Training in Spain?

Have you attended any of the training camps in Spain (specifically Lanzarote)?
If you have, please share your thoughts on whether it was a good use of your time and any tips having actually done the camp, what you would now do differently.

Comments

• Not done a training camp at La Santa, but have been there for active holidays a few times. I liked it. Was fairly basic - but great for getting you out and doing things.
  • choose your camp carefully.

we went on one to La Santa a number of years ago with a well known tri coach and were hacked off.  it was a mixed group of abilities from fast, GB guys to us 2 old farts (me and my wife) and we were at the slower end of the range (although for our age we are quite quick).  to be honest we may not have been there for the attention we were given - it was very disappointing. he liked to focus on the fast guys - fair enough you may say - but we were paying the same amount as they so would have liked a little more advice.   

and it wasn't helped by La Santa - we thought it was dreadful - sure, great facilities but the place itself was like Butlin's.  and the food was shit.  

• OK so thumbs down on La Santa.

Is it possible to join the camps without being resident (ie staying somewhere else)?
    If not do you know of camps offsite i.e. other places/villas?

• AD - don't just go on what I say about La Santa - many people do like it.  I guess it all comes down to personal taste. you need to try it yourself really.

as for other camps, get hold of one of the tri mags (220, Tri+ etc) as many will advertise in there.  

• I've done a Lanza camp last year and am going back for more this year - everyday training lanza camp

This was based in PdC - There were 14 odd partcipants last year, and we ended up with 3 groups - a fast group of 4-6, a medium group of 4-6 and a slow group of, yes, you guessed it, 4-6.People swapped as they saw fit.

30 min swim pre breakfast, 3 to 6 hour ride, 30 min run in the late afternoon.  Repeat 6 times.    Add in a race every day, (ie a 10k TT, a mini aquathon, a 10k hill climb, a 10k run race etc), a couple of massages, a bit of yoga, food, beer and it was fun.  There are options to bike, swim or run long on every day if thats your bag.

We had a couple of top male age groupers (40-50) and a top lady age grouper, (40-50), as well as a several IM novices, (who ended up doing IM lanza in about 14 hrs).  If you can bike strong enough, (ie the last day is the IM bike course) then you will get loads out of it.   Most people were 30s/40's.

A big block of training will have a big effect on your fitness, and you will get a different perspective on tiredness, (ie day 4 is interesting!). Also wind and hills also become a lot less daunting following a week on biking on Lanza.

Theres no technique coaching as such, just the opportunity to do a lot of volume in a structured supported environment.  However, you can train alongside people with way more experience than you, and they will happilly answer any questions re specifics.

The group dynamic obviously depends on who turns up.  I went on my own and was abit nervous - all these 'proper' triathletes.  Would I fit in, would they be idiots, would I be quick enough?  However, it was all good, and the Saturday night end of camp celebration was carnage image

There were also other groups training out of PdC so maybe a bit of googling will help find some of those camps.

any other Qs re lanza - just give me a shout