The Bible

Do you know the Bible is the best selling book in the entire worldimage

It has been said that Anne Frank is second best selling book.

Why I wrote this thread because  I think if we read the Bible a bit  more this World would not be so messed up!

I am young gifted and Black.

Comments

• Yeah religion never causes any problems......

Happy Almost Easter everyone !
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

You must have been quite bored to have tapped that lot out karen.

I realise that some people are gripped by the Bible but really, anyone could have written anything that went in it. Its just a collection of thoughts, ideas and observations made by an agricultural society trying to make sense of their world.

Knowing what we all know now; or should, we could justly take all the posts of Kittenkat and call those the Bible. 2000 years on who's to know?

Bearing in mind that even 300 years ago people thought that lightening was thunderbolts from the Gods, vast tracts of the Bible is pure ignorance.

To continue to believe that the book still is the definitive answer to everything is just compounding ignorance. You may as well believe in UFO's and the Loch Ness Monster.

🙂

• Agreed. And religion has caused more wars and misery than anything else in this world, just look around.

• God is on the side of the big battalions
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

'God always fights on the side of the bad man, bad man, bad man'.

Name the song that came from.

🙂

• Karen you scallwag. image

• Karen, I know the bible says that Methuselah was the oldest man that ever lived and to the ripe old age of 969, and I don't doubt that for a moment.....but does it mention how he funded his pension? 

I've not made provision and on the basis that I may have to fund 900+ years I just wondered if there was any mention?

Thanks

JB

• No I don't own a bible. I am an atheist.

Karen you really need to get out more.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I don't own a bible.

If I want to read fiction I'll just get the latest Lee Child or James Patterson book.
  • I'm an atheist, so I don't own a bible. However, I think that anyone who is religious should be free to believe whatever they want, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

What does 'The Vicar' say?

I would love to read the bible but 'The Beano' and 'The Flashman Papers' are more my style image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Do I own a Bible? - Yes somewhere , was a Christening present from my grandparents when I was a baby
    Do I read it? nope
    Do I believe any of it? nope

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm an atheist but I do own a Bible. You're still allowed!

• I've not read the book since school - these days i just prefer collecting the action figures.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

I'm an atheist but I do own a Bible. You're still allowed!

Exactly!  Actually I'm an atheist and I don't own a bible, but I spent enough years going to church to be able to quote/paraphrase a fair amount of the New Testament.  (O-Level Religion was a doddle - quote St Luke's Gospel and regurgitate Roman Catholic moral teaching on abortion and contraception whilst biting your tongue and cringing slightly.)  Anyway...

One of these days I intend getting round to reading the whole of the Bible, and the Quran while I'm at it.  Whether you believe in something or not it's pretty hard to deny that a massive majority of the world's population either believe or have a significant part of their everyday lives influenced by what's written inside these books, so it makes sense to have some knowledge of them.

And Lo!  PhilPub heard rumour of hot cross buns from M&S that contain chocolate.  And there was much rejoicing.

• I don't have too much problem with the bible itself, if you take it as a collection of fables and stories, with a very general underlying theme of "be good to others".

Very nice for illustrating a general good moral code to a 2000 year old rural population (or 5 year olds, today), a moral code which comes as common sense to most people, without the need of religion to tell them how to behave.

It's problematic when a collection of people continue to take it as dogma or worse, fact, continue to apply 2000 year old thinking to a modern day setting (throwing their own interpretation in for good measure, if it serves their agenda), and preach that anyone who isn't religious can't possibly have any moral code of their own.

I'm an athiest. I think I probably do own a bible somewhere, though.

And, Jesus Christ Super Star is a fab musical!

• I own one. The last time I read one was a Gideon bible in the bath while away with work. I'd recommend reading the old testament, it's bananas.

I also own a Koran, but struggled to get going with it. Perhaps I'll have another crack at some point.

• I've got one. At school they dished out The Gideon Bible. Which is the one you find in Hotels etc.

It's easy to say "that can't be proven" about a lot of things in the Bible and people try to find out if  it was all "real" or if Jesus was divine.

I'm not religious, but I can see that people want evidence of just about everything.

If you can't invest faith in anything then you will only guarantee yourself a lifetime of doubt.

• "the Bible is an extremely cohesive and unified book"

Apart from the bits where the New Testament pretty much dismantles great swathes of the Old Testament. 

Surely the existence of several major religions introduces the element of doubt in the exisitence of any one true deity?

If all other religions are worshippers of false prophets and based on falsehood doesn't that support the possibility that your own chosen religion is a fallacy too?

There is no God, our lives and existence have no greater meaning than an ant, a housebrick or a smote of dust but I can outrun all three.

• 1 Samuel 15:3 "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do
    not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and
    sheep, camels and donkeys.'" - God

What a charmer. Killing kids today quite rightly gets you complete ostracism and banged up for life, commanding it 3,500 years ago gets you seats in the House of Lords. There's bags of this kind of thing from God in the OT. Remember that whenever you think about cuddly Jesus - it's the same fella apparently.

• I believe that Karen Samuel is the female reincarnation of Jesus Christ. Quick, let's nail her to a crucifix just to be on the safe side. Easter is coming up after all. image

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

Agreed. And religion has caused more wars and misery than anything else in this world, just look around.

I'm sure that this is a myth.  Undoubtedly wars are started, and evil acts are committed in the name of religion.   But that's not the full story. Anti-religious people like to blame religion for all the wars and misery.  But, IMO, the reality is that war is in human nature - and if we didn't fight under a 'religious' banner, we'd just fight wearing some other badge. Be it nationalistic, skin colour. Whatever.

I would say that the moral codes of Islam, Judaism, Christianity etc bring a lot of selflessness and cohesion to society  -  whilst also bringing some bad things too (most apparently, the oppression of women  - but again I wonder if that is also in human nature...  if there were no religion, oppression might still exist...  maybe less of it, or it might be worse).

You'd need a massive weighing scale to weigh up the pros and cons of religion in the world.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Great post Run Wales, stands out amongst the typical one sided nonsense you get on these threads.

• Here's one for the 'cons' column; the Vatican's insistence on abstinence rather than contraception in spite of the massive Aids epidemic in Africa.

Pretty abhorrent if you ask me.

The lessons in the books are all well and good; but organised religion and the power it gives those at the top of the tree is a disgusting relic of a bygone time.