Pirate outings in 2014

Comments

• A UK and an abroad option would be nice, its always gonna be a problem especially as the PSOF grows and grows to please everyone. I only suggested Almere as it floats my boat and probable price and time off work slots, however as a relative Pirate newbie there are definately a hard core bunch that make the trip abroad every year and so probably should have more of a say where the ship sails to, if its within my price range and i fancy it great, if not cest la vie i will do Almere or the UK option or both.

I dont even think we should be thinking about picking. "beginner freindly" events i think it may just give the wrongimpression that its gonna be a breeze which as mentioned before none of em are easy. Also picking an "easy" event may result in an uninspiring race choice i.e Henley something about it just doesnt do it for me and with the lukewarm response compared to Outlaw i may not be alone in this
  • This year there is Lanza, Wales, Henley and Outlaw.

We should stick to the old ethos and pick a race as psof champs and be damned. We're never going to please everyone. Shall we have every race as a PSOF champs, have another 50 winners trophes made so everyone gets one!
  • I thought you were hanging on for SAGA Man image

• If you want beginner friendly do a sprint! An IM is a tough race that requires commitment and dedication, financially and training! No matter which long distance race you choose it will be expensive and tough!

htfu. It's not a knitting club after all

????
  • Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    This year there is Lanza, Wales, Henley and Outlaw.

We should stick to the old ethos and pick a race as psof champs and be damned. We're never going to please everyone. Shall we have every race as a PSOF champs, have another 50 winners trophes made so everyone gets one!

Yes !!    image
    Then I can pick a race all on my own and win everything   image

• Yep one championship if you can go and you can afford it off you toddle if you cant do other races and wait till the champoionship comes back to the UK for a year

So whats on for next year somebody make a decision FFS we have only got around 12 months till entries open! image
  • I think SAGAMAN should be UK based as us older folks bladders don't like long haul flights
  • Indeed Max ... start putting the pennies in the piggy bank and see where you are in 12 months time
    If my 'oss stops spending all mywages i'll be ok ... cant even sell him for burgers  image

• KK i think it will deffo thrive and grow there are loads of people dropped off the forum since i started posting on here a couple of years ago and plenty more have taken their place

Personally i love the pirates cos wherever i go to race now theres usually at least a couple of yeller and black loons to chat with, wether i will still be posting on here in a few years remains to br seen, even now i dont post half as often as i used to
  • Cant see what the fuss is had dobbin steak in France and very nice it was too
  • No fuss at all I shouldn't think ... as long as the truth is on the label

(and yes I am talking about 'oss meat)

• I am probably to thick skinned to know if i am being ostracised image
  • Cant see what the fuss is had dobbin steak in France and very nice it was too
  • Its an echo echo echo
  • You are soooooo not wrong there Max .....

Anyhow, we still have a few months to actually work out where to go   image

• How about a list of possibles, like on the kit list thread, and whichever gets the most wanting to is the championship race, and the 'also rans' remain as other events that will enjoy a pirate presence for whoever wants to do it?

Personally I'd vote for Challenge Copenhagen, because it fits work-wise, and I quite fancy, but that's assuming Outlaw doesn't put me off image image

Challenge Copenhagen

Britrisky

• Im not sure what the discussion is all about. doesn't meldy just decide??
  • Maybe a tad unfriendly for newbies there Foggy but then is it all about being newbie friendly, that sounds callous I guess, sorry. But the reality is that the very large majority of the people who will sign up are experienced in IM 'racing'.

I agree that it would be good to go somewhere new but there are definitely issues with the practicaility of getting to Sweden and to a lesser extent the so called Barcelona event so does that mean Almere? or Wales? being selfish I/we kinda like the going abroad part of the Pirate events and Wales might pop up on the radar this year as we've got a stupidly early non championship event!

So in summary, fuck knows image

• I'm not sure about friendliness or unfriendliness to newbies but some more thoughts on the cost issue.

Some feedback that I've received through pirates and non-pirate triathletes is that it's not that much cheaper in the UK than abroad.  Some hotels in the UK are much more expensive than some abroad.  Although there are no flights involved, the price differentials may not be all that you think they are.

The other feedback I received is that people want to do the IM abroad and they are prepared to save the money to go there.  The reasons for this are several but they include a higher likelihood of good weather (whereas the weather here is much more likely to be crappy) and also that this is their holiday, they won't have two weeks Turkey, so they want to go somewhere a bit warmer to experience somewhere different, this is the only holiday they will get. Finally, triathlon is expensive and most of the people who do it (especially long distance) know that, and they are prepared to pay those costs.  Some are prepared to race less frequently in order to get the location.

I'm not entirely convinced that price/locality are the big issue that others may think they are.

• And also, if you don't like it, don't go!  We've had pirate splinter groups in previous years, and it didn't seem to be an issue then.

• What her said really

• M..o.use wrote (see)

And also, if you don't like it, don't go!  We've had pirate splinter groups in previous years, and it didn't seem to be an issue then.

Spliter!!

• Doozer. wrote (see)
    If you want beginner friendly do a sprint! An IM is a tough race that requires commitment and dedication, financially and training! No matter which long distance race you choose it will be expensive and tough!

htfu. It's not a knitting club after all

????

I disagree.

The one thing that inspired me about the Pirates was reading the stories of those who had no background in sport who went from zero to IM in 9 months. I was particularly inspired by those who were slow, those pirates for whom the cut off was always going to being an issue. Those were the people who inspired me to do my first IM. And guess what? I don't think doing an IM is that hard. If you've got the time and determination then its within the capability of lots of people.

However, IMWales and Lanza are hard and for those who are slow and beginners then it will be diffcult for for them to make the cut offs.

I am not saying that we shound  always have beginner friendly races as the PSOF champs  but it is a factor we should take into account. 

• Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)
    M..o.use wrote (see)

And also, if you don't like it, don't go!  We've had pirate splinter groups in previous years, and it didn't seem to be an issue then.

Spliter!!

Are you the Judean People's front?

Challenge Barcelona is in Calella, which is closer to Girona airport. Calella is a nice part of the world.

Aywhere the pirates are en-masse is Noob friendly.

• F*cking Judean People's Front?? F*ck Off! We're the People's Front of Judea!! .....