Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Holidays are tricky but luckily I got all that out of the way in August. Mileage was a bit down this week as it took me a whiel to recover from Sunday's HM. Hoping to do an easy 24 this weekend, a 10K race next weekend, and then a 16 mile MP run with 2.5 weeks to go.

• My penultimate run is done now, 24 miles, mp+40secs, bit slower than I would have liked but ran a negative split - just need the confidence to hit mp early in the race and hang on.

We have been very lucky with the weather - you gotta love training in the warmth even if you might have to race in the cold.

Keep it up one and all, we are nearly there.

• Don't worry Martin - you'll be fine.  I always feel rusty after a break from running but you're back to normal after a few runs, and that will be well before Abingdon. To be honest, it probably gave your body a chance to shake off some of those niggles you've been ignoring image.

Interesting to see others doing 24 miles.  My run of that length was by accident - I thought the general consensus was not to head much over 22 miles in training runs. 

Rosie - I agree. It's been nice being able to go out early in the morning but still have it reasonably warm.  Yesterday morning I actually wore a coat to go running, and the other day I had a base layer on.  Next thing I know the tights will be back out... Brrr.

• Thanks zirion, and Rosie top running if I can hit that pace for my 24 I'll be v happy so hats off!
  • Sounds like some good long runs under the belt for many you. I'm hoping to get another 20+ in this weekend.

I've also gone and booked myself in for a HM two weeks before Abingdon, which I know goes against 'the rules' of a proper taper but I just want to have a go at a new PB whilst I've got the training in the bag. Plus this is the only local HM for a while and I'm impatient!

• I agree with Zirion Martin - probably done more good than harm!

Rosie - not sure I agree abou the weather! With the exception of this morning, I've been soaked on virtually every run for the last week (lots of nasty chafing issues image)

Leebe - two wekks out and you'll be fine. I did my 20M pb one week after a half marathon PB. Just need to be a bit careful about making sure you revoer properly from the half.

Hard run this morning - 16M into work, with two big downhills and a 7M long uphill in between before trying to keep up a good pace dodging traffic crossing the A4010 5 times!  After stacking up 80 miles in the past 7 days (the most I've ever done in 7 days!), the second really steep downhill has left my quads a bit mashed. Had hoped to do 5 miles at MP before a mile easy at the end, but the legs were too tired and it would have been counter-productive. Still, 5 miles at sub 7 with the last at sub 6.30 was OK to give 7:25 average overall. Pretty stiff now though - walking to make the tea has taken me ages!!

• TB, that's encouraging thanks.

Sounds like a tough commute. I always think those runs are the most beneficial as you're inadvertantly working harder to chase down the minutes that you've lost on navigating terrain and traffic!

• I remember a similar thing happening last year but it all came good so four and a half weeks (eek) of work a nice taper and carb loading should do the trick. 

Holidays are a bind where races occur, I was full of good intentions flying out but soon gave up hope. Jamie and Millsy I hope you have better discipline than me lol. 

Millsy 50 miles week for that length of time you'll be fine, you must have a very good base fitness  plenty of MP miles between now and the big day you'll be laughing!

• Thanks in part to the general winding up on here, I did manage to drag my sorry arse out of bed at 0630 (ish) for my long run.

22 miles on heavy-ish legs from a proper runner's week. Average pace was maintained throughout, give or take, depending on inclines and the brief chat with the Tri club mates at Tesco at 0900. Average pace for the whole run was 8:28 m/m and I've got to be pleased with that. Effort level increased gradually through the run in order to keep the pace up.
    All followed by a cold bath, then 2 hours of manual labour at the Churchyard working party.

• Blisters

Nice one, more will power than me. Out on the town yesterday and a last minute night shift tonight has put an end to any long runs I had planned for this weekend. Probably have to chuck one in midweek which might end up being my last 20+ before Abingdon. 

• Good run Blisters - not sure I could take a cold bath after a long run myself image, let alone having to do some physical work after!

Nice easy 3.7M leg loosener this morning for me, as I'm hoping to race a 10k xc tomorrow, but will see how I feel in the morning.

• Good work Blisters, and kudos for going on to have an active day. Bad luck Leebe on night duty forcing you into a midweek long run. I feel your pain!

Did a 14 miler this am and in spite of being shorter and slower than Thursday's effort, it felt just as tough. Starting to think about how to fit in my last long run - it's both my kids' birthdays next weekend, so it's going the be tough to carve out three hours.Looks like it will have to be another early midweek morning run... Yay.  

• Zirion,

14 miles is 14 miles more than I've achieved this weekend. And no matter how tough it might of felt just see it as more miles in the bank.

I'll be joining you in an early mid week long run. My job and kids put an end to any sort of training plan. I always have a rough idea of what sort of training I want to be doing and just fit it in around commuting and family life. As chaotic as it is it does seem to work and because nothing is set in stone I don't get too stressed when I miss a session. 

• I'm with you on not setting the training plan in stone. I had a vague plan of what I was aiming for each week, but just fitted it around how I felt. Fortunately my commute is only a five minute bike ride so I've got a bit more time to spare. The training plan's out the window anyway - only goal i can make much impact on now is to get to the start line as fit as possible. Feeling upbeat about achieving that though image 

Four weeks...

• is there still a reserve list if people have to drop out?

Rich O

• RoS you'll have to contact the organisers now, it's far too late for 1-2-1 swaps.

Zirion and Leebe, you're not the only ones with fluid training plans. I must say though that I'm envious of the 5 minute commute (is that a run potential?). A couple or four years ago I was focussed on getting the weekly miles in, and that was my guiding light. Say the target was 50, identify which day is the long run (20) leaving 6 days to get 5 days of training in, at 6 miles each. The other day was either a planned rest day or an anticipated disaster day. Out the door by 10pm was my limit. A run before work was never on the cards with my hour or two's commute.

Anyway, rest day for me today (haha). No running, just an hour's swim.

• Managed 19 miles yesterday ... supposed to be 22-24 but mis-calculated and simply ran out of time, as I'd arranged to meet my lad at the start of a 2M junior race (he ran 2 miles to the start line, so I really had to get there). Bit dispointed as not sure when I can fit in the 22-24 miler now.

• Don't worry about it too much Dan.  The general consensus seems to be that any individual run isn't going to make a massive difference to your final time.  Anyway, somewhere in those extra 3-5 miles there was undoubtedly a tree root, pot hole or broken pavement waiting to take advantage of your tired state to trip you up and injure you.  You're probably better off with a nice safe 19 miles image

• Likewise with the training plan, I have to fit my runs round work and generally they are in the middle of the week, I did my penultimate long one this morning. 24.1 @ MP + 24 secs felt fairly comfortable on and undulating course. Conditions were pretty much perfect which is very unusual for round here as its by the coast and generally very windy. Last long one is the one that has had me most worried. 1 mile w/u 18 @ MP.  

Dan it's a killer when something comes up to ruin your long run that you have no control over but like others have said its not going to make any difference to your time, they say you can miss a while weeks training out of a plan and it will have no impact whatsoever so a 19 instead of a 22 is no drama.  

• Ditto re the flexible plans being necessary. Dan - bummer! Not so much a physical issue training wise, but a mental one. Just need to keep telling yourself that the couple of miles less genuinely won't make a difference.

Raced yesterday - hilly xc 10k. It came at the end of my longest week since March 2011, so pretty pleased with 2nd V40 and 7th overall, even if it was 40 secs behind last year on the same course, especially as pace came out overall at spot on target marathon pace!

• MG15 and Big-Z, this is definitely a new phenomenon doing marathon paced long runs in training. 18 at MP is barking IMHO. If you can do it, I'd assert that you are shooting too low for the marathon pace. Then again, I have always been the one to aim slightly high, with spectacular results. It's a low percentage game, either I'd blow up, or I'd succeed higher than people expected. Others, by comparison would target a "safe", but guaranteed mara target at say 85% MHR, without daring to try going out for 86% MHR.

It's a game isn't it?

• For London I used a race which worked fine, this one will be a solo effort which makes it all the more scary unless I can get a club mate to pace me part of the way. I think a lot of it is psychological tbh and finding 18 flat windless miles in my neck of the woods, is nigh on impossible so I won't get too disheartened if I don't hit pace.
  • I hope I didn't give the impression of doing a marathon pace long run!  My long run was MP +39s(/mile). Ideally I'd have done a half (or even 20M) at marathon pace, but the injury put paid to that.  Not entirely sure how useful doing a half at that pace would be anyway: if I've got any chance of hitting 3h05m in Abingdon then I should be certain of a 92m30s half (and I am - even if the wheels fell off in a half, I'd be confident of finishing inside that).

I'm just glad that I've got a very specific target with LQ of 3h05 so don't have to agonize over my pace.  With a PB of 5h6m30s, I've got nothing to prove against myself. Psychologically I see 4h, 3h30 and 3h as big barriers to beat, but don't care about individual minutes in between.  I'm pretty confident of 3h30 even if I go out too hard and pretty certain 3h isn't on, so I've got a choice: go for a safeish 3h10 that I don't see as any more special than 3h30 or aim for 3h05m and London Qualification and if things go wrong limp home in probably less than 3h30m.

(with a massive dose of "touch wood" obviously!)

• Big Zed, maybe I was reading something into your post that wasn't there.
    For me 3:15 was the London qualifier when I was hunting it, and that took 2 attempts. I think that there was another 6 marathons before I got up to sub 3. I can't even see up there now. It will be interesting on the day. Don't worry about the prospect of runing solo, there will be nice little pack trains form up as the race progresses. It's a really good club grade outing, and lots of whippets too. If anyone wins a pot here, it's because of talent not luck.

• Agreed Blisters very high standard race, the percentage of sub 3 runners is very high compared to others. Maybe that has something to do with the amazing course but I think the course attracts pb hunters, that's the reason I travel tbh.

Legs are a bit achy this morning which isn't surprising, I'm not sure whether a loosener would be a good idea or a bad idea at the moment!
  • Wish the qualification time was 3h15m for me image.  Actually I'd settle for last year's 3h10m!

• The qualification time for my age group is now 3:20, so that has become a default plan B target. I'd like to get back into the sub 3:15 zone again.

Everything MG15 said above is exactly a mirror of how I think and feel today. ie Abo being pb city, people travelling to try and achieve their own target, my legs are also achy, and I was thinking about a day off too (but daren't).

• I did 6 easy but my right quad and left hip are sore. It just feels like tight muscles tho which are easily remedied. A quick trip to the Physio should sort it.
  • Final 20+ for me today. Did a 22 @ mp+12 which felt not too bad. I'll probably just concentrate on my mp now (7min/mile) until Abingdon except of course for Cricklade HM (6th Oct) where I'll be going for a 1:20ish.

Its getting close now!!

• Final 20+ for me is Friday most likely.   

Surprised your pace is so slow Leebe.  If you can do a 1:20 ish half, then I'd have thought you'd be on for a long way below 3h03 - somewhere between 2h50 and 2h55 maybe?

I'm aiming for a pace of 7:04 per mile, and I'm nowhere near a 80 minute half. Maybe 85 minutes on a flat course on a good day (and yes - I realise that means the goal of 3h05m is a stretch).