Saturday 23 February 2013

Morning everyone

Lyrics: I'm a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva, I'm gonna go go go, There's no stopping me

What: Albert-Kunst-Lauf (16km)
Why: good for my hm training to see where I'm at

For some reason I'm really nervous about this...not helped by the fact that I know it's going to be slow seeing as there's still about 3cm of snow on the ground.

Back later.

Comments

• Morning.

Stay upright emzap - and have a good run!

My throat is sore and glands up which will explain some of yesterday's negativity. Sill cold here - and forecast colder for tomorrow - but the consensus, including that of my husband, is that I should race so I guess that's what I will do. Not expecting a good time, which will also depend on the muddiness of the 1.5 mile off road stretch I guess, but will have an effort session if nothing else.

What:               nothing
    Why:                nearly ill/resting
    Last hard:        last year
    Last rest:         15/2

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: Wiliam it was nothing by The Smiths.

What: Easy session

Why: Bit tired.

MissB is playing in an accordian competition this afternoon.

LMH: Get well soon.

emzap: All the best for your 16k.

Catch up time over coffee.

• Glad most of you got yesterdays lyrics.

postie: Agreed a good band .

• Good luck, emzap!! Great lyrics, btw -- they played this when I arrived at the VLM 2010 site. cue goosebumps image

LMH: sensible. Take some rest and allow your body to recover. You've knocked out mega miles lately!!

The cold wind is killing me image. Did my tempo in it last night but my chest hurt badly and I was wheezing like I was about to keel over. Glad to manage 9.5 freeezing miles with 4 tempo (7:12, 7:09, 7:11, 7:11). Brrrr. 5 mile recovery this morning, wind has got even worse. Hated it image

Off to the cinema later, watching Les Mis with my goddaughter.  

• Morning all. LMH Get well soon...listen to your body. Emzap: Go safe
    Lyrics: Absolutely
    What Not a lot
    Why: TKD grading for my students and 10 miler at Weston tomorrow
    Last Hard: 2 weeks+
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Need to resume normal service from Monday as mara plans slipping away!

• LMH: hope the throat backs off, so you can enjoy the run/race on Sunday!

emzap: good luck!

what: yesterday stairs at the car park, 8 repeats

why: Friday afternoon routine

last hard: Tuesday

last rest: thursday

Glad to have survived that week- wall to wall busy, barely time to be home, but I fit the training in, somehow. Today will be quiet after yesterday's celebrations in the pub...

ETA: lyrics, surprisingly: yes!

• Lovely run of 12 miles easy this morning in about 92:30 or so.  Beautiful weather with sunshine - very cold though (no shorts today!).  Wife says I have freckles for the first time this year so must have caught some rays!

Lyrics - favourite band of all time, so YES! image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Hello again, upright and home!  An event of mixed feelings I guess.  The 50 mile drive there was pretty bad due to the Autobahns having not been cleared of snow at all.  Managed to register with 10 mins to spare!  The route had been altered due to the snow and this had not been announced, so I was expecting 2 laps of a 5 mile course.  However, after the 1st 2 km or so, I realised that this was not going to be the case as we passed the start again, so the route must have changed.  As I'd had no idea this was the case, I had no idea how many laps I was meant to be doing, so guessed at 10.  I got to 5 laps and my garmin was showing over 5 miles, so I asked 2 sets of marshalls how many laps we were meant to be doing and no one knew!  I then asked a man I overtook and he said 8.  This was confirmed when I ran through the start the 6th time and the lady said I had 2 to go.  The course was a bit odd, about a third of the lap was on cleared tarmac, the remaining 2/3 on 4cm of compacted snow.  There werte no water stations for the whole 10 miles either, luckily I had my water bottle.  However, for my final 2 laps a guy who was on a cool down lap came and chatted to me, and he decided to run the remainder of my race with me (apart form the very end).  This spurred me on and these last 2 laps were a lot quicker than they would have been without his help.  He also had a dig called Mr Higgens...I have no idea why!  Anyway, hot tea at the end was the final spur I needed and non-official time was 1:24.  My Garmin reckoned it was just over 9 miles.  A pb if it was indeed 10 miles!  Even if it was 9, it's on track for a 2 hour HM which is what I'd recalculated to be a realistic HM time after the training I've had this year.  It was cold, -5C so running in 3 layers, tights, hat, nack warmer, gloves. 

Don't think I'd do this one again, but I feel really good having overcome my fears and getting out there image  Oh, and trying to speak German whilst knackered is even harder than normal!

LMH glad you have come to a decision.  Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

Now I'm going to warm up and probably fall asleep!

Have a good one all.

• Afternoon!

Decided on a rest day after spending much of the morning walking round town trying to decide what to do about a new phone: managed to drop my i-phone in the bath yesterday! Clever! For now I have replaced it with a £9 phone! rahter a contrast! The i-phone was my son's old one so it had seen better days anyway. Already lost without it though!

Lyrics: I know I should do!

Well done Emzap on putting a number on and racing in grim conditions.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sounds like my idea of a night mare emzap - well toughed/worked out!

They are forecasting snow, minus temperatures and 30 mph+ gusting winds for the race tomorrow - will just have to suck it up I guess. Hope it's worth making myself ill for!

Alehouse - I'v never progressed much beyond the £9 phone, in fact mine only has  a camera because I couldn't find one that didn't when I needed to replace the old one!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

LMH I was lucky it was today!  It's being snowing all day and I reckon there's another 3 cm already.  I heard on the radio that there's going to be 40 cm somewhere near here overnight!  I hope it's not here...

• Lyrics YES YES YES! One of the most motivational tracks ever, especially at the start of a big and long race. (Yesterday's however, still don't know it, although I have heard of the Smiths).

Well raced Emzap, it sounds a bit like a cross country event!

A chilly 48 miles on the bike with the gang, About halfway through we had arranged to have an 8 mile time trial. I was second starter, and was catching the leader. But a puncture and a totally amateur tyre change put paid to that. It took me forever. A nice blast though.

• What: "Polar Bear" trip to Papa Westray for swim. Twice on World's Shortest Scheduled Flight  imageimageimage
    Why: glorious day although water still only 4°C
    Last Hard: last Saturday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: no

May need to run tomorrow now (last chance for long run before Loch Katrine

Well done on getting out today emzap - I think we've grabbed the good weather today

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Emzap

Get better soon LMH

What - 17.5m inc a parkrun
    Why - Have night shift tonight (didnt want to leave till tomorrow
    Last hard - Thurs
    Last Rest - Weds

Take care

• Well done today, RFJ:  and well done JNR...thought you might mention his win! Perhaps they are becoming too common place!

Hope Dustin  and Little Miss D enjoyed the National cross country. I hear it was a tough one!

Looked up the flight, OH:  I take it you don't get any refreshments!

Don't know why I didn't get the lyrics!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.