8 inches of snow and ice and I loved it. That should hopefully demonstrate to you that I am not a fair weather runner and will do my training regardless. After posting some questions on this website people gave me some great advice in my preparation up to my first ever race, the Clowne half marathon. My training used to consist of running as fast and as hard as I could on every run I went out on as I didn’t know any better. Obviously, this left me feeling drained all the time but with the forumites help and guidance I smashed my 2:00 target to come in at 1:47.

So, I have got races booked in for next year but looking at my schedule I sometimes wonder if I’ve bitten off more than I can chew: Liversedge HM, Grindleford Gallop (22 miles trail race), Sheffield HM, Howgills UltraTrail26, Lake Coniston FM, York 10k, Belper Rugby Rover (19 mile trail race) and the Ladybower 50 ultra. I also have a place in the Manchester marathon and that is to be my A race and main focus.

Nuttition could possibly be an area in which I could improve; currently, my pre-race food is a doner kebab, I take on Magners liquids during a run and my post race snack is a chicken madras.

So, with my ridiculous approach to training plus my diary for next year I am determined to finish every one of those races and have plenty of fun along the way. A mentor would go along way to helping me achieve this as I think I have set myself a very challenging year and will probably struggle and/or burnout if I am not properly organised. I have seen the Hal Higdon Advances 2 training plan and this has been plotted into my spreadsheet (I’m afraid I’m anal when it comes to spreadsheets !) but there have been many changes to it already so advice is certainly needed there.

So, that’s my pitch, please vote for me. Please. Go on, go on, go on, go on. Stop begging man……Anyway, I am off to start my eleven year training plan now.

Enough of my ramblings, I am off to make lots of money for charities, I have an appointment this morning  to donate a kidney and I can see an old lady who needs help to cross the road.

Good luck to one and all and happy running to everyone.

For reference

• Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Where to begin? image

• In the pub I reckon ...

• Why not?

I should add that I'm from Peckham although I've lived in Norfolk for 11 years so CarterUSM were local lads to me 20 years ago.

• I'm already in the pub so my training has got off to a good start.

Minni - I started celebrating Xmas yesterday and it will go on until 02/01, at least.

Seren - I hope you, like me, will be having mushy peas with your Xmas dinner ?

Spoons - yes I do have a plan. Here is an overview. Tonight - get pished. Tomorrow - get pished. I think you can see where this is going. My festive plan also consists of eating lots of kebabs but, as you say, feck it its Christmas.

Do I have a marathon - yes, Manchester.

What have I done so far - one half marathon a month ago in1:47.

Do I have a (running) plan - My running plan is on my computer so will post details of that tomorrow.
  • Great stuff. Get as much drinking and kebab eating in as possible over the next few days. It's going to be a tough 2013 image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Well done carterusm image Interested to know what your target time is as this thread has a range. I am doing Paris in April and am aiming for 3:45 so will be following you with some interest.

That is of course after you get all this Christmas excess out of the way ...

• Carl - 1:47 half should be around 3:45 ish. Have you done a marathon before? 

• This thread is going to be fun, good luck Carter

• Thanks for the good wishes.

When I ran my HM I set myself the target of 2:00 but finished in 1:47. Coming in to this I would like to crack 4:00 but it seems like the boss is setting me 3:45, same as carl. Do you have a race lined up SC ?

Spoons - I am up to about 80% on the pished scale now. Is my pacing ok or do you want me to speed up or slow down??
  • I've got a 10K(Nairn) and HM in March (Inverness), and I'm planning to do Loch Ness Marathon in September, I'll probably do a couple more 10k's and at least another half between April and September.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Spoons - yes I do have a plan. Here is an overview. Tonight - get pished. Tomorrow - get pished. I think you can see where this is going. My festive plan also consists of eating lots of kebabs but, as you say, feck it its Christmas.

Oh dear.  Spoons could have written that image  This could be a dangerous match....

SC - do you live up that way?  I used to run the Great Glen Relay back in the day and have done the Monster twice in recent years (as a relay - not the whole thing).    Inverness is a great place for running and I wouldn't mind trying the marathon one of these years.

Carl - this is the perfect thread for you.  Spoons'll sort you out. image

• Morning - not to hungover I hope

• Hmmm, taps fingers on table, where is he?

Need to get started. Time is getting away from us. No time for hangovers or sleeping. Down a quick Resolve Extra and get out there!

• This is a good spectator sport  image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sarah lying drunk somewhere too. I don't think they're taking this seriously.
  • Oh god......this is gonna be fun!! image 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

Carl - 1:47 half should be around 3:45 ish. Have you done a marathon before? 

Spoons - have run VLM in 2011 and 2012 both for charity. Went into the 2011 with a calf injury and finished in 4:46 and picked up an injury on the 2012 about mile 9 when I went over on a discarded lucozade bottle.

I ran the Bupa 10k as my first race after VLM 2012 with little tarining and on a very hot day in 49:46 and my fastest half is the Rotal Parks in 2011 at 1:47.

I am running Paris in 2013 and probably Dublin. This time I am running for a PB.

I put all the above into an Asics training plan and with a goal of 3:56 and it came back with a training plan with a target time of 4:06.

I have been following the plan loosely since October and have been covering 20+ miles per week.

I have got  a consistent 5 mile pace now of 7:30 - 7:45 min/mile and and runninh 10 miles in the 8:00 - 8:10 mm.

I ran 4.5 miles yesterday and am going for a 7.5miler later today.

I want to break the 4 hour mark but my real target is 3:45.

Anyway. Enough about me.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Spoons - just to add. I know I need to change the training plan as I am not really following it just using it as a guide during pre-conditioning. I am ready to increase the mileage now but to what ? Also pacing has probably been my downfall in the past. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Minnie - thanks for the advice and all the support. image