Is this possible?

I will be 40 in March 2013. I have decided that I would like to run 5 marathons in 2013. Having only done a half before, is this realistic?

Comments

• depends if you want to run them or race them.....build up your mileage slowly and there is no reason why not...............if you w3ant to PB at all 5 then you might have  a problem

• I would like to improve each time seren. Although I guess alot would do with staying fit and healthy. Thanks!

• Doubt you'll be able to improve on each one ?

How is your training ? Most plans are about 4 months long so that's 4 months gone. After that you could do one every two months or so. That would let you recover and get a few long runs in in between.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    When are you planning on doing your first one?

If you get a good 16 weeks of training in before the first one then you should be ok. If you try to run each one flat out then you may struggle to recover / maintain fitness between each one. If you run the first one slowly then you may be able to improve on each one.

What races are you planning on doing?
  • what is it about turning 40?!

• the dude abides wrote (see)

what is it about turning 40?!

Yeah Whats  wrong with running off with a dim blonde slapper, buying a sports car and getting a tattoo ?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dave - how else would I be able to bag a husband without adopting your strategyimage

Jamie - you don't give us any of your running background. Are you a regular runner? Have you run a marathon before! What's your weekly mileage? How far are your marathons apart?
  • Emmy H wrote (see)
    Dave - how else would I be able to bag a husband without adopting your strategyimage

Jamie - you don't give us any of your running background. Are you a regular runner? Have you run a marathon before! What's your weekly mileage? How far are your marathons apart?

Sorry I hadn't realised you were a slapper !!!

The OP did say in his first post he had "only done a half" before.....

• It is entirely realistic. Even racing them all is perfectly doable in that time frame.

• Thanks for responses! Dave I have the sports car lol. My running background is very limited. I ran Edinburgh half last May in 1:54 with not a lot of training. My aim is to start training now for first Marathon in May/June then 4 more before end of year! Oh and I want to do 5 in 5 different countries (Europe)
  • Doing 5 this year as well, started running about 18months ago & did 2 marathons last year (Edinburgh & Liverpool). Training didn't go well for either last year so suffered on both of them! but still enjoyed. Determined to get the training bit right & only looking to 'race' 2 of them this year to go sub 4.

Doing Barca in March, but as a training run for London 5 weeks after. Then Trail Marathon wales in June (going to hurt a lot I think!), Berlin in Sept (back up sub 4 attempt if London doesn't work out) & then Snowdon.

So get your training right, build up slowly and get lots of long slow miles in & you'll be fine. Staying injury free is key. Good luck.

• Thanks KK. I'm now looking at Madrid as my 1st on 28th April. That should give me enough time to build up to race day. Been out walking last 2 days and will be running 3 miles today very slowly. As you say I believe patience is the key & lots of slow miles!!