MP3 players in races

Just seen a post on facebook from Milton Keynes Marathon about wearing MP3 palyers in races.  I had read in Runners World that this was a reason for disqualification in any UKA race, but this is NOT CORRECT.  I was worried (thanks RW!) but now am confused.  The decision is up to the race organisers but what if they don't publish their rules  not all do.  Anyone out there ever had any trouble in races when wearing an MP3 player - I do love my tunes!

Comments

• It should be a hanging offence !!!

Don't wear one, get used to the noises around you, and yes I have seen people thrown out for wearing them, as well as triping over someone last week who didn't hear me ask to get past.. but as I'm 6ft4 and 14 stone one elbow was enough to move her out of the way

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Took me about 7 seconds to find this on their FAQ section...

We do not recommend the use of personal MP3 players on the course as you need to be aware of other runners and to hear marshals instructions. If you do wear headphones then it’s at your own risk. There will be entertainment on the course to keep you motivated.

That seems pretty straightforward to me.  They don't seem to mind.  Not that this will prevent the 14-page episode of groundhog day that will inevitably follow here though.

Entertainment? It's a bloody race FFS!  HTFU!!

imageimage

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Susie, welcome to the forum. You could have chosen a less controversial topic to start off with ... this one regularly generates loads of heat but not much light image

Personally, I think mp3 wearers are anti-social and a menace. They should be lined up in front of the pack at the start of the race and shot pour encourager les autres.

And any that survive should be shot again. Male survivors should also be castrated.

I'm not a fan of mp3s in races - those that wear them claim to be able to hear what is going on, but they can't. They're a safety hazard to selves and everyone else and there is a reason why mp3 players are gradually being banned from races.

That's what I think. The iPod zombies can flame me as much as they want image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Brentwood Half marathon disqualifies people who wear them.

They put up plenty of info on their website, and signs up around the race HQ, yet people STILL turn out wearing them.  I think most races do publicise it if they are banning MP3s.  More and more are doing so.

That misinformation about all UKA races was not RW's fault, it was reported as being a fact by someone who you'd think would know.

However, if a race DOES choose to ban the use of MP3s, that's up to them and people should respect it.

Seriously, you can run without.  Thousands of people manage.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

The first MP3 thread of the New Year.  It's just like crocus spotting, only more contentious image

• Muttley wrote (see)

Personally, I think mp3 wearers are anti-social and a menace. They should be lined up in front of the pack at the start of the race and shot pour encourager les autres.

And any that survive should be shot again. Male survivors should also be castrated.

• totally agree with you on that one!!

i laughed the other day when i saw one of those sorts, especially when they dropped something and didnt realise (hopefully it was something important)

they really are a menace in races and to be ohnest are missing so much! if you really need the music to "keep you going" your not training right and should try without.

just leave the techno at home (bar the gps image) and just run and have fun, trust me its so much more enjoyable image

• Muttley wrote (see)

I'm not a fan of mp3s in races - those that wear them claim to be able to hear what is going on, but they can't. They're a safety hazard to selves and everyone else and there is a reason why mp3 players are gradually being banned from races.

I think the ones who 'claim to be able to hear what is going on' probably can, because if they're making that claim at all it means they've thought about it and adjusted their volume accordingly or are taking care to be aware of what's around them. The real problem is more likely to be people who wear them unreflectively, and like to 'get lost' in their music, so aren't paying attention.
    And actually, on the subject of people not paying attention, I think that is the actual issue -- plenty of people without headphones also zone out during a race and aren't aware of other runners. It's just more likely to happen to ipod wearers.
  • oops, sorry about the dodgy fomatting there.

• I know a race organiser who told me that MP3 players are banned in their race due to insurance costs. Interesting to see quite vociferous opposition to them from some too. Personally I used one for a while after an 8 year layoff from running, it was good at first but now I can't wear it, I just prefer not to.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Joolska wrote (see)

The first MP3 thread of the New Year.  It's just like crocus spotting, only more contentious image

Just needs the first dogs thread now.

• Thank goodness some of these posters were not born years and years ago, before mp3 players or even cassette walkmans were invented (yes I am that old). They would not have been able to run.

• Looks like i'll have to be the first to speak up in defence of mp3's then. Personally l wear one every time l go for a run as l really enjoy having something to listen to and (here comes the confession) l have the rocky 4 music on one of my playlists and when "there's no easy way out" comes on, l get a massive kick of determination.

l dont wear them in a race personally as there's enough of an atmosphere and you get enough encouragment from the other runners, marshalls and people on the sides to keep you going but for the days and nights where your all on your own, my ipod is essential to me.

• Joolska wrote (see)

and following the dogs will be the barefoot running thread

ffs - this forum is getting as repetitive as the bloody RW magazine!

• GE21 - I don't think anyone's knocking them in training - just in races

• image *start's playing Ode to the new world*. image 

image I can remember walkmans as well through. image

Susie's afraid this debate can get a bit interesting. Personal view is strongly agree with MP3 players not being allowed at races. I have seen runners in the past being unaware of Ambulances trying to get past them on a closed off road course's to give a example. And as for runner's on the street or cycleist's using them best not to get me started or I might start sounding like the Daily Mail. image

You much better off without one anyway at a race because you can join in more with the banter and support from other runners and spectator's.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cake,

MP3 for cyclists is stupidly dangerous and you take your life in your own hands.

Using them in races is also something I find odd, and selfish.

But runners wearing headfones on the street? Where's the problem in that?

Way more dangerous is those "all the gear no idea" types who go out running at night, kitted up in all black trendy gear.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

GE21 - I don't think anyone's knocking them in training - just in races

So you think l was a tad hasty in my addmitance of listening to the rocky 4 soundtrack?

Damn........

Think i'll go for a drive in my lambourghini to reflect on matters of the heart.......image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Only 10 months until the "London Marathon ballot is so unfair" threads.

On the subject of I pods, do what you like in training but if a race organiser says that you shouldn't use them, then why not respect his decision?
  • I wear headphones all the time when running.  Have entered my first race in May and am not going to wear them there so will just have to get used to running without.  Am looking forward to the atmosphere and hoping that will spur me on more than the MP3 player.

• I wear mine when running, I will have them on me in races for those times I need to dig deep. I am conscious of how annoying some people can be so always try to run on one side, keep volume down / use one ear and never ever move out  / to the side unless I checked first, But like all these things, they do make me zone out but no more then if I was runningand I had the hump . . image  So like all things, if people are considerate, mp3 is fine . .but its those people with little 'awareness' of the mp3 issues that are the pains in the necks and give us mp3 lovers a bad name.

• And of course Envious against the rules in lots of races
  • Personally I've never liked the feeling of having music directly into my ears and rarely worn headphones, even on a treadmill. Although I have thought about using music recently as my runs start getting past the 2 hour mark.

My husband wears one earphone, which seems to allow him to hear what is around him as well as the music.

Do what you want, as long as you are safe and considerate, and respect organisers' rules seems to be the way forwards.

What has annoyed me more in recent races is people not using headphones, and subjecting runners around them to their choice of music blasting directly out of a phone. Very annoying when that person is running at about the same pace as me, and I can't seem to shake them.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Envious plodder wrote (see)

keep volume down / use one ear

from experience of many pairs of headfones screwing up mid run, isn't one ear or low volume just more annoying then running without anything?

Can you even make it out over the sounds of loads of grunting oafs and general out door noise?

• I only use my iPod on the treadmill and then only on recovery runs. They fall out at speeds in excess of 8.5mph.
  • Take the irresponsible ones to the Tower of London and give them the Sir William Wallace treatment.Job done image

• Is it not possible for people to use their own memory and just have the music going through their brain like a long earworm. If you listen to the same music often enough surely you can just remember the tune and be running at the correct pace. I can be thinking of a variety of songs whilst running at no cost whatsoever. After halfway point of a race or indeed any long training run, the earworn of "Homeward bound"  is cheesy but helps for a minute or so and lifts my confidence that I
    can finish.
    Needing to dig deep at points in a race will always happen, get over it and keep running, it is called character building.

• i tend not to use one for shorter races (marathon or lower) but I do pack one in my bag for ultras and long training runs, in case of emergencies. although not when banned of course.

• MP3 players in races are indeed very wrong, and runners doing so should be tarred and feathered for such shameful displays.

Obviously the only acceptable form of music to accompany you in a race is in the form of a large 80s style boom box over one shoulder, preferably with a looped copy of Rage Against the Machine's Killing In The Name playing nonstop.