Options

Heat Stress Research: Free VO2max and Lactate Test Worth £125!

Hi everyone,

I'm a PhD researcher working at Brunel University London and am currently conducting a study looking at the effects of heat stress on skeletal muscle blood flow. I'm looking for volunteers to take part in my upcoming research; ideally between the 3rd and 9th April, although this is flexible.

As compensation for your participation, we are offering a full VO2max/lactate analysis test (bike/treadmill/or both) at the Brunel Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, or alternatively £125 in cash.

If you are a trained male, aged 18-35, and have no aversion to providing blood samples, please message me here or e-mail me on /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gifcott.chiesa@brunel.ac.uk]scott.chiesa@brunel.ac.uk.

Many thanks in advance.

Scott Chiesa

www.brunel.ac.uk/csmhp

Comments

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Cash??  Got any room for a 40-year-old with the lungs of a 25-year-old?  image

• Options

Hi there,

If you are highly-trained (which it appears you are from your profile), there may be a possibility of taking part. If you are in fact interested, drop me an e-mail on /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gifcott.chiesa@brunel.ac.uk]scott.chiesa@brunel.ac.uk and we'll see what we can arrange.

Many thanks!

Scott

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Why are you discriminating against women?  

We exercise too, you know, and I'd be interested in taking part.  

• Options

I suppose the narrow sample group (age, fitness and gender) simply helps to rule out factors which aren't directly part of the study.

• Options

Hi 'Wilkie'.

'Juliefrazz' has pretty much hit the nail on the head with their response. The precise mechanisms we are studying vary between males and females; young and old; trained and untrained; etc. Therefore, by not narrowing our field of investigation down to a single population, we leave our research open to question and criticism. There are other universities carrying out extensive research on female only and elderly populations, so we're filling the gap by focusing on the males.

Other teams within the centre are currently carrying out trials on females (aged 18-40) with exercise-induced asthma; so if you have this condition (or think you may have it), please get back in touch and I'd be very happy to put you through to them for a referral.

Kind regards

Scott

• Options

I'm doing this - nothing to be afraid ofimage - Scott and the team are a great bunch, get involved!

• Options

if they are testing young fit men..Can i come to watch image

• Options
    There are some fit old blokes around..... Ageist I say !
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

if they are testing young fit men..Can i come to watch image

• Options

Just attempting to bump this back up towards the top of the forum. We've had a fantastic response so far. Due to a rescheduled visit, we still have one space remaining on the 9th April for testing. Please e-mail for info!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Scott Chiesa wrote (see)

Hi 'Wilkie'.

Other teams within the centre are currently carrying out trials on females (aged 18-40) with exercise-induced asthma; so if you have this condition (or think you may have it), please get back in touch and I'd be very happy to put you through to them for a referral.

Kind regards

Scott

For that one, I'm too old!  

What have you got for fit women over fifty?