Team triathlons?

2»

Comments

• The winner last year was a triathlete on his cannondale road bike. I'd never seen one before but it was a mighty fine machine.

That'll be some competition for you :)

The field will be a made up of a good few triathlete, a few general athletes, a load of rowers who do nothing but row and a few others in it for something to do. It's a good mix with all sorts turning up. If I can find some entry figures so far out I'll let you know
  • Phew - did a 3000m row this morning - 13.25 mins and wasn't absolutely flat out, so I might be able to save some time there.

Really makes the difference watching your figures on the computer I find.
  • So you're definatly going to do the race then?

Average splits of 2.14 - you should be able to get that down to 2.00 min in the next month. Save even more time then ;)

I'm injured at the moment so can't use the rowing machine (arm injury) but I'm hoping to do the row at 1.46-1.48 per 500 10.36-10.48 But I'll loose so much on the bike it's untrue
  • And if I can't get rid of the injury before then I want to do this as a team, I'll do the running, I have a top rower who could do the rowing machine. Any cyclists out there interested?
  • I've entered.

Can't see me getting down to 2.00 mins though ! Waaaaay fast ! ;-)

GOtta be a cyclist out there somewhere ??
  • For someone as fit as you 2.00 shouldn't be waaaaay fast. Actually, if there is a cyclist out there I wouldn't mind doing it as a team anyway. The rower will probably cover the distance in 1.41-1.42 possibly even quicker. I could probably do the run in around 18/19 minutes ( I've never done 5k but I've done 6 and 3/4 miles in 39.20)

So anyone interested? There's a team coming up from Bedford (two teams I think)
  • when/where is this...?

I'd be tempted to do the roadie-ness for a team...
  • Right next door to the Lowry Centre in Salford and opposite the Old Trafford football ground
  • Oh decemeber the 14th I think - The Sunday of that weekend anyway
  • hum...
    Alas.. its the frolic gathering in london that w/e...

Sorry!!!
  • Aaaah - Beer wins !

I've got my office Xmas party on the Friday - I think I'll have to be sensible for once !
  • You've got all Saturday to recover, forget being sensible ! :)
  • You haven't seen me drink - few pints and I'm gone ! ;-)
  • I have only just found this thread and have read all the messages. I competed in my first Tri in Derby in september. Had a great day, completely knackered at the end of it but had fun. People of all abilities were there, and yes all types of bikes were used. I passed one woman on her bike riding along like miss daisey. Some Tri's are held in swimming pools so no veils desease to be caught. Lots of tri's allow team entry's and two good web sites to look at are:
    www.britishtriathlon.org
    www.220magazine.com
    both will give you listings of up and coming events, icluding the 'rowathons' you have been talking about.
    give one a try. you will be hooked. promise.
  • OK don't ask me why I did it but I've just been out in the pouring rain to run the triathlon course for this event. I did it as a warm up job down there, ran the course at a fair speed then warm down back. Soaked to the bone.

The run is a little different and judging my my time maybe a little over 5k. It's a 3 and a half lap afair with lots of little turns in it so you can see where you are in relation to other people. I ran the whole thing in 21.50 with an average heart rate of 164 - so not flat out.

There are 8 x 180 degree turns in each lap. Sounds really weird I know but wait until you see it. It's also sipplery on one part of the course as well, running under some trees, I'm not sure if that was because it's pouring though.

Now I've run the thing I reckon I could do it in about 19.30.

Spoke with the rower about the rowing machine aspect and he seems pretty keen. My arm is better now so if there is no cycling interest by friday night I'll pay my race fee on Saturday morning.
  • 180 degree turns ? That'll slow me down a bit !

Just got a HRM working for the fiorst time in years so I'll do some exercise with it to see what my HR is with running. I don't think I;ve ever used it outside of a bike.

I'll wear it to my spin class tomorrow and see how that goes !
  • The 180 degree turns -
    1st one the turn at the top of the lap and the rest come running up and down ramps for peeople with push chairs (each lap you go over 2 bridges)

It's quite hard to explain but it's great for seeing where other people are.

That said, my recolection last year is that every time I had to change direction i nearly had to stop to do so and it was bloody hard to carry on again, I'd never done anything like a tri before and I've not since.
  • 3000 meters row in 12.15 this morning. But was knacked !

So between running to the gym, the row, the spin class and then running to work - I've had a mini-tri already ! Phew !
  • Great improvement - that's what? 2.02.5 splits now? Big difference.

Sounds like you've done a full tri not a part one to me :)

Club run tonight, going to take it easy though, done a weights session this morning and 30 minutes on the rowing machine.

So we have two people up for the event now? 3 including myself. Anymore lurking around here?