Ride London

Comments

• ello (0:

I am in and am miffed to have a 7:58 start time.... Been training my ars* off and feel i will be held up the whole way and will probably not meet cut off times due to giant bottlenecks image #dotheynotknowwhoiam 

I have been training for a six hour finish... humph!!!

I am cycling from west london to stratford on the sunday morning...Anyone doing the same ish?

am mainly image to find out i couldve applied to have my start time changed.....

• flatfooted - i will be at the excel for 9am saturday moring. want to buy shiny things i dont need and get out before it goes mental in there. 

BB - at the etape du tour this year, they let 1,000 cyclists go every ten minutes and it was over a 83 mile course, 13,000 cyclists. I was spectating, my friend who did it said he did have to be quite pushy to get past the slower cyclists.....

• I think patience is going to be the word of the day Oii, Looking at the first cut off of 24 miles at Hampton court still gives you 2 1/2 hours to there...if you've done some training that should be an easy one.

Just doesn't leave you much time to hang around at the feedsations later on.

• Def says in the magazine that tri bars etc need to be removed.

I'm sure they adjust the cut-offs to take account for start times? Are the slower riders seeded later? I shall try not to be one of the bottle neckers!!

I can't make it up on Saturday to register - got the kids and am not taking them up there, it would be a mare! So heading up friday night after work. Sub optimal but hey ho! Will probably be quieter...

• I predict carnage on this ride unless you're

a) an early starter

b) a decent rider to get past the slower numpties

c) get to the Surrey Hill before said numpties come along and get off to walk up clogging the ride up

it has all the hallmarks of the London to Brighton event I'm afraid which is a frigging nightmare unless you can get away early

• I think I agree FB

Cheers for that Gladys, you can tell I hvaent read any info yet !!

• Melds - I would hope that most of those who signed up for the 100miler are decent cyclists with some experience of long rides, but sadly I think too many will be cyclists who have no experience of a long day in a saddle and will be undertrained so are going to cause chaos..

hey ho - it is what it is - try to have fun and give our best to those doing it.....

• I reckon it'll be 50% experienced cyclists and 50% novice.

Err on the side of caution peeps - there will be a lot of wobbly people !
  • Which ever way you look at the seeding for start times it never looks any better  image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I think there will be LOTS of novices, all fired up to enter by the TdF and Olympics last year.

• I am so glad i am not the only one who feels it will be clogged up with novices. I sort of get the feeling it will be lots of inexperienced types with loony expensive bikes in team sky kit? Embarrased by my judgemental thoughts on this.....

People are telling me to look forwards to it (i am) but, if it is anything like the first 10k of the VLM, with people dropping like flies as they have entered and then not trained, i am going to be pretty unimpressed.

If anyone purchases cleats at the excel on the saturday and then uses them on the sunday and takes me off my bike when they fall off, i wont be held responsible for my actions....

• i sound a bit moody about this event. in truth its because im hopelessly overexcited about it! i spent 7 months in london for work recently and the london roads scared me stupid. am soooooo happy to be on closed roads!!!

• oii wrote (see)

IIf anyone purchases cleats at the excel on the saturday and then uses them on the sunday and takes me off my bike when they fall off, i wont be held responsible for my actions....  

No need to worry about that, you'll be so tightly packed together that anyone falling off will be held up by everyone else around them.

• You should see the pictures cycling weekly just put on Twitter of what Surrey council have done to the roads this week. Doubt any of us will carry enough spare tubes to even get half way

• You mean the bits they've tarred 'n' chipped, FF?  They've been doing that for weeks.  It makes the roads unrideable when it's fresh, but doesn't cause many punctures.  If they've done that to any of the route this week they'll know where to station the St Johns ambulance people.

• I think I might just ignore this thread til Monday ....

Gladys .. dont rely on the above fact tho image

• M...eldy wrote (see)

I think I might just ignore this thread til Monday ....

then you won't be interested in similar comments about the carnage being made over in Tripetalk either......image

• PS - Meldy is a Jack Duckworth witch!!!

Almost beginning to feel grateful that I will be setting my alarm for 3.30am!!!

I was hoping for a nice 18-20mph peleton on wide open, closed roads...

It's only 20k people over 2 hours. London to Brighton is 60k over a narrower time isn't it?

It'll be fine!! image

PS - Meldy is a Jack Duckworth lookylikey witch!!!  image

• M.eldy - I vote for a Sunday lie in and lunch in a pub instead.....

• Oii .. I'm with you

Sadly Gladys wont make it out of A&E in time

• I was thinking, whats to stop me rocking up in central London at 06.30 and ride the course anyway?  Whats stopping any of you starting early i.e. missing the start and joining the route at the 1 mile point?  How many other people will be thinking of doing this?

• You have that thought for every organised ride that is advertised  ...  image

• There have been a couple of events ive entered when ive not wanted to bother with all the start shenanigans and have just started before the main event or joined the course just after the start.  You don't get an official time but does that matter if youre just doing it for a laugh or training.

I do think if I was doing it and with it being the first Ride London id probably do it properly, its just a shame it seems to be a massive money spinning venture and they've packed the event so full its not going to be a good ride for those starting later (I hope im wrong).

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

The tar and chippings are seemingly everywhere in Surrey, although in some areas the excess chippings have now been swept away, after my ride on Sunday I got a puncture so I hope everyone has enough inner tubes with them.
    Also I can confirm the crowd barriers are up in the built up areas or in piles ready to be put out. They are thinking the public will be out to watch, but many of Surrey's residents are not happy that it has road closures for such a great length of time, the Olympics was only 4 hours not 12.

Oii, you have the right attitude towards the ride, thinking it will be like the start of VLM, part of me wants it to work out OK the other part says hope it fails.

• Packed now. rollered my ITB's to death with spiky massage ball. 

Steadcj - what time is your start time?

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I was thinking, whats to stop me rocking up in central London at 06.30 and ride the course anyway?  Whats stopping any of you starting early i.e. missing the start and joining the route at the 1 mile point?  How many other people will be thinking of doing this?

Going by the number of barriers distributed around Surrey ready to block off every access and sideroad onto the course, rocking up and joining in might not be as easy as London to Brighton.  This is in all the relatively quiet areas too.  They can't marshal every conceivable entry point though.

• Not that I'm planning on doing that, I should add, thankfully I shall be far away...

• Dave, you have a PM from me re Pirate Trophy

• I went to remove the Tri bars from my bike today .... they actually weren't on the bike  image

Lord only knows where they are, I vaguely remember taking them off for Lanza .. chances of using them there were optimistic !!