First time London not sure what pace i should set?

Hi all, this is my first post but as a newbie to running i have read a lot of stuff on here.

Anyway i'm doing London next month and it will be my first marathon. I've been running for about 3 years and done 4 10ks and one half which was two years ago.

My training has gone well and i have managed to run 3 to 4 times a week every week since November and have felt myself get fitter and stronger. My issue is i don't know what to aim for on the day. I have done to 20 mile runs and have got round in 3:15 and felt tired but not beat. I live in a Wiltshire village and it is a really hilly. The route i do is four laps around the village with about 1200 feet of elevation, each lap as almost 4 miles of steady climb then a down hill at the end. Obvioulsy London is flat so how much quicker am i likely to be able to get round with out having the hills taking it out of me? my midweek runs i am able to run at around 8:30 pace.

Any hints would be usefull!

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• A recent half would give an idea. It's impossible to say from training runs. We don't know how hard you pushed. It could mean sub 3.15 or up to 4 hours.

What's your recent 10k time ?
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    3:30 8 min mile pace, it's flat how hard can it be?!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It won't be up to you at London.

Unless you force your way to the front somehow, you'll be stuck in the middle of an impenetrable mass of people all moving slower than you.

🙂

• I'm not sure that's always the case. I did 3.43 from pen6 in my first race there. I don't think the crowds held me back. Pen 6 was pretty much right at the back too.
  • Thanks for your replies. My best race 10k was Longleat 10k in 2012 which I did in 52:53. My only half was 2011 which i did in 2:08 i was failry new to running and under estimated how hard it would be and died at 10 miles!

During my long run i was pushing quite hard and felt tired after but have felt ok today little bit sore but nothing too bad. What i have found is the running up hills the distance increases seems to get harder and harder i felt if i could run on the flat i would be able to keep going but the thought of another 4 mile slog up a hill filled me with dread! I guess what i'm saying does anyone know how much hill slow you down complared to running on the flat?

Thanks