London Marathon 2013 - Runners & Supporters

Comments

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

And a guy with a girl?  Some fantastic friendships have been founded by Mudchute, but don't go getting carried awayimage

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Organisational stuff

Runners

Leave any special needs specifically for yourselves at the Runners World stand labelled clearly with your name, group and any special instructions (i.e if you want us to defizz a drink for you, or instructions for mixing up a powdered drink).

Any general donations of money or goods are welcome and can be left anonymously.  Likewise donations of cake, wine or fizz are welcomeimage

Please make sure that the person you are giving it to knows that it is for MUDCHUTE.  Last year we accidently got a few things for Fetchpoint and there was a frantic rush at midnight on Saturday to get it sorted out.  Not nice for those of us who had an early start the next day too.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Group 3 for me... all I will need is some cheers please.....

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Supporters

In the next couple of weeks

Collect the data about your runners and get it in a form where it will be easy to work out who you are expecting, when and what they expect from you.  If your runners are prepared to send you photos then that really helps you to pick them out.

Come up with some way of identifying yourself to the runners.  You need a sign with your group number on it, as large as possible while also considering how you are going to get it there and how you are going to attach it.  There will be railings to attach things too, and also canes to help keep the signs high up so that we can see past them.  Number shaped balloons are only any good if the wind is not too strong and we don't burst them all when blowing them up (as happened to Group 2 last year)

In the last week

We need as many people as possible to collect stuff from Expo, and several trips on the Saturday.  It is amazing how much stuff is required and it is heavy, but many hands make light work.

The night before

You will have collected stuff for all groups, so have a quick look through it to see whether any preparation is required, for example defizzing coke

On the day

Turn up as early as you can to help set up the area, blow up baloons and get the special needs allocated to the right groups.  Don't forget to bring food and drink for yourselves as although there are places to buy provisions, once the runners start coming through you will be too busy to go wandering far.  Most people end up snacking on cake and jelly babies rather than getting a proper meal

Also bring suncream.  Yes, I know that it is still winter out there but if you are lucky you could be standing in the sun for several hours and even a weak sun can leave you burnt (as I have learnt)

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Expo Collections

Thursday - Running Rodent, LouiseG
    Friday - Running Rodent, LouiseG
    Saturday (undefined) - Claire Hardman
    Saturday am
    Saturday lunch
    Saturday pm
    Saturday closing

• I can collect Saturday pm. Not sure how I find out who I'm collecting for but I'm sure caz will let me know.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

You just take everything Kat and we sort it out on Sunday morning.  Take a big empty bag along to put it in

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Expo Collections

Thursday - Running Rodent, LouiseG
    Friday - Running Rodent, LouiseG
    Saturday (undefined) - Claire Hardman
    Saturday am
    Saturday lunch
    Saturday pm - Katb
    Saturday closing

• Can someone please put me in a support group?.. (as a runner)

thanks

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Pop along to Group 3, SwissBobby and let them know that I sent you.  Nice to see you again image

• Help please!

My family want to watch me at Mile 17 this year.

We hail from south of the river. Does anyone know whether Lewisham to Mudcute on the DLR is a feasible option - ie do trains run etc?

Any thoughts please?

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Hi Hampton, I'm pretty sure the trains do run, but it depends on whether they plan to cross the river before or after the gun goes off.  There will be a lot of people having the same idea so it will be easier for them to if they can leave you before you get running.

Also once the runners start coming through it will be impossible for them to cross the road from Mudchute to where we are (if that is what they intend to do).  From memory it starts to get busy a little before noon.

• Thanks Caz, much appreciated.

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

I'm on the red start if anyone wants to look out for me and grab a piccie of the torch, you holding of course, don't want me spoiling it. Also will be at the expo on Saturday morning and Macmillan Pasta Party on Sat. Will also take torch to recovery centre for Macmillan on the Sunday so if anyone wants that's its route for the weekend. Looking forward to lingering at Mudchute as I missed it last twice so have time to make up as well as stuff to eat and drinkimage

• You may already have seen this, or it may be in the magazine, but if not, here's a handy guide which will help your supporters know where you're likely to be and when, depending on your predicted finish time. It will also give you an idea of what time you're likely to reach us at Mudchute (look for the times at East Ferry Road).

http://static.london-marathon.co.uk/uploads/training_centre/2010-virgin-london-marathon-race-timings.pdf

• I've just realised that timing plan is dated 2011, although the link was from this year's race information. I don't think there will have been enough changes to the route to make a vast difference though. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think this year it starts at 10 rather than 9.45 so will need to add 15 mins on to those times.
  • MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Guys, i'd like to try my luck and see if I can sign up as a runner?

I got the place through the ballot but dedicating my run for RNIB. Like many most of runners I will have family and friends who would like to come and support but unsure what would be best option for them?

cheers

• Hi peeps

Hope everyone had a good weekend, I did tee hee image 

I have just bought a bundle of paper plates approx 50!! was a big pack. Ive also got some jelly babies and jaffa cakes will pick couple more packs up next week too. 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Supporters, please can you all have a look at the following list and let me know if there is anything you can bring on the day.  Please can you all try to bring something as there is no way I will be able to carry it all on the train on my own.

Jelly Babies – Claire Hardman
    Bananas – Buy on the day
    Jaffa cakes – Claire Hardman
    Baloons – SuperCaz
    RW Banners – SBH
    Helium – SuperCaz
    100’s small plastic bags – Liberty, SuperCaz
    Support Team Signs – All Group Leaders
    First Aid Kit – Becks
    Large Balls of String x 2
    Scissors x 2
    Sharp Knife x 2
    Swiss Army Knife
    Paper Plates – Claire Hardman
    Camera / Cameraman – Claire Hardman
    Bin Liners – SuperCaz
    Gaffer Tape x 2
    Bamboo Canes
    Cable Ties – SuperCaz
    Red/White striped tape

• If anyone wants to join me with Jaffa cakes/jelly babies please feel free! I've only got two packs of each at the min will get some more but wont be loads.

Plus being cameras!! I'm sure the more the merrier image

So can't wait!! Wish it was this weekend ha ha
  • If anyone would prefer I can get some jelly babies from Costco as I should be going at the weekend?

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

The trouble with jelly babies is that they are heavy.  One year I ordered a huge bag, but it weighed 3kg and took up so much room that I couldn't carry it up to London on the train.  Donations towards helping us buy some on the morning would be appreciated.

Vixx, it would be great if you could get us some, but can you get smaller bags that we can distribute between people rather than one huge bag?

• I'll have a look SuperCaz - I think I saw them in tubs, but can put them into sealable bags?

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Thanks Vixx. I just remember last year when I had to carry two rucksacks of stuff back from expo, and then carry both of them plus another bag of stuff, canes and a huge sign up to Mudchute on the Sunday morning.  I felt like a pack horse

• I'll stick them into 5 bags then - that'll be my contribution image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

MandM, sorry I missed your post earlier.  Take a wander over to the Group 5 thread and let them know that I sent you. They will look after you

• Where is everyone???

Surely I cannot be the only one who is excited about this???? image

• *bounces in all excited* I am soooooooooooo excited Vixx, I could pop image