The 2013 Pirate Kit Order Thread (Take 2)

Comments

• Incey Wincey would be a good name Charlotte  image

• I think Incey Wincey it is then image 

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

And a nice cartoon spider for an avatar. 

• Job done and not an inuendo in sight

*take note boys  image

• Boring...call yourself the Black widow and have an evil looking spider avatar

• Stupid question - do ladies wear the men's monaco? 

I'm a tall female (5ft 11) and I've got the girl's tank which is great for shorter tris but I need something longer on my back to prevent sun burn/cold/getting told off by the BTF for flashing. 

Just wondered if other ladies found the fit ok?

• Most def Medic, I prefer them, they are just like a vest with a zip and usuallya bit longer in the body than the tank

• .. just drop down a size for the mens fitting

• Schmunks - 

Can you change my order to a monaco and arm warmers? I've got a second hand tank so no longer need one. 

Thank youuuu x

• Schmunks,

can you put me down for a Bike Jacket, a cycle top and tri shorts. Saw the jackets at the DIY HIM and they looked fantastic.

MrMonic

• Sorry, forgot to say thanks 

•  

Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Without intending ro open a can of worms and playing devil's advocate here, I have had two people approach me privately regarding running tops as they have seen the Cofides (?) ones.

Does having a running top in our wardrobe really detract from what the Pirates are?

If 16 people put their name down for a running top, can we declare that they cannot have them?

I have seen people wearing monacos at maras and half-maras.  Does that mean that they cannot do it in a running top?  What is the difference? Why is wearing a Monaco to run a mara different to wearing a running top?

Pudge wrote (see)

FWIW, I would wear a running top.

There is a cycling specific top, so it would be good to have a running specific top too.

Jus' my two penneth.

I'll throw the question back, why do you want running tops?  If its to be recognised as a pirate at running events, to enjoy the support and recognition you get as a pirate at races?  If yes then there is already said people wear monoco's at marathons / half marathons but it tends to be at bigger races.

Pirates are usually well received and supported at events and it isnt because we're fast runners or turn up at lots of running events.  Its becasue we've a niche and a recognisable presence at Ironman events and are hugely supportive to other triathletes.  Id like to think the way we're viewed is a result of many of us travelling far and wide to events all over the world (and UK), often with as many supporters as those competing, as well as supporting at other events, running feedstations etc

I worry that a prolifaration into running kit and especially if it became common place at running events would water down what the pirates are about, and make us just another club, for that reason im strongly against the running kit and what it could represent.  Ive no issue with people running in pirate tri kit but that limit helps to keep it low key and that the overall focus is Ironman and triathlon.

Its really a privilage to race as a pirate and its not unsual to see the some jelousy on the faces of other competitors, some have even said wearing pirate kit is cheating.

Ive nothing against runners but whats worked so far has worked well, I cant tell you how many athletes, other clubs, supporters etc cheared the pirates on at Lanza last month but it was an amazing feeling and helped get me to the finish.  I think if we lose our niche we'll risk losing what makes us special.

• I wore a Pirate buff as a headband at a running race last weekend, it was enough to get a few shout outs and later some tri guys came up and asked if I was a Pirate... awesome! I ran in a Monaco for my HIM recently. Worked for me.

Pirates are special, there is no doubt, it's a privilege to be wearing the kit. It even got a mention as I came over the finish at Mallorca 70.3..........

• Hi - can you please put me down for a pair of tri shorts medium?

Alternatively do I have to open the spreadsheet and do it myself? Sory for the numpty question you would have thought I would have known by now......

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Pudge wrote (see)

FWIW, I would wear a running top.

There is a cycling specific top, so it would be good to have a running specific top too.

Jus' my two penneth.

I'll throw the question back, why do you want running tops?   

Personally, I would prefer to wear a proper running top for the run stage, assuming it is possible to change tops in T2. 

I'm a runner/cyclist newly coming into triathlon, and I have always preferred to wear a technical t-shirt, as opposed to a vest, when running.  I might be being naive, but I would hope to be able to do the same when doing a tri (though I accept this is probably not the norm).  I don't mind wearing the tri suit for the bike stage, as it's closer to what I would normally wear when cycling, just not the run.

Maybe I'll eventually come around to the idea of wearing the tri suit for the whole event, but for now I just want to stick with wearing what I'm comfortable with, so that I can focus on getting better at each discipline.

• Charlotte Webb 2 wrote (see)

Hi everyone started triathlon two 1/2 years ago after learning to swim competed in a few sprints and Olympic then thought I would give Wimbelball 70.3 ago loved it so went for the full at Bolton last year. 

This year I have entered  Nice and Wales Ironman and a 70.3 , so busy year I find myself suited for the long distance as it takes me that long to warm up. My son laughed he said that in your 40's you normally start knitting so he thinks I have lost the plot. 

Sorry to take this thread off at a tangent, but....

Charlotte - 2 IMs in a year...Any regrets about taking this on?  The reason I ask is that it was always my intention to enter IMUK next year, because it is right on my doorstep (assuming it is still in Bolton next year).  However, I have now entered IM Lanza for May 2014, and am wondering whether it is feasible to do this (bearing in mind its my first), and still enter IMUK the following August, i.e. 3 months later?

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Pudge - if you do the run in a run top, you've got no pocket for anything you want on the run course? 

• If I'm in a running race, then I would wear my club vest, not pirate kit, but I would rather have a running vest for the run leg of a triathlon so that I don't have to keep pulling it down - the monaco tends to rise up over my hips. I guess its at least a distraction from the pain of running image

• Pudge, I would say it is feasible but will depend on how well you recover, I have done 2 and 3 Ironman events in a year and even on back to back weekends.  When you meet me youll realise im no super fit athlete either.

You need to think about your priorities though, which is your A race and treat the other like a nice to have, thats a risk in the first year as you dont know how youll recover and Lanzarote in particular will leave you with underlying fatigue for many weeks and thus impact further training.  What youll have to rely on is your base fitness carrying you through and getting you around IMUK.  I think the gap will be enough to allow you to recover enough.  I did 2 Ironman races in my first year and managed to complete the 2nd.

One other issue is motivation, you may find that having focussed on Lanza that its difficult to summon the motivation to get back to training and be focussed on IMUK.  IM is as much a mental challenge as physical and your heads got to be in the right place.

• + 1 for what Barley said on running tops!

Pudge - I doubt you'll want to do Lanza run in a tshirt - tooooooo dam hot!! Plus lots of extra potential chaffing! If you're not use to running in a tri top/monaco, why not buy a cheap one now and get use to it - would be a lot cheaper, and more comfortable, than getting a Pirate Tshirt - plus as Mouse said, they have a pocket for beers!! image

• Hi yes I would say it is feasible as I did Wimbelball 70.3 then Bolton month and a half after and I actually  felt better on the Bolton. The hardest part is the training to get to the level and a good base of fitness. Also how quick you recover and what shape you finish the race in . I have a 70.3 just 3. Weeks after Nice but will just use it as a training session with no pressure. Mind over matter and the mind don't matterimage 

• Please direct all future kit enquiries to Barlos.  Thanks

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Pudge - if you do the run in a run top, you've got no pocket for anything you want on the run course? 

Like I said, I'm a naive newbie - didn't think of that!  Everything I've done thus far, I've relied on either what's provided on the course, or I've carried it on a race belt/hydration vest.  Probably not going to be possible to do that in an IM.  I have a lot to learn see. image

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Pudge, I would say it is feasible but will depend on how well you recover, I have done 2 and 3 Ironman events in a year and even on back to back weekends.  When you meet me youll realise im no super fit athlete either.

You need to think about your priorities though, which is your A race and treat the other like a nice to have, thats a risk in the first year as you dont know how youll recover and Lanzarote in particular will leave you with underlying fatigue for many weeks and thus impact further training.  What youll have to rely on is your base fitness carrying you through and getting you around IMUK.  I think the gap will be enough to allow you to recover enough.  I did 2 Ironman races in my first year and managed to complete the 2nd.

One other issue is motivation, you may find that having focussed on Lanza that its difficult to summon the motivation to get back to training and be focussed on IMUK.  IM is as much a mental challenge as physical and your heads got to be in the right place.

Thanks for that Barley.

I take on board what you're saying about motivation, and I don't underestimate how much Lanza is going to drain me.  To be honest, that's kinda one of the reasons for doing it.  I like the idea of putting myself in for something that I have a realistic chance of NOT completing, and where I'm going to need to rely on mental strength, as much as all the training beforehand, to get me through.

So, what you're saying if I've got this right, is that the distance between the two events is plenty, and it's down to whether I'm up to putting the effort in.  Sounds fair enough.

p.s. back to back weekends - wtf?!!!

Rafiki wrote (see)

+ 1 for what Barley said on running tops!

Pudge - I doubt you'll want to do Lanza run in a tshirt - tooooooo dam hot!! Plus lots of extra potential chaffing! If you're not use to running in a tri top/monaco, why not buy a cheap one now and get use to it - would be a lot cheaper, and more comfortable, than getting a Pirate Tshirt - plus as Mouse said, they have a pocket for beers!! image

Thanks Raf.  Good point re the temperature!  I suppose my vision is clouded by the fact that it was pissing with rain when I watched the pirates in Lanza last month on the t'internet - still doesn't mean it won't be hot though I guess.

I do already have my PSOF tri suit, but it's currently on a hanger in my wardrobe (avec lebels) where it has been since it was delivered!  Nowt stopping me from getting out and getting used to it (other than the fact that I want to save it 'for best'!!)

• Charlotte Webb 2 wrote (see)

Hi yes I would say it is feasible as I did Wimbelball 70.3 then Bolton month and a half after and I actually  felt better on the Bolton. The hardest part is the training to get to the level and a good base of fitness. Also how quick you recover and what shape you finish the race in . I have a 70.3 just 3. Weeks after Nice but will just use it as a training session with no pressure. Mind over matter and the mind don't matterimage 

Thanks Charlotte - good to hear.

Loving the inspirational quote too! image

Incidentally, when does the selection/pairing process for IM Mentor/Mentee begin?!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

It only rained for the swim, Pudge, I think the sun came out about 10-11ish (actually I don't have a clue because I lost track of time) and I think the rain was unusual.  It was really rather warm, I promise you!  (I still have the tan/burn lines).

I'd say this, for long distance tri, you have the right idea in as much as you want to be comfortable but you also have to balance this with the requirements of what you are doing.  So, the optimum is to do the race in once strip (be it a tri suit or a top and shorts.)  This necessitates something tight enough to go under a wetsuit, and which will dry out quickly on the bike, and which will mean that you can carry any 'stuff' you need in your pocket.  However, at IM distances many athletes haven't yet found shorts which are comfortable so will change their bottom half at the bike stage and again at the run stage.  Some people wear tri shorts throughout and then just stick bike shorts over the top and strip them off again after the bike. Some people put a bike jersey on over their tri top because they are cold, or they want more pockets for food.  It is less common that people take the wet top off and put a new top on because it takes too much time, equally it's less common for people to change after the bike to a different top for the run, but when people do, they do tend to go for a tri top.  I'm not sure why, I'd still say it's for the pocket.  You have to do what you think you will be comfortable.  However, do bear in mind that all of these costume changes take time, so if you can do it with minimal faff time, you will be all the better for it.

This year I finally found some tri shorts I like, so for the first time ever, all I changed was my socks in T2.

Oh, and, ironically, the one type of kit I would caution against for newbies over long distance might be the tri suit because if you have gastric issues you've got to get the damn thing off every time you go to the loo. image

But again, it's horses for courses and, in all honesty, I really have no opinion regarding pirate run tops, I just wanted to give you a tri based perspective.

(And, of course, a pocket for Raf's beer.)

Schmunkee - are you ok lovely lady?

• Mouse - thank you for taking the time to explain that.  Most helpful indeed. image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Regards mentoring, there is no official process.  There's often a thread that goes up between season but there's no 'rule' that you have to wait until then.  You could start identifying pirates whom you get on with, find their posts interesting or useful and that you think you would get on well with, even better if you can meet them in person.  Then just ask someone when it suits you.

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Regards mentoring, there is no official process.  There's often a thread that goes up between season but there's no 'rule' that you have to wait until then.  You could start identifying pirates whom you get on with, find their posts interesting or useful and that you think you would get on well with, even better if you can meet them in person.  Then just ask someone when it suits you.

Shame, I though it would be like Britain's Got Talent...

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Hmmm, what I want to know is, are you the one on stage parading your talents to the mentors who select who they are going to work with, or, do you want the mentors to showcase their talents to you...?