Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• I'm the same, regardless of weather I'll still be wearing vest and shorts. Thunder and lightning?!?! Somehow I don't think my supporters are going to be thanking me if these forecasts are reliable!

The thought of a nice hot shower after will be a welcome thought if it is heavy rain, and as you say Bus it'll encourage everyone to go for sub-3 to beat the midday heavy downpours (if they don't happen before then that is!)

Final run done earlier this evening, and my legs were feeling slightly heavy and sluggish. Is this normal during the final week taper? It's not filling me with confidence that's for sure image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It's all part of the taper madness Jamie. I get it every time.

I'm going through the imaginary injury twinges at the moment.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, I've got man flu, tendonitis, plantar fascitis, a bunion and sciatica as we speak (but somehow still bouncing off the walls with energy!)

• You all be fine on the day!   Wet, but fineimage.

• Oh good, glad to know it's "normal" and I'm not the only feeling it. I was starting to get a bit worried. I'm hoping the adrenaline will be pumping come Sunday and I'll be as fresh as a daisy!

He the man flu clears up and everything else sorts itself out by Sunday Bus. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Last HM was in the driving rain ... last 16M @ MP was in the driving rain ... I feel like I've prepared well in that respect anyway. image

Last run done ... a brisk 2M at "MP-60". Felt good to stretch the legs on the downhill return leg.

Bring it on.image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    3 miles steady today. Will rest tomorrow and then 3 more on Sat just to get the legs turning over.

So far I've had, calf strain, tight hamstring and tonight ITBS.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

No worries - all will be good for each and every one of us come Sunday (even the weather!). My glass is half full - ommmmmmmmmm....

• Even the weather forecaster's having taper madness. Wet, dry, showers, wind, calming, etc. I think that a bin bag may be the  garment of choice, ditched with some friendy Marshalls before mile 3. After that you'll be warm enough not to tell the difference between precipitation and perspiration.

Jamie, you'll need to target sub 3 if you want a nice warm shower. If you get beyond a 3:30 it'll be a moderately warm one. The 5 hour cut off is to avoid hypothermia in the changing rooms.

My favourite bit about this race is the steep stairs needed to get to the tea urn after the line. Yeah.

• 4 miles for me with 2 6:30's. Dont mind if it starts chucking it down during the race bur please please hold off at the start, I did the Tewkesbury half 2 years ago and it was a frigging knightmare. Took me 20 minutes to warm my hands up enough to drive home. Running any miles on the Saturday will detract from your finish time in my opinion. I'm in rest mode starting from now!

• BBC predicting light rain until lunch and 14 degrees which would be the perfect recipe for a fast time. (Wind dependant)

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Since moving up North, rain seems to be a constant bed-fellow, but then I do now get to run around the Peak District, when not injured anyway.

It was running along the top of one of the Edges looking at the view thinking how lucky I was to be here that put a kibosh on my race in the first place, so not always a good thing! I tripped and smacked my knee into a rock, no training for a period at the most crucial point and just started back a couple of weeks ago.

Hey ho, so no PB for me, just a pop back down South, say hello to a few friends, and toddle round a race while I'm there type of weekend. 

Presuming it will be running next year, my fingers will be poised over that keyboard come the start of February ( or thereabouts ). 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

One thing I do remember from my first Abingdon run was that the showers were the best I've had post race. Red hot water for about 10 mins; could have dozed off in there ;o).....that was off 2:48. May have been different off of 4hrs though.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It's funny - two things I remember most clearly from Abo in 2006 was the stairs to the tea urn (who's cruel joke is that?) and the showers! Oh, and falling asleep in my roast dinner afterwards!

Nice place to run Ex (when you can!)

• Thanks for the rain coat comments, Ok short t-shirt it is - black tshirt with endure 24 On the front, Capri bottoms with knee length compression sock. And a cap that says personal best cycling on the front as I think there could be a lot of bin bags around Covering up people's tops!!

• Blisters, if it means adjusting my target to get a hot shower then so be it. Sub-3 it is for me now then! Why put the tea urn at the top of some steep stairs, now that is just cruel!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bloody is!  When I did VLM I ran for MacMillan and their HQ was down a few steps - and even that felt like mountaineering!  The cheerleaders just about made the effort worthwhile though!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Right all the info in one place - should help identify who you should (or shouldn't!) be running with! Large groups will be needed for the "peloton" effect, but at least the last 6 miles should see the wind at our backs! (apologies for any eroors or missing info!)

Dachs Green vest (as picture) and union jack shoes   02:39 Martin Green15 all black Adidas with Martin on vest   02:42 Keir     02:48 The Bus Fluoro orange and green Adios. B&W vest (as pic!)   02:54 Millsy1977 black Adidas Marathon Talk t shirt,black Adidas shorts  527 02:58 Leebe Black Nike top and shorts 722 02:59 Jamie farmer black/green Leighton Buzzard Triathlon vest  75 02:59 Zirion Blue and Red Barnet top 523 03:05 Ballasteros Stubbington Green Vest   03:09 Simon W     03:10 Blisters Pirates top? Severn blue/yellow stripes? Wht headband 248 03:15 Dr Dan Hyde Park H: red vest, white text, white verticle stripe.   03:25 Rosie RR     03:35 T-Rex     03:40 Paulie B     03:45 Hissy fit     03:50 Cake Sheffield Balti T-shirt and pirate cap     Postie Postie dark blue vest with a red metre mark     Mr Boat Bournemouth AC: yellow with blue vertical stripe     Caf cherry and white "Beckenham Running Club" vest    
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hmmm, can't post a table - let's try again:

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Eh? And again:

Dachs Green vest (as picture) and union jack shoes   02:39
    Martin Green15 all black Adidas with Martin on vest   02:42
    Keir     02:48
    The Bus Fluoro orange and green Adios. B&W vest    02:54
    Millsy1977 black Adidas Marathon Talk t shirt, black Adidas shorts  527 02:58
    Leebe Black Nike top and shorts 722 02:59
    Jamie farmer black/green Leighton Buzzard Triathlon vest  75 02:59
    Zirion Blue and Red Barnet top 523 03:05
    Ballasteros Stubbington Green Vest   03:09
    Simon W     03:10
    Blisters Pirates top? Severn blue/yellow stripes? White headband 248 03:15
    Dr Dan Hyde Park Harriers: red vest, white text, white verticle stripe.   03:25
    Rosie RR     03:35
    T-Rex     03:40
    Paulie B     03:45
    Hissy fit     03:50
    Cake Sheffield Balti T-shirt and pirate cap    
    Postie Postie dark blue vest with a red metre mark    
    Mr Boat Bournemouth AC: yellow with blue vertical stripe    
    Caf Cherry and white "Beckenham Running Club" vest    

And it seemed so simple!

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Added mine to the bottom.

Dachs Green vest (as picture) and union jack shoes   02:39
    Martin Green15 all black Adidas with Martin on vest   02:42
    Keir     02:48
    The Bus Fluoro orange and green Adios. B&W vest    02:54
    Millsy1977 black Adidas Marathon Talk t shirt, black Adidas shorts  527 02:58
    Leebe Black Nike top and shorts 722 02:59
    Jamie farmer black/green Leighton Buzzard Triathlon vest  75 02:59
    Zirion Blue and Red Barnet top 523 03:05
    Ballasteros Stubbington Green Vest   03:09 
    Simon W     03:10 
    Blisters Pirates top? Severn blue/yellow stripes? White headband 248 03:15 
    Dr Dan Hyde Park Harriers: red vest, white text, white verticle stripe.   03:25
    Rosie RR     03:35 
    T-Rex     03:40 
    Paulie B     03:45 
    Hissy fit     03:50 
    Cake Sheffield Balti T-shirt and pirate cap     
    Postie Postie dark blue vest with a red metre mark     
    Mr Boat Bournemouth AC: yellow with blue vertical stripe     
    Caf Cherry and white "Beckenham Running Club" vest    

Ex Chimney 742 04:00 (ish) Green vest with white diagonal stripe, Totley on the front with black shorts. 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • It's pretty clear that The Bus is desperately trying to find things to stop him thinking too much about the race, so in order to save us from him posting *all* day long, I'll offer up this link.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Here's hoping everyone's blerches will be silenced on Sunday.

• Getting close now.

Plenty of toast and rice for me today, trying to get the carbs in today rather than stuffing myself tomorrow

I've got an evening shift at work tonight so hopefully I'll get a lie in tomorrow.

Not liking the idea of the heavy rain!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry Z  image You've hit the nail on the head! Working at home today to save the cycling legs, so a chance to have an "occasional" look at the forum!

Just off for an easy 3 miler in a mo...

• Ex Chimney wrote (see)

Since moving up North, rain seems to be a constant bed-fellow, but then I do now get to run around the Peak District, when not injured anyway.

It was running along the top of one of the Edges looking at the view thinking how lucky I was to be here that put a kibosh on my race in the first place, so not always a good thing! I tripped and smacked my knee into a rock, no training for a period at the most crucial point and just started back a couple of weeks ago.

Hey ho, so no PB for me, just a pop back down South, say hello to a few friends, and toddle round a race while I'm there type of weekend. 

Presuming it will be running next year, my fingers will be poised over that keyboard come the start of February ( or thereabouts ). 

image oh heck mate are we neighbours? If you havn't gone to for lunch at the woodbine cafe in hope valley yet give yourself a treat. image

The boat what was your finish time last year? I was 2:48 so we must have been very close. I remember sprinting (cough couHh) and trying but failing to catch a couple of runners. Maybe that was you. What time are you aiming for this year?

i did my final run yesterday. 1 mile warm up then 2 steady 6:11/6:11 and 10 mins @ MP 6:05. MP is planned for 6:15 and it felt comfortable enough yesterday so I'm going to have to be super disciplined in the first three miles, hopefully then I can get into a nice rhythm and hopefully a group. 

Pre run massage today and I think I have got to the bottom of my hip problem. I had a bit of tightness around the itb area. It wasn't itb but another muscle which I cant remember it seems fine now so wind apart all worries seem to be going. 

I hope the bbc has it spectacularly wrong. I keep flitting between different sites and picking the best one to believe lol. Rain I can take in buckets but wind affects performance so less of that please. 

Funny how these tapers send you mad and we all have the same worries lol packing my bag tonight as we're travelling down tomorrow 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yep, clear off wind!  What's the shelter (or lack of) like on the course?

Meanwhile, I woke up this morning with a slightly sore throat.  Oh dear.  Otherwise, I'm all set.  2 miles at MP on Wednesday taught me that a gel stuck in the waistband of the shorts will not work at all, so I have purchased a cheapo wrist sweatband to stick one in.  I'm probably a bit late for the '80s revival, but never mind.

Maybe for my next marathon, I could have all my gels in a sweatband on my head.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

MG15: It was in 2011; 2:48:53 (target sub 2:50)  for 20th place. I did VLM13 in 2:47:20 (pb) targetting sub 2:45 so will be going for it again. Don't get me mixed up with another BAC runner though, who will also be targetting 2:45 and has a much better chance than me.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - the shelter will be 2 or 3 skinny blokes in front of you (if there are that many , that quick!)

I sue wrist sweatband things ll the time in the summer,  otherwise I find I can't see for sweat!

3 miles just now, with a half mile at MP. Taper must be working as it felt REALLY hard! Bloody hamstrings are sore now too image

• Cheers for the runner update Bus, I'll be on the look out for people around my target time.

Had some beetroot to accompany my lunch most of this week. I've heard it can help boost speed, so it's worth a try! Plenty of carbs over the last couple of days as well. I'm putting the sluggish feeling on last nights run partly down to that as well. Plenty of stretching and foam rolling after my run as well. I'll do anything at the moment to ensure I get to that start line on Sunday in the best possible condition!

P.s. Are there no cheerleaders at Abingdon then?!