Interval Training help

Well I had been running for a while and thought I was pretty fit for a 31 year old male. I then started this Interval Training.

- I heard somewhere to do this. On the treadmill, run very fast for 8 seconds, then hop to the sides and rest, with your feet on the sides, for 12 seconds. Then repeat, for 20 minutes, all to lose fat.

- I normally can run at a level 8 (on treadmill) for 30 minutes straight pretty easily. So I decided to try Interval Training.

- After a 5 minute warm-up and stretching, I went to a level 13 on the treadmill. 8 seconds running, then 12 seconds standing on the sides. After 5 minutes I felt like I was breathing razor blades and had to stop.

- Now, I do the warm-up, then run very fast at level 16. 8 seconds running fast, and 12 seconds standing on the sides, for 30 minutes straight, all the way through.

- My heart rate is at over 170 for half the time, and between 179 - 189 for at least 12  minutes. I don't feel sick either. Right at the very end after 30 or 35 minutes. I keep running at level 16 for maybe 80 seconds non-stop and my heart rates goes to 200 bpm. It's kind of addictive for me to do that right at the end, I feel a little sick in the guts when I slow right down and am fighting hard for breath like you wouldn't believe, but my heart rates drops down pretty easily in about a minute.

- I then walk at a level 6, then 5, then 4, for a cool-off period.

- I then do more stretching, then eat some protein and a small bowl of pasta with no sauce.

- The reason why I'm after some confirmation, is because I keep reading how people are running as fast as they can, then for a rest or recovery period, are jogging or walking slowly. I just hate adjusting the speeds on my treadmill all the time. Plus from level 16, down to level 5 on my treadmill takes like 13 seconds.

- So is what I'm doing OK?

- I've been doing this about 3 or 2 days a week, other days in the week I go back to just doing a 30 minute lower level running. I also lift weights 2 or 3 times a week.

- all for about 2 months in total. I havent really lost any weight. But I think I've lost fat. I can tell by my waistline and visible muscles.

- I'm 31, male, 6 foot, 86 kg

Comments

• try doing your intervals outside, its a little easier to adjust your speed as you will not be governed by what the treadmill is doing.

Actually i would say try doing all your running outside but thats another argument. . . image

• In fairness, thats quite long for Intervals (30mins) the higher the intensity the better the results. The idea is that you should get to a point where continuing is near impossible. The harder you work, the better the result. From my experience, If on a treadmill, the tabata method 3-4 times a week gets a result. I did level 17 for 20 secs and 10 secs rest on the sides and repeated 8 times. Dependent on your fitness level you need to pick a level where by once you've finished, standing and talking is hard for a minute it or so. Embrace the pain to get the results. If outside, find a hill and sprint up it - start at 6 and increase by one each week for example, hill running is good for form too.
  • sounds quite dangerous to be leaping on and off the treadmill ( i know its to the sides) at those speeds........amazed you haven't done yourself an injury.....

what is the actual benefit of these runs can someone clarify....you state fat burning.is that why you are doing them......

• I've never seen a treadmill with levels. I feel left out. image

I thought HIIT was advised for 30 second intervals - 8 doesn't really seem that much ?

And 30 minutes does seem a bit extreme. I've only ever seen people doing it at the gym for 5 mins or so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251 this was an interesting program and it did come back with good results.
  • You need longer reps for endurance running (5k+). The reps should be in minutes rather than seconds and so should the interval between reps.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Excuse my bluntness, but that programme sounds mental.

8seconds basically sprinting, 12seconds standing still, repeated for 30minutes!?

This sounds like something off that "insanity" programme, where some plastic pec man mountain tells you to do flat out reps with tiny rests until you basically collapse. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Excuse my bluntness, but that programme sounds mental.

8seconds basically sprinting, 12seconds standing still, repeated for 30minutes!?

This sounds like something off that "insanity" programme, where some plastic pec man mountain tells you to do flat out reps with tiny rests until you basically collapse. 

You didn't reveal the elephant in the room SG, that you can run that fast for 75 minutes in one go.

To the OP. I'm not kidding, he can.

🙂

• Hi all, i have been doing interval training for a while now. I was told to do a minute of the fastest you can handle. ( the words were till your eyes water) then a minute of recovery run. and repeat that process for 20mins max.