Options

PlayStation 4

XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
Breaking news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21479858 I'm thinking of getting a games console... Does anybody have a view on which is better out of the Wii and the PlayStation?

Comments

• Options
    I have a PS1 have things moved on ?
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    I think things have definitely moved on from the Commodore 64 I had in my loft until recently.
  • Options
    Pah, still got my Dragon 32 and an Oric..... They will be worth something one day
  • Options

I had a ZX80, which came out - suprisingly - the year before the ZX81!

• Options

Sega megadrive when i was growing up image

with none other than sonic ofcourse

• Options

I have a life..doesn't that trump all your boy toysimage

• Options

how did you guess image

• Options

I now have the sega theme tune as an earworm thank you jasonimage

• Options

If you are looking for pick up and play party type games, I'd go with the Wii. If you want to play anything for more than an hour go for the Playstation.

Although if you were looking to shell out the big bucks for the PS4 (And you can wait that long) I'd wait for the Xbox 720 due by christmas. The Xbox has way better online game capabilities and stability wise has been much better than the PS3.

• Options
    Taxi Driver wrote (see)
    Breaking news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21479858 I'm thinking of getting a games console... Does anybody have a view on which is better out of the Wii and the PlayStation?

If you mean WiiU and PS4 then nobody really knows what the PS4 will bring to the table. Although most seem to think it'll be going down the high power route and some rumours of adding a pointless touch screen to the pad as the WiiU has.

If you mean the Wii and PS3, depends what you want. The PS3 is far more powerful, plays blu-rays/dvd and is a good media centre. The games tend to be more of the traditional sort. The Wii is fine if you like waggle, personally I thought it was a short lived gimmick and wouldn't be surprised to find most now gathering dust once the limited appeal of Wii Sports wears off. Graphically the Wii is pretty poor as it's roughly the same specification as its predecessor the Gamecube which is 2001 technology.

On the Xbox360 vs PS3 thing. It's true the 360 online service is better but it's also a pay for service, so only really worth it if you are an avid online gamer. The PS3 online service is free.

• Options

I will be waiting for the Xbox.....we never progressed from the PS2...had 4 of them in the house............but the PS3 didn't tick the boxes and so have moved to the xbox.only 3 of those though

• Options

games console

what's one of them then???

• Options
    It's for people who don't have a life FB
  • Options

ah - that explains why I don't have a games console

• Options

I see the Troglodytes have gained internet access. I guess their lives are now so meaningful they can waste time posting on running forums now! 

• Options
    It's interesting that here it's half term, a small rural village, weathers ok and not a single child of any age playing out..... I ran mid afternoon yesterday and didn't see any kids !

Leans on Zimmer frame and says, " when I was a youngster we spent all day outside"
  • Options

(joins Dave in a Zimmer race....)

I just don't "get" why kids these days - and by the looks of it, the not-so kids in their 20's and 30's - are so into console games.  there's so much more to life than staring at a PC screen all day - I do that at work, so why would I want to do that at home??

hey ho - modern life

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I see the Troglodytes have gained internet access. I guess their lives are now so meaningful they can waste time posting on running forums now! 

do you actually try and find a thread just to post a response like that?? image

• Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)

(joins Dave in a Zimmer race....)

I just don't "get" why kids these days - and by the looks of it, the not-so kids in their 20's and 30's - are so into console games.  there's so much more to life than staring at a PC screen all day - I do that at work, so why would I want to do that at home??

hey ho - modern life

Well very few will spend all day gaming. Just like any hobby some folk will take it to those extremes.

Gaming is no different in terms of free time spend than reading, watching television or catching a movie etc. Add to that with the modern day ability to compete online against your friends or anyone in the world then it can really bring out the competitive nature in many.

As a kid I went outside and did stuff and played computer games. I'm 39 and still do both. Plus kids being stuck inside always seemed to me to be more about parental fear of letting them go outside these days than having access to games. I feel sorry for the youth of today as they seem to be given very little freedom as children compared to older generations.

• Options
    Jason Wintin wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

do you actually try and find a thread just to post a response like that?? image

I was enjoying the irony or people slamming gaming as a some shameful hobby, while posting on an internet forum. I'm certain ten years or so ago these same folk would have said the same about people accessing the internet.

• Options

errm - have I "slammed" gaming??  I don't think so.   as I said, I don't "get" what it's about maybe because I am of a different generation, or maybe becuase I never have been a fan of PC games (even those simple ones that come on a PC/phone etc).

just not my thing

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I've got family entertainment in mind - certainly won't be spending all day gaming - so it sounds like the Wii might be the more suitable option.
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DTES -- The Dragon 32 and Oric were pretty obscure back in the day... Really can't remember the last time I heard either of those get a mention.
  • Options
    I worked for GEC and we could buy Dragons cheap as they were assembled at the old GEC site in Treforest. Can't remember how I ended up with the Oric
  • Options

i am in the age bracket that should 'get' computer games but have no understanding of why people choose to do such an antisocial thing as play computer games.

i do think the violent and gory games fuells antisocial and criminal behaviour

• Options

i do think the violent and gory games fuells antisocial and criminal behaviour

Not sure about that ?   Our youngest, Sprog 4 who is a very polite and well mannered young lady, Plays some of the most blood thirsty games I have ever seen !  She says it's an hours release after a hard days study