Pirate outings in 2014

Comments

• I would certainly prefer an overseas event and would be happy to go along with any foreign destination that ship sails to.

For me, I like the fact that 30 weeks of training will culminate in a 'big' week away somewhere new, not just a trip  up the M6, or down the M4! (although I appreciate I have fewer restrictions than some).

• Re henley...

I am broken now and want to see if i can survive the run at lanza before signing up for henley.

If i can i may well sign up for henley as an end of season blow out..... Unless i get pursuaded to do mexico in nov/dec 2013....

If i can race then i fancy nice or maybe embrun man as something bonkers to do.....
  • Good point Barley if somebody is pushing a destination if its picked do the feckin thing image i am still looking at Almere but if there is a large gathering at Wales l would torture myself again on that course it was great

Deffo up for Austria started saving already image
  • Well said Barlos

We can just rabbit away until May time then  image

• Hmmm, yes! When I thought Lanza might clash with something I wanted to do, I was told in no uncertain terms that He was going to Lanza as He had started the thread and He had persuaded others to go to. This was before entries even opened image

I do agree that Henley has turned into a bit of a non-starter as far as it being the Champs is concerned.
  • Personally, I think you should just call Lanza the Champs. There are enough of You going, and enough "regulars" who will do next years as well as a handful of newbies.
  • or wales as the champs if you are not going next year...................but i think barley said before it would be uunfair to change henley if case anyone had signed up for it specifically as it was the championship race

• Obviously I agree with Flyers but I also agree with Seren

I like my fence   image

• You know there is a core of yearly regulars doing Lanza though. The later races are a bit uncertain still. I'm not being anti-newbie, but I think the championship should have a decent proportion of old-timers who still race at it. You run the risk of Henley being a flop and wishing you'd had it at Lanza. If Henley is great, have another.

I'm not doing either, so I am unbias.
  • out of interest..will there be anyone at henley to actually sort out and arrange the awards ceremony,,,,,

• I'm sure there will be someone who can organise something, if the people racing and supporting want to hang around. But you can't know till the time. Those of You going to Lanza will all still be there on Monday, you'll have the holiday/party feeling, it should totally be the championships. Enough of the people there raced Outlaw last year and are planning to do whichever is the champs next web and that's what its about, IMO.

Anyway, that's my case made. I'll be quiet now, as I'm still not going!
  • When we did Germany the year that everyone else did Roth, there were about 20 of us and we did awards anyway. Granted they weren't the official ones but they were still really good fun.

I won fastest female as I was the only woman there. It was a close run thing up against Wickett mind you.
  • Sorry about the typos, I'm on my phone...
  • People will make something out of whichever event they are doing if they want to. There is nothing to stop people having 'unofficial' Champs for their event.

For 2014, As the Pirates are so large, there are so many events, and each individual has their own reasons for doing a race, I think that a handful of the old regulars should be the ones to decide on which is the Champ race. After all, there is a greater likelihood of them being there if they are the ones that have chosen it.

If people don't like the race that has been chosen as the Champs, tough. Go and do a race that suits you.

I know that may sound harsh but you are not going to please everyone and someone needs to make a firm decision at some point
  • I am more than happy to make a firm decision   image

Its fun to talk them all over regardless and I think there are the same names talking it over, very few of the first timers I would guess would stick their noses over the battlements prior to doing the first IM let alone next years

Barlos is quite right with regards to previous years being easier to decide when we had not done all the European ones and there was a logical step to the decision

We dont have a 'commitee' or a panel as such but it does still take someone to say, 'this is it, this is where we are going'   image

• Oh do Wales then. Humph. I'll get a sabbatical ONE day. image
  • but from what FB was saying, you dont know there is going to be an IMW in 2014... they wont confirm till after this year's race anyway, which is too late for some earlier season ones that will have filled up...

sorry to make things more confusing!!!

• Isn't it about time you were under the knife or something ? 

• not till this afternoon, i'm afraid!

• flyaway wrote (see)
    I'm sure there will be someone who can organise something, if the people racing and supporting want to hang around. But you can't know till the time. Those of You going to Lanza will all still be there on Monday, you'll have the holiday/party feeling, it should totally be the championships. Enough of the people there raced Outlaw last year and are planning to do whichever is the champs next web and that's what its about, IMO.
    Anyway, that's my case made. I'll be quiet now, as I'm still not going!

I like spidersimage

• M...eldy wrote (see)
    Barlos is quite right with regards to previous years being easier to decide when we had not done all the European ones and there was a logical step to the decision

*Cough* Swedenimage

• Lol!!!    I knew that would come !

• we have reached the inevitable result of a big group of unorganised people designing a horse - we have a camel

basically whatever is decided on isn't going to please everyone - that's a given.  so what you need to do - in my humble opinion - is to put together a list of say 5 (max) events for 2014 and 2015 and have a vote and go on the majority decision.  yes, I know that's very evolutionary but ffs, it will at least give an answer! 

the choice of the events should come from the senior members of das Piraten who perhaps have a better insight into the events, logistics, costs, suitability for newbies etc.

thoughts??

and let me throw one other idea into the mix - do a long distance event NOT associated with WTC or Challenge - there are enough about these days not just in the UK but in Europe as well.  and many of them are good - e.g Outlaw.  and don't forget that IM Sweden and Challenge Almere were existing recognised LD events that got taken over by the big corps

some of us are doing Ch'triman in late August - it's between Dover and Dunkirk so easy to get to - and has sprint, middle and long distance races (over 2 days) so something for everyone.   (we're doing the middle).   same goes for Ironbask down in St Jean de Luz near Biarritz which has a sprint, standard, middle, long and a paratriathlon on the same day.  in fact France has many events around the country like this and they are low key, easy to get into and shall we say, cheap!   

in my view - one of those should get the vote but that's me.  I like doing something different

• FB I hear what you are saying, I think tho that the general consensus has been that an branded long distance has more of the appeal to a newbie than a non branded, that said the same appeal is there where the masses go also ..

Did we not have a voting panel one year before?  I am not sure tho if that is open to abuse these days by a few who would get pleasure out of that

Personally, I'd like somewhere reasonable cost wise, a bit of sun is a bonus and with a good crowd of people, if I cant find the latter i'll go with the PSOF   image

• I agree that a branded event has appeal for the newbies who want to pop their IM cherry but it doesn't have to be a given.  quite a few pirates did events like the Big Woody before moving onto IM branded.

as I said, just throwing it into the mix

anyway I've retired don't you know image

• Will there be that many people wanting to go long next year or will everyone be saving up for Austria?

• You and Will have retired more times than i've had hot dinners

yes SA .. they will  image