Is nobody talking about Lance Armstrong?

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Does he have character?

Heh heh!

You got it!

🙂

• Quite up to date

tp://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50467251

• RicF wrote (see)

The difficulty dealing with the subject 'Armstrong' is that its nigh on impossible to identify with the guy.

Lance, or Neil?  Although you're probably right on both counts, but for completely different reasons.

• Actually, being pernickety as I am  - as Armstrong is from Texas and Lemond was born in California technically neither is a Yank.

Sorry, just ignore me.

Armstrong makes me alternately sick and furious. A despicable excuse of a human being.

• JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

I am ready to be berrated for thinking this but I don't know if anyone saw it (see link) http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/15/lance-armstrong-ruined-dodgeball/1837351/ but he is in a 2004 film "Dodgeball", it is a silly comedy film that I happen to giggle at and watching this clip again I kind of feel cheated. I hadn't really followed the media circus surrounding the LA finger pointing but it kind of ruins the rest of the film? Anyone?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Watch Anchorman instead.  He's not in that.  image

• i felt the same about naked gun image

• This is just the first step in his new campaign to make money out of confessing to doping. I hope it all backfires on him and after the initial frenzy surrounding the interview people just ignore him.

Cycling doesn't need him. Triathlon doesn't need him. Cancer charities don't need him. Let him fade into the background and try to eek out a living working in a bike repair shop in Texas.

On your bike, Lance!

• Jiminey wrote (see)

I am ready to be berrated for thinking this but I don't know if anyone saw it (see link) http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/15/lance-armstrong-ruined-dodgeball/1837351/ but he is in a 2004 film "Dodgeball", it is a silly comedy film that I happen to giggle at and watching this clip again I kind of feel cheated. I hadn't really followed the media circus surrounding the LA finger pointing but it kind of ruins the rest of the film? Anyone?

Maybe they can add in a scene where LaFleur goes back to his hotel room and hooks himself up to a blood bag before showing up at the match image

• Starve him of media oxygen ignore him and hopefully he will go back under the stone he has recently crawled out from under.

HE IS A DRUG TAKING CHEAT who won't fully  admit his guilt as he will go to jail for perjury. The US media are saying he can still face charges despite his evidence being in 2005. He has made millions and I hope he loses it all and the civil claims will hopefully take care of this but his solicitors are working on a settlement deal so expect to see a lot more of this low life.

• Slowfoot Going Goofy wrote (see)

Starve him of media oxygen ignore him and hopefully he will go back under the stone he has recently crawled out from under.

HE IS A DRUG TAKING CHEAT who won't fully  admit his guilt as he will go to jail for perjury. The US media are saying he can still face charges despite his evidence being in 2005. He has made millions and I hope he loses it all and the civil claims will hopefully take care of this but his solicitors are working on a settlement deal so expect to see a lot more of this low life.

so - let me just check - you're not a fan of LA??  image

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

I wonder what percentage of cyclists were using drugs in that era? 

I still feel a great degree of sadness on this issue. LA was still a great athlete, and if everyone was on the same thing , is that not a sort of level playing field? I'm not condoning it at all.. and feel a bit robbed of a hero, to a degree, but I haven't heard his side of things, only what USADA has said. 

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

and before everyone jumps on my head... yes I do understand what he did was not only wrong, it appears that he pressurised / bullied others into doing it on his behalf... like I say, very sad beacuse I hoped it was a lie, but there we go..

• You can't really call it a level playing field just because the top x% were doping.  There will have been countless athletes who got nowhere despite dedication and talent because they chose not to break the law or compromise their morals.

• Everyone taking drugs/doing transfusions isn't a level playing field because there are still too many variables involved.

You aren't looking at the best athlete but the athlete with the best performance +  the best cheat team + the best physiological response to certain drugs or illegal procedures (e.g. transfusions).

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Its a bit like discovering that the moon landings were faked.

Such a good story. Such entertainment. Such drama. 

To nick a line,

Lance Armstrong, sometimes a maverick, often an enigma, always a c..t!

🙂

• LouiseG wrote (see)

the dude abides wrote (see)
    i think deep down he doesn't think there's anything wrong in what he did (armstrong, not saville). maybe that's true. maybe not. i don't know. but it shows a remarkable depth of confidence/arrogance and mental strength/narcissism.

I agree - narcissistic and sociopathic, possibly

Human minds a strange thing if you tell yourself this is ok or this is how it happened enough times you believe it. image

• Cake wrote (see)

Human minds a strange thing if you tell yourself this is ok or this is how it happened enough times you believe it. image

There's this to bear that out

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2013-01-14/lance-armstrong-doping-denials-oprah-winfrey-interview-confession-video?fb_comment_id=fbc_529192660447288_80875995_529819340384620#f1a103c6c9673b9

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just had a thought. 

If you take every denial, lie, incident of bullying, trashing of journalists or discrediting of other people by Armstrong.

How big a number would that be?

🙂

• FB

I was a fan of his and believed in the Livestrong principals.

Sadly the Livestrong comapny is already paying for his sins with at least one football stadium being renamed as the football team concerned didn't want the negative publicity concerning LA.  How many people will now turned their backs on the positive work done in the name of Livestrong.

Currently in the US and looking forward to watching the interview but the news channels are already saying he is saying I wasn't the only one and it wasn't my fault !!!

• Seems like an awful lot of hate for one guy. At that sort of brand Armstrong level decisions, consequences, ramifications etc are probably never about the purity of the sport but about the needs of feeding the corporate machine. The good that will come of this is he probably marks the last big drug cheat (??) and maybe cycling can move forward. But in a few years when the dust settles hopefully we can look at it with some perspective and see what can be gained from it. To be honest, I am more ashamed that dwayne chambers got to represent UK at the olympics. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Livestrong by the sword, diestrong by the sword.

🙂

• news report this morning said the olympic committee are discussing removing road cycling from the games as a result of this, probably pressbollocks but i hope there is no truth in it

• How can people truely trust him if he continues to dance around not actually saying he cheated?  .......and he wants to get seriously into triathlon-ing!  

To lose the trust of everyone is the saddest thing of all. 

• Marc.S wrote (see)

news report this morning said the olympic committee are discussing removing road cycling from the games as a result of this, probably pressbollocks but i hope there is no truth in it

That was Tuesday, By yesterday the IOC had already dismissed the idea

• GTC wrote (see)

To be honest, I am more ashamed that dwayne chambers got to represent UK at the olympics. 

A fair point, but as far as I know Dwaine Chambers never threatened, bullied or coerced anyone into hiding his doping, nor did he make money by suing those who published stories about his drug taking.  What Armstrong did to the Andreus, Walsh, Kimmage and many others is what sets him apart for me.

• Marc.S wrote (see)

news report this morning said the olympic committee are discussing removing road cycling from the games as a result of this, probably pressbollocks but i hope there is no truth in it

you also have to factor into that, that the winner of the men's road race in London - Alexander Vinoukorov - had come back from a blood doping ban.  so a cheat wins Olympic gold.  that never sits nicely with the squeeky clean look the IOC likes to convey.   and Vino is still under UCI investigation for taking money to help another ride win a major race.   

• Thoroughly agree. I am appalled and saddened by the whole sorry story. Bad enough he was doped up to the eyeballs but to bully others into joining in or leaving the sport is unforgiveable. How many careers did this excuse for a man ruin?

That was in response to Dave's post - FB got in while I was still typing.

• JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    GTC wrote (see)

To be honest, I am more ashamed that dwayne chambers got to represent UK at the olympics. 

A fair point, but as far as I know Dwaine Chambers never threatened, bullied or coerced anyone into hiding his doping, nor did he make money by suing those who published stories about his drug taking.  What Armstrong did to the Andreus, Walsh, Kimmage and many others is what sets him apart for me.

My main problem with Dwaine Chambers is that he got so far on his own merits and then decided to take drugs. This action deprived other athletes, who were at the same level as a pre-drugs Chambers, of the chance to the funding and opportunities that Chambers received as a result of his cheating. Not only did he cheat the public and himself but he also cheated his fellow athletes out of medals and the trappings that winning brings and then we see a "clean" Chambers at the British Olympics and a massive part of him getting there was down to the gains he received because of his drug use.