Reading Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• Haha, well many many people get beaten by Bananas ;-p I remember Birmingham a couple of years ago, there was a Banana that kept up with Gemma Steel, the ladies winner for most of the race...Not sure if the banana beat her or not in the end, but he was alongside her going the other way past us when they were around the 1/2 way mark.

However getting beat by Fireman Sam, well thats a whole new ball game....Its amazing how many people try to sprint past me in the last 100m when im in costume, just so they dont get beat by the Wabbit....Honestly this Wabbit doesnt careimage Looking forward to an amazing reception when Bugs comes into the stadium if the reception at previous races is anything to go byimage
  • At last year's event, a friend who finished around 1h 20 (yes 1h 20!!) had a sprint finish with a banana!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

If you do want to prepare yourself ahead of time, just remember there is a bit of a loop near the end before you enter the stadium, so when you first see the stadium, you might think you are near the end, but to pad out the distance there is a funny little bit you have to do first, so prepare yourself for when you see the Stadium on your way back, that thats not quite the end you think it is. Better to know now that you arent going to waltz straight into the stadium than getting to the 11 mile mark, seeing the stadium thinking 'Its nearly over..' then find out its not a straight run in.

I get what you're saying to some extent, but why would you think you're near the end when you know you're at the 11mile marker!? image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It is a pain to have to do that little loop, but the stadium finish certainly makes up for it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

They do have some steel drums under some random underpass along from the Uni.

It's quite overwhelming, as is the support in 2 or 3 places.

I actually preferred the peaceful stretches!

• I love the drummer band under the flyover near the Oracle - I'm sure it's the same band they use on the Halloween Nite 5k - sounds brilliant....image

• As Stevie said the support can get a little overwhelming.  Around mile 8/9 up near the park the spectators tend to come onto the road a bit.  Gets a little narrow along there 

• I'm in, my first half and looking forward to it. Clocked a 1h 39m in training last week so fingers crossed for a good time on the day.

• I started running last May (2012) and couldn't run to the top of my road the first time out!!! Stuck at it and I am now 2 stone lighter and 100% happier & healthier image

• I'm going but only to cheer on the runners. image

• Of course, but I have Hastings the week after to keep me quiet (ish) and it's paddy's day so I can drink and cheer if need be image image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Are there any hills?
  • I'm in. First timer and newbie runner that couldn't wait for next year (and Reading is my hometown/football club so it really has to be my first half) Took a charity place this week so I haven't followed a structured training plan.

I have been running longer at weekends this year - built up to 11.5 miles in a shade under two hours last Friday evening but no hills or speedwork. Not bothered about my time - just want to be on my feet coming into the Madejski.

Would appreciate tips on how to approach the next few days - thinking parkrun tomorrow and 10k Sunday with a slow 5k Tuesday and a short jog Thursday. That sound fair?

• Seedee - I think your plan looks pretty reasonable. You could probably even sack off the jog on Thursday and rest up before the big day. The most important thing now is to get to the start line feeling fresh and ready to go.

The biggest tip I could give is to run your own race at your own pace. Dont get carried away at the start of the race and blast out of the blocks like a whippet. Its too easy to run at the pace of the people around you rather than the pace youre comfortable with. Most of us have made that mistake at some point in the past. Get your pace right and you'll have a little bit left in the tank for the last mile, and you'll enjoy the finish in the stadium. Get the pace wrong and that last mile will hurt like a muthaf*cka!

• I'm Back for my 5th Reading but running dressed as a Leprechaun this year as its on St Patrick's day I got my half marathon PB at Reading last year coming in at 1.37. Don't think i will be anywhere near that this year as in training i have been roasting in my costume? Does any one know the name of the pub about 8 miles in its the one that has glasses of beer outside as we come out of the town centre.

• used to be the Nags Head Rob...probably still is but I don't live in Reading.  Its the pub at the bottom of the hill?

• Bottom of Russell Street hill - the pub is still there and I assume will be giving out beer. The hill is just under 500 paces to the top so for some the beer is a necessary evil! 

BTW If anyone want to join me I am running the 1:55 pace group so look forward to seeing you next Sunday.

• Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭
    stupid question, but I noticed that my race number is different to the number on the radio tag on the back.

They are however very similar, 4126 vs 4926 :-/

Is this an issue?
  • Cheers Gazza. Did eight miles in the end yesterday - will go out tomorrow and then nothing more strenuous than walking the dog.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Im starting to detect a theme here ....... cmon Khanivore, suck it up and do a hill once in a while ...... not everything is about a PB image

Haha what can I say, I love pancakes! I did the croydon 10k last year thinking there are no hills in London and so it must be flat. Scarred for life! image It's hilly!!!

I will do hills after the London Marathon is out of the way. I assume then that Reading is flat? image 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Reading is known for it's mountains. Don't forget you oxygen tank.