Sports Psychology Research

Hi All,

I am currently undertaking research into the area of Superstition in Sport as part of my thesis. If any of you have a moment, could you please complete a quick anonymous questionnaire (link below).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhWTk1NUFkxRmtZTWpMZVRFQm9rRHc6MQ#gid=0

Any help is much appreciated,

Thank you,

Emma

Comments

• Your age categories are a little confusing. If I'm 35, do I pick 25-35 or 35-45?

Or both, seeing as you can pick more than one image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The survey seems more about team sports than solo ones.  

I think I've skewed it by having NO supersitions, rituals (and let's leave fetishes out of this!).

Also:

8. How often do you not shave on the day of your game/ competition/ event
    •  Never
    •  Rarely
    •  Sometimes
    •  Often
    •  All the time
    Well I always NOT shave on the day of my competition - but I always NOT shave anyway!
  • I'd love to see the rest of the research and the thesis for this.  It's the most bat-shit crazy survey we've had on here for ages!

• 8. How often do you not shave on the day of your game/ competition/ event

I never shave?! What a supid question, and what if you're a woman? Or a kid?

How often do you pray for success before each game/ competition/ event? WTF?!??!?!?

How often do you pray with your team in the lead up to/ before your game/ competition/ event? image

Are you an American?

• Wilkie wrote (see)

I think I've skewed it by having NO supersitions, rituals (and let's leave fetishes out of this!).

If it's an open survey, I would've thought that rather than skewing the results, your answers will be a significant part of showing that many (most??) people don't have silly superstitions.

One or two niggles with the way the survey is structured, e.g. there were a fair few "not applicable" in there.  (As Wilkie says, many questions are geared towards team sports or make assumptions about the structure of the competition) but it's interesting that there is a question about whether you think the superstition really makes any difference; on the face of it, an odd question, but in reality I'm sure there are many rituals that people go through simply because they are comforted by routine when trying to deal with nerves, etc., but knowing full well that superstitions are a bit silly.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

To that question, Phil, since I'd clearly indicated that I have no superstitions, I went for "strongly believe" (or equivalent).  

• Lardarse wrote (see)

Are you an American?

I don't think Americans have a monopoly on prayer.  There seems to be a strong correlation between taking penalties and making the sign of the cross in Mediterranean footie teams for example.  Then you've got Jonathan Edwards, although he eventually saw the light.  image

• 5. How often do you dress sloppily- to help you feel better prepared for your game/ competition/ event

i lost intrest after the second lot of questions!

this is geared at americans me thinks?

mascots? underneath your runners?

• I thought when we got to the fetish section things were looking up !

I always lace my shoes this way, not superstition just functional

I always wear the same colour, cos its club kit and we haven't changed the colour in ages

Can I have a degree now please ?
  • How often do you touch the ground??

• literatin wrote (see)

How often do you touch the ground??

Only every other stride

• Hi all (again),

I'm not american i'm Irish!

There aren't many standardised questionnaires that cover superstitious ritual in sport so I had to use this one which was developed by Americans, hence some of the weird questions. It is hard to find a standarised set of questions that can cover most sports, if the questions don't apply to you just ignore them, they are just there to cover a wide base of athletes and sports. For example, 'How often do you touch the ground seems like a bizare question, but is a ritual commonly used by cricketers whilst they are batting. 

Thank you to those of you who have completed the questionnaire, any participation is extremely helpful!

• These posts are a good reminder where not to do any research! 

• Wilkie wrote (see)

The survey seems more about team sports than solo ones.  

That's ironic, you didn't like external links yesterday.

Done, hope it helps with your thesis.

• Using a culture-bound questiionnaire because it's the only one there is is like the drunk looking for her lost car keys under a lamp-post - not because that's where she thinks she dropped them, but because it's the only place she can see.