RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Last but not least

You may have to keep a lid on that 'submit' button imageimage

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Woah! I was literally not expecting this one!  This was my pitch in case anyone didnt see it:

I’ve been a regular forumite for a few years now and finally stepped up to marathons this year using the Shades plan. Previously – the most I ever ran was half marathons and I thought that I had found my distance. I was wrong. Ive followed the various Forum 6 threads for the past year and avidly last year as we were ‘in the same’ boat. I did my first marathon (VLM) in 5.30. I had stomach issues from Mile 17-22 and felt like crap when I ended…. But somehow entered another marathon… and another…. And another.

I’m not due for just one marathon next year (which may put me out of the running) but 13 so far. I have been known to enter marathons online whilst drunk and am known to run them with friends 'just for the fun of it'.

I’m looking for a voice of reason and support from someone who deals with the distance on a regular basis and everything that goes along with it (taper, rest, training). I’ve targeted some of them as my “A” Race and others as just enjoyable long runs with friends. I need structure and a detailed plan to follow as this works best for me.

RE: Speed: I ran Amsterdam in 4.55 and felt strong and good throughout so I know that I have room to improve and push forward. I’m hoping to get 4.30 in Paris and then see how I can improve after that but I’m looking for someone who knows what they’re talking about and not just my ‘try it and see’ method.

I always try my best and if I say that I’m going to do it – I’ll do this (this also comes across as stubbornness I’ve been toldimage). I work stupid hours at work so most of my runs are done at SOC (stupid o’clock) and in various locations wherever I’m travelling that week.

PBs:

-          10km: 1.02 (June 2012)

-          Half marathon: 2.10 (Oct 2012)

-          Marathon: 4.55.53 (Oct 2012)

I’m not the fastest speed demon out there but I’ve always got a smile on my face and always looking to help out others at the ‘back of the pack’.

Based on the thread from last year – I cant offer anything cute…I’m allergic to anything with fur -  but I love dogs and will regularly run with dogs from the local shelter if I can.

====
    I'm still in a little bit of shock! Crickey. *Waves at flat footed* image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    image well done Emmy!
  • Damn!  Sorry Emmy, didnt realise you were after someone who knew what they were talking about ..... will Flatfooted do ??   image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Damn!  Sorry Emmy, didnt realise you were after someone who knew what they were talking about ..... will Flatfooted do ??   image

Flatflooted will be fine. As long as they don't mind my ramblings and questions!...

• Em your in safe hands Flatfooted git me round Brighton in record time!

lots of luck!
  • Em... Congratulations image

• Someone slap Meldy please.

Waves to vikW.

Can i just confirm that you are running 13 marathons next year?

• So we are targeting Paris as our A race target, i think. I'm about to dump aload of questions on you to try to get some planning done.

What others have you got before it, Can you give me a rough breakdown of your weekly mileage now and how many days a week you can run, any injuries, either current or past that may affect you. Any family or work related issues to factor in, Are you a member of a club?

Think that should get us started.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK. Here's hoping that I don't scare you off with this one.

Races: Here are a list of those currently signed up for/planning.

• January: Enigma Double Marathon (5-6)
    • February: Malta marathon (ideally an A race)
    • March: eco trail de paris (i cant decide between 30km or 50km. Advice is appreciated...). Also, i'm interested in a 21km or 53 trail race in Belgium (www.cretesdespa.be)... but I can be talked out of it as it's on 30th March.
    • April: Paris (6th) - A race, Antwerp (21st)
    • May: 26th: Mittelrhein marathon
    • June: Luxembourg, Giants Head
    • July: TBD
    • August: Thames Meander
    • September: Berlin (A race)
    • October: Cologne (I'll be drinking throughout this one...), Frankfurt
    • November: Kasterlee (tentative)
    • December: TBD
    Weekly Mileage: I'm following Shades marathon plan at the moment. Typical week looks like:
    • 1x 5miles - easy
    • 1x 5 miles - tempo
    • 1x MWLR - between 8-11 miles
    • 1x LSR - between 14-20 miles.
    • 1x gym session/cycling/cross training
    • Possibly 1 additional run with the dogs - 7 miles: interval (they stop to sniff something... and I need to slow down too)
    4 days a week seems to work well for me as I've not had any 'real' injuries so to say but in summer I was regularly going out 5-6 days a week. Since September - i've been running a marathon every 2 weeks/a month so have tended to relax a little on the LSR and cut it back to 12-14 milers to avoid injury/overtraining.   Injuries: As mentioned above: no real injuries. I strained a tendon in my ankle at last week's christmas enigma and DNF'd at 12 miles. The physio/doc has given me the all clear to run and i've not felt it at all since.   Family/Work: I work and travel A LOT (60/70% of my time). So i'm on the road a lot and always take my trainers along to get in early morning runs (4-5am). The main thing about travelling so much is rest - I really struggle to get in a lot of rest when i'm travelling as it's 18-20hour long stressful days. Hubby is supportive... as long as I don't go to 'stir crazy' on the amount of races that I enter.   Other:
    • I'm not a member of a club. Due to my work schedule it's impractical and I can't fit the runs in. I've tried to find running buddies but it's mostly solo runs
    • I run on a mainly Low GI diet and try to eat as healthy as I can... saying that I like a good beer and whisky!
    • Since last Monday I've been laid up with the flu...image am really hoping that it clears up soon as i'm going a little stir crazy not being able to run/exercise so i'm aiming for mid this week to start running again.
    I hope that i've not missed anything out?
  • Will I be the first one to note at the number of A races on that list imageimageimage

Looks like a great year for you

• Emmy you are quite barking

I'll ask a question

Are you willing to sacrifice any of those races in order to reach you optimum goa?

• Giants Head will be an A race obviously image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Seren - Well... mebbe image

@Meldy - I think it depends on the race and the timing. E.g. Malta - As I'm travelling - i'd like to give it a crack at a decent time but if i'm told to reign it in and stick to xx min miles - then I will. Races like Eco trail de paris are just a bit of a laugh and i wouldnt be running flat out anyway.... I've put a list of those that i'd definitely like to do. Ones already signed up for:

• January: Enigma Double Marathon (5-6)
    • February: Malta marathon (ideally an A race)
    • April: Paris (6th) - A race, Antwerp (21st)
    • June: Luxembourg, Giants Head
    • September: Berlin (A race)
    • October:Frankfurt
    The others are open to negotiation/telling off from Mr. Flatfooted.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    goldbeetle wrote (see)

Giants Head will be an A race obviously image

With SisterBadHabit at Mile 20 with beer... AND the course profile - there's no way it's going to be an A race...image It's just a race that i'm really looking forward to!

M...eldy wrote (see)

Emmy you are quite barking

I've been told that a few times.... BUT in my defence - I met someone at a race last weekend that is running 53 marathons in 2013.... mine are nothing in comparison to that!

• Its just jealousy Emmy ... I've been on the bench for a while  image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Meldy - You have my respect. I've been out for the past week with flu (my head feels like it's been hit with a baseball bat) and I've already been told off for trying to sneak out for a run! I know that I shouldn't... but it's an itch that needs to be scratched.

• What's all this Forum 6 thing about then Emmy?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Have a look here, Weedy and all will become clear image

• Hi Emmy!

Can you recommend a low GI book or two?  I've been thinking about taking a look at that since listening to Nell McAndrew's interview on marathon talk.  I've got a couple in my Amazon "thinking about it" pile.  I won't adopt it wholeheartedly, not yet anyway - unless Christmas Puddings and double cream are recommended.

• Ah, nice. Well done. See I've got some updating on my list to do as well.

Flatfooted - look after Emmy please. She's the Chuck Norris of the running world you know.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Tenijso - It was actually Nell's interview that got me into Low GI in the first place. I've struggled for a while with my diet as some things just seem to disagree with me and since adopting low gi - i've not had as many issues. I use: The GI recipe bible and the one that Nell recommended in the podcast as a general 'direction pointer'. I wanted a list of all 'good' foods to make sure that I had it in my fridge and ready to eat. I love porridge with fresh berries -there's no better way to start the day.

I didnt adopt it 'fully' straight away. I made small changes every week to my diet/shopping list and before I knew it - I was feeling so much better. I've found that the biggest issue for me was bread. I love my bread and having to cut out the white loaf was one of the hardest things for me to try. I still have a slice or two but will always try to choose a lower GI option if I can.

A friend of mine is doing the paleo diet for a year and she's struggled A LOT with finding sufficient energy during runs. Nuts and fruit wasn't enough for her but she seems to have handled it really well after a few months.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Kings of Orient Are wrote (see)

Ah, nice. Well done. See I've got some updating on my list to do as well.

Flatfooted - look after Emmy please. She's the Chuck Norris of the running world you know.

The list update will come once Flatfooted has spoken about the races image You're too kind, Weedy. I think all FF needs to know is: i'm red haired. That's a lot of awesomeness in one package image

• Thanks Emmy.  I've just ordered the little Collins Gem book to have a look.  

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Tenjiso - I have a great low GI flapjack recipe if you're interested (once you start it of course). It's scrummy and you can make it to your own tastes very easily!

• I can confirm that Emmy was looking sufficiently perky at the end of Amsterdam that she should be able to knock off another 25 mins or so, no probs image .
  • I would be interested in the recipe, thanks Emmy.  

• Congrats Emmy, another thread to follow, I'll be hoping to pick up lots of good advice over the coming months.