Sunday 3rd February 2012

Morning.

Lyrics - more productive, comfortable, not drinking too much

Glad you had a good experience M. You still ride then?

What:           LSR
Why:            what else would you do on a Sunday?
Last hard:    last year
Last rest:     25/1

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Thats my first bike ride on my race bike in 4 years or so.  We've got a beach house about an hour up the coast so I've taken the bike up there on the basis that I might be less scared of the traffic (nasty crash in 2008).

what: 17k slow on the beach
    why: because its bloody hot 

• Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were "Ballroom Blitz", The Sweet. Hope the ball was good Wabo! And the race.

What: something later
    Why: icy rain at present.

Well done RFJ jnr!

Beach house sounds good, M. Not sure about sprinting though! Far too dangerous!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Lyrics - YES!  Great choice.

Will do a 10 miler later on - couldnt get out of bed this morning and I have my enforced appearance at church to attend, so no time at the mo! image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Thanks M for reminding us about the weather...but well done with the short stuff yesterday
    lyric -  can't place at the moment, but they are certainly not describing me...
    LmH - didnt you know saturday is the new sunday for LSRs..??
    RFJ - good luck on the island today
    what - hour easy offroad
    why - recovery after LSR yesterday, plus have hour or so to kill (hockey match this time)
    last rest - a week ago
    last hard - yesterday

enjoy the rest of the weekend.. 

• Good morning, gang. Excellent stuf RFJ Jr, and good long runs LMH, M and Dustin.

17 miles for me. Didn't mean to go that far but it was quite peaceful out. Managed to take a few seconds off my 5k yesterday, down to 19.13 on a very flat and fast course. Winner got 14.45 or something insane like that.

• Well done 7d.

Now you're really teasing with a beach house M image

20 miles for me, weather was the best it has been for a while though a tad windy in places. Managed to fall over just before 4 miles but fortunately took most of the impact of colliding with an immovable barrier on my shoulder and just a glancing blow to the knee. Sat on the floor for a few minutes trying to decide how much it really hurt before deciding that I didn't really need my shoulder to run. I think swimming will be out of the question for a few days though as my range of movement is quite restricted and I have some impressive bruising and scraping.

• Ooh, misread your earlier post, assumed you gone. Hope it's nothing too bad LMH! There were some ice patches out earlier which nearly made me come a cropper.

• Well, the wind seemed to really pick up this morning so by the time I got out at noon, it was pretty breezy, so much so that my 10 miler was a run of two halves!  37:30 out and 30:00 back.  Felt a bit tired today, been on antibiotics all week, thats them finished now though, thankfully.

LMH - hope you are okay after that fall.

sevendaughters, well done on the 5K, good time that.

• Dithering - some nasty but short-lived squalls coming though with gusts up to 60kts :-/
  • Well, that's a big "bother" for not recognising yesterday's lyrics.

M: I am beginning to get a tad jealous. Please tell me that winters are damp, drizzly, windy and never ending.
    LMH: I hope that the bruising is not too bad. Well done on knocking out the 20 miler though.
    7D, ditto for you on the 17.
    Donaldo: you too for the 10.
    After that it comes down to us few who are making up the numbers.
    Alehouse obviously doesn't count as he's got an excuse.

For me: No signs of damage from yesterday's mega endurance mashing, apart form tired legs. Swimble later with club.

• Yep, well done LM.H, &D and donaldo

Just 3miles round Scapa for me between the squallsimage

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

alehouse all was good! race 39.48 for 4.88 miles, very happy about that. the ball, actually it was a night at the oscars theme red carpet and all!

blisters I would like to think I would have got the lyrics..

wow donaldo that was some negative split!

ouch lmh, thats horrible when you are on a long run eh?  Hope you are ok

7d, another impressive long run, well done!

dustin sounds like you have had  good lsr too

M beach house sounds lovely

what: well after working most of the day on finishing my bathroom I am going to go for a 3 mile plod soon and then steam sauna and shower at gym

enjoy the rest of the day, oh and spurs won! all in all good weekend...

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon!

Great news, 7D:  its not long ago that you were trying to break 20 mins, and now you are knocking on the door of sub 19! And sub 40! You obviously didn't run hard enough yesterday if you can knock out a 17 today!

Well done on getting back on your feet, LMH:  note, you do use your shoulders when running (see pic on the left...hope you don't have similar bruising tomorrow!).

Not a good run from me: both lower legs were really sore so only did just over 2k. Could still be afters from QofP.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Some good running by 7D and Donaldo plus LMH for picking yourself up....

I was a sleeping runner today....Ryde 10m on the IOW - This was never going to be pretty.... didn't get in from work till 6am and had to be up at 7:25.... for a lift... slept in the car so a little more sleep, then stuff my face with percy pigs and a snickers bar to get some energy in.... no pressure to finish... just 4 in the team and 4 to count.... Best finish then...

This was after I found out that I had left my wallet in work (now safe with a mate) plus forget my lunch and shake for afters.... what more could go wrong....

Anyway, Ryde 10 is a beautiful little course with 3 big hills in it, quite easy to spot in the splits... Ideally wanted anything under 67:30, but wanted more like 65....

That was never going to happen when I got a stich at mile 2 and took ages to get rid of it, finaly really getting in to my stride from 5m onwards, hence nearlly a minute negative split.....

Splits were as follows, 6:35, 7:10, 6:33, 6:47, 6:52, 6:49, 6:28, 6:32, 7:21, 6:04 (the last mile is all down hill..... finished in 54th in 1:07:11, so not too bad with a stich and only 2 hours kip....

Good to catch up with several friends. Now to stay awake till  bedtime..... to get back in cink....

I did at least beat Jnr.... but then he was under orders not to race his 1st 10m race.... he did it in 75:05.

just under 53m for the week inc the warm up and cool down from today....

• Good effort in the circumstances RFJ.

Well done on finishing that bathroom Wabo.

Alehouse - it seemed to be ok just hanging loosely and not moving too much so I just kept telling myself to relax and not think about it. Your picture did come to mind when I saw the multi coloured bruising that had developed by the time I arrived home. I expect it will be more spectacular tomorrow.

Has the wind subsided a little OH? How are your legs feeling now, lost the woodenness?

Enjoy the swim Blisters.

• Good run RFJ after what sounds like less than an ideal build up. Good speedy 10 miler too Donaldo!

Alehouse: it seems that way. I had a disappointing 10k last week and have been throwing myself into training as of late; supposedly ahead of the Cambridge Half but I guess the benefits are coming into shorter distances. Think it helps that I do intervals regularly with the club I run out with on Thursday, too.

• sevendaughters - well done on the 5k and long run for the weekend - I did something similar but not as fast!

Little Miss Happy - that just shows how tough you are - have a fall then you keep on going, only later looking to see the damage!

Wabo - you seem to be getting very strong!

Alehouse - you're doing it!

RFJ - don't know how you did it! I used to have a friend who worked nightshift and he was always having to race not having much sleep! Not good.

M. - It is bl**dy hot isn't it! Think it was 21 degrees at 7am yesterday.

What: 5km Cornwall Parkrun 24.33 - hot with a very nast long hill in it. Yes, you do get to go down it, but doesn't make it any easier coming back up it! That was Saturday, Sunday was 14 miles hilly with clubmates. Stuffed for the rest of the day.

• Solid stuff though NZC, really impressive.

• LM.H legs better yesterday but a bit wooded on short run today
    Wind not bad today between squalls but due for storm tomorrow (F10) - boats already cancelled!

RFJ  - that's dedicated

• OH:  still dithering like at 14:40?!

NZC: I think you are the tough one round here! Heat, race, hilly 14!

• AH - accidental repost (now edited)
    all due to an undocumented feature of my (smart image) phone image

• "The biggest seas currently on the planet are going to be west of Orkney over the next 60 hours. They will be monstrous, with a height of 48+feet...."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554876_559131340764122_1812181103_n.jpg

Batten down the hatches image (although relatively calm just now)

• I guess kayaking and sea swimming are out for a few days, OH! Hold on tight!

• And if you can't see (FB) image:

http://chart-d.metcentral.com/wave/2013020306/750/1-1359990000-1.gif

Black represents 48' or greater swell (the top end of the scale)

• Batten the hatches indeed!

NZC - I figured it was going to hurt whether I'd finished my run or not and I'd feel a little better if I did have to have a couple of days off having the run in the bank. I have a strict 'don't look unless you're going to do something about it' policy image it always hurts much more once you can see what you've done! Sounds as though you've had a couple of hard days.

• Flippindeblink!  A bit breezy up there then!  My brother lives on Lewis and works on a fish-farm, hope they dont get any damage!

• That's height of swell forecast rather than wind but wind forecast is almost as dramatic 60mph gusting 71mph (MSW)
    donaldo - Hopefully your brother's fish farms are on the east side of Lewis

Might not some (gentle) swimming be therapeutic LM.H ?
    whatever hope you recover quickly

AH I've not been kayaking since Boxing Day image

• Swimming done.
    After last week's time trials, Coach did a bit of rough maths and said that I might come out of the IM swim in 1:40. I find that hard to believe, then he said that the numbers predicted 1:30. Personally I'd be glad to be out inside 2 hours. Time (and tide) will tell.

Thinking of all the islanders, and just because they may be on the hiding side of the island doesn't mean that the swell and waves don't go around the corners.