Great British Relay World Record Attempt

Comments

• Paul, of course answering the questions several people had asked him, would have informed the debate even more
  • Lol, dave, let it go man.

- one post wonder

• Sam Hull 3 wrote (see)

Lol, dave, let it go man.

- one post wonder

But with all you "new" one post wonders, It is always possible you may stick around and contribute to the wider forum

• Organised thing..no not at all...

A few of us heard about the negative comments Paul received as he attempted to start the relay off one year ago and decided to come and share our thoughts having been participants....

And one post wonders...

Well I like many people am fairly new to running. The sooner I could get out of doing cross country at school the better!!

Earlier this year my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, underwent mastectomy..and this started my running off...

So far this year have ran five marathons, four halves and as I stated in my initial post, I was supposed to do two sets of relay stages but had to abandon the second set at very short notice due to complications from my mothers chemotherapy that led her to collapse.

Going forward, I have seven marathons and eight halves to do...including GNR and Royal Parks in the jigsaw piece costume, the emblem of the charity Breast Cancer Campaign.

I'm certain at some point I might get injured, might seek the advice of other runners, but I think I'd rather consult the guys at Nutters or RTW.  I'm not a one post wonder, but a two post wonder..the runners world magazine might be great for a read but I really have a negative impression of the forums right now...

• Stop your bleating.

The guy came on here to promote an event. Initially he didn't say it was his event but eventually he did. He was asked a number of straightforward questions but continued not to answer them. If he had done so and been upfront he wouldn't have got any come back.

Good that you achieved what you wanted but why come on here moaning.

• I signed up for this event in early 2013 and was willing to risk £30.  I was disappointed that it was postponed in 2013 but ran my stage (alone) anyway. On 20 June 2014 my team ran 10k along the Cornish coast path and into the sunset.  This was a magical event for me, there was a great vibe with the other runners and their supporters, some of whom I knew from Parkrun and I met some impressively organised ultra runners.  I was proud to run with Casey (the baton)  and to participate in this unique event.  I have already signed up for next year.  If anyone is thinking about taking part next year please read the facebook and twitter posts which are more positive.

• Does Paul answer questions on Facebook or Twitter ?
  • Paul answered all my questions in full via email and twitter and facebook.  I spoke with the other runners on the phone and in person to sort out exactly were we would hand over the baton.  The record wasn't broken this year - I am looking forward to trying again next year and maybe every year.  What questions do you have?

• Check the first couple of pages of this thread, many questions were asked and non were answered
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I was aware of the this thread when this year's attempt was being ran and I can vouch for two of the "one post wonders", as I know them personally and they (or I) have no connection with the organisers directly.  As it happens, members of my club got fully behind the event and signed up for a few of the stages (it was free, as far as I'm aware although initially there was a charge).  Unfortunately, the record didn't get broken as the tracker in the baton shows it was left on the floor for at least one point.  They're having another go at it next year.

I am guessing the "one post wonders" as Dave likes to call them are coming across this thread via Google and want to counter the negative criticism that has been posted by those who weren't even involved.

• The negative criticism has tended to be of the organiser's refusal to answer perfectly reasonable questions, and it was he how descended into name calling.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I was pointing out that not all of the "one post wonders" have a connection with the organisers, which is what you're implying.

• My humble apologies Big_G

Still amusing how people only turn up to praise,

Now if we could get someone to answer all the questions that have been asked....................

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

In fairness, locally I have only heard praise about the event and people were proud to be a part of it.  I did not run it myself and do not know the organiser personally, but I do know about 20 people who participated.

As a matter of interest, when people do Ironman events (for example), do they request a detailed break down of where all the money goes?  Or do you sign up thinking "ouch, that's a bit pricey" but do so anyway because you're passionate about competing in that event?

• Big_G wrote (see)

As a matter of interest, when people do Ironman events (for example), do they request a detailed break down of where all the money goes?  Or do you sign up thinking "ouch, that's a bit pricey" but do so anyway because you're passionate about competing in that event?

You see, That's the sort of question that was asked of Paul

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Again you've missed my point which seems quite common with you.  My point is that people were passionate about the event and wanted to do it and so signed up.  I am guessing you do the same with events that you're passionate about without wanting to get the accountants in to go through all the finances first.

I suppose what it comes down to is that it is very easy to be critical and much more difficult to try and be positive and get something new off the ground, which is what this chap has done.  

Picking up on something Seren asked is that I expect a lot of newcomers are put off from contributing as it can seem quite a cliquey forum.  Don't get me wrong, I love it here but generally it's not particularly welcoming in my humble opinion.  

• Wow - I am usually on the opposite side of a debate than Dave but wonders never cease. Dave wasn't critical as he was simply asking why the person wouldn't answer a few basis questions. Nick was critical and rather beautifully so.

I have been round these forum for way too long but would say I am a 'lone wolf'. Once upon a time the pirate ladies did get a bit clique (not so much he men ones) but really no one posts much these days so a bit lazy to level that one at Dave, who needs no clique to speak his mind.

• Agreed, It is easy to be critical.

It is also very easy to be critical and sceptical when an organiser refuses to answer questions put tot hem and is reduced to name calling in an effort to deflect those questions.

• Hopefully they will get off to a better start next year.....

I don't think you can compare the entering of an ironman...we all know they are a big commercial machine there to make big profits.............and you can look at the published accounts if you want to see how much profits they make.......

will the accounts for this be produced so people can decide if they want to be part of it.......

I still can't work out if this is a money making thing

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I wasn't aware that I did level that at Dave.  I was continuing a point that Seren posed, and I think it is a possibility that some new people are scared off.  This is from the point of view of a relative 'lone wolf' as you put it, but as someone who still classes themselves as an active observer/contributor.

Don't get me wrong, there are very popular threads on here where newbies are welcomed whole heartedly.  I have noticed though that some people only post regularly on that one thread, and post very little elsewhere.  I think this is because generally speaking the "tone" of the forum overall is quite argumentative and confrontational (again, not levelled at Dave specifically).

• seren nos wrote (see)

I still can't work out if this is a money making thing

I think that was one of the questions asked, and avoided  image

• I have checked out the website.I can't find any real contact numbers..or details if a company has been formed for this........if so what kind of company...

The link to charities is just for individuals who use it to raise money...

I am just a bit lost and like things to be open.......a bit like if someone is asking for sponsorship.I want to know if the cost of the trip is paid for out of their own money or out ofr the sponsorship......

I think a lot of people are the same wanting information to make their choices.....

or otherwise it just loks like the money is all going for the organiser to have a trip around the country....

which is fine if thats what is what it is...but I think its only fair that peopel know the details....

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

will the accounts for this be produced so people can decide if they want to be part of it.......

I don't know anyone who would do this for any event.  My point is that people were passionate about this event and wanted to do it, so signed up (it's as simple as that for them, as they wanted to do the event).  Therefore, the general attitude/tone on this particular thread from the regulars is totally different to the people who participated in the event and obviously enjoyed it.

• Big_G wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

Therefore, the general attitude/tone on this particular thread from the regulars is totally different to the people who participated in the event and obviously enjoyed it.

We only asked questions !!!!!!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Seren, I agree the website isn't great, and it doesn't appear to be updated with the fact that the record didn't get broken.  There is some information on the Facebook group about that though and they're trying again next year.  To be totally honest, I don't even know what record they were going for as that's not clear to me either.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Not sure of the history around it, but many people paid nothing.