Wimslow half marathon, no music???

2»

Comments

• You can't beat the Nuremberg defence
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    You can't beat the Nuremberg defence

You mean 'I wasn't obeying orders'?

• Peter Collins wrote (see)

Hear hear. I'd dob you in it Princess if I saw you in a race with an ipod that had banned them.  Follow the rules.

Who to though? A marshall who would probably either not care or who point out to you that there were hundreds of other people wearing them as well?

• the runner has a race number.

easy to give it to the organiser who can check on the official photographs........more and more and getting strict as some people do not seem to care about race rules....maybe we should all take our dogs to run around us because they always do my long run with me.......

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

If your number gets noted down by a marshall or a race official and the organisers have stated you will be DQ'd, you will find that your finish time is not in the results, plus if any good you miss out on prizes. As Seren says photographers can help and some races have video finishes for backup of results.

In the past I have marshalled at races and it is always the ipod wearers that ignore your instructions, proof they are not aware of what is going on. One day I may let someone go the wrong way or hit an obstacle due to their own negligence.

The photo may have shown runners in the past wearing ipods, but it doesnot mean to say that they were not DQ'd.

All the elite runnerss race without music, people managed to run years ago before Sony Walkman was invented.

• SteadyCJ wrote (see)

All the elite runnerss race without music, people managed to run years ago before Sony Walkman was invented.

There's the rub, most of the people who wear or feel the need to wear musical devices are not the elite runnners and are those who are going to take 2+hrs to do a half marathon rather than scrape in over the hour, the amateur or fun runners as it were.

I think the rules say something along the lines of please don't wear ipods or similar rather than something more draconian, a friendly request rather than a threat. Perhaps it should be more cut and dried and say they are banned as will anyone who is wearing them and then there's no argument. The way it stands it's a grey area and people will come out on both sides of the argument

That said if you insist on music then one ear piece and the volume at a level where you are still aware of people around you and any obstacles, instructions etc rather than the complete works of Iron Maiden at a level where your teeth start falling out and fellow runners are sharing in your music without the need for earphones

It perhaps should be clearer in advance so people can adapt their training, difficult if you've trained for a few months with music and then get race instructions 1 or 2 weeks before that say it's frowned upon

• The rules are what ever the event organiser states on the entry form.....
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm quite suprised that people see a "polite request" as something that you shouldn't respect any more.

If someone asks you, however nicely, not to do something at their event then either do what they ask or don't do the event.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    I'm quite suprised that people see a "polite request" as something that you shouldn't respect any more.
    If someone asks you, however nicely, not to do something at their event then either do what they ask or don't do the event.

I know. Sad really.

I don't care if people carry and ipod/mp3 or not. It does piss me off when people blatantly disguard rules from race organisers.

I guess it says a lot about those people too.

• Some people run for fun Robin?image