HM training and finding a 'side' sport for fun.

Signed up for Windsor Half in September. Have done 2 previous halves in 2007 and 2010. 

Going for consistency and focus in my training as have lacked in past. 6 months to get a good base. So building up to 5 runs a week then increasing mileage to 25-30 mpw. Already strength training x2 pw and pilates 1xpw.

Tennis club is starting up again end of April.  Would be lessons/games 2-3 times pw. The running will help my tennis. And would train muscles I'm not using in the running. Quite tempted.

Alternatively, our local pool has good lap sessions first thing weekdays and most weekend. Been trying to build up my endurance in fc. Feel I need 3 days pw to progress. 

I've heard that neither is that great as a cross training option. The HM has to come first. But I'd quite like to do something 'aside' from the HM training to keep my enthusiasm up. Cycling isn't more than a casual option as I wouldn't go on the roads as I have concentration/ attention problems that make me a massive liability.

Can anyone recommend one over the other or suggest an alternative I may not have thought of? Many thanks.

Comments

• Your're overthinking this.  If you want a sport to do instead of running, just choose somethat you will enjoy.  If you want something that will improve your running, why not just do more running.

IF you want to get good at something you need consistency, so if you've previously played tennis (and enjoy it) then continue with the tennis.  If you want to get good at running then you need to be thinking about the HM in Sept as a starting point rather than an end point.  What will you do after that? Pack it all in and return to the sofa?

Notwithstanding all that, if you have the time I would recommend martial arts; good for strength, flexibility and cv work, and a lot of fun.  But five sessions of running, two weights, one pilates and 3+ of another sport seems a lot for a beginer. Perhaps better to start off with more modest ambitions and build up.

• Martial arts never did much for my fitness. Perhaps ju-jitsu Is different to your style but I needed gym work on top just to keep fit. It did help me keep my flexibility and helped my balance and coordination.
  • Going for focus ? So why the distractions. Way too much. Just run.
  • Thanks, Lou. I'm not a beginner, beginner. I've been running on and off for the past 15 years and have done a fair number of 5k, 10ks and a couple of random distances. I've got 10 consistent months of gym training behind me which has been 3 runs or other cardio a week plus the 2 strength sessions and recently the pilates because my core has always been really week. Even if I haven't run for a few months, I can usually go straight out and run 3 miles without stopping.

I love running and I enjoy it. I'm aiming to join my local club in a month or so once I'm up to my 5 days a week and it feels okay. Lapses in running lately have been due to bad depression. I'm hoping to continue with training over the autumn/winter then target a spring race in 2014. I did have a horrific 10k in August when I'd prepared well but had to struggle with the strong urge to give up after 2k. I did complete it in the end- 3rd from last. So my time is less important for the HM than finishing it feeling good.

I guess I'm looking for a fun, active distraction so I don't get all anxious about the race. I do enjoy tennis too but I'm no better at it than running and that's dreadful too. Ditto the swimming. 

• Lanky Lad wrote (see)
    Martial arts never did much for my fitness. Perhaps ju-jitsu Is different to your style but I needed gym work on top just to keep fit. It did help me keep my flexibility and helped my balance and coordination.

Did kickboxing for quite a few years, which largely involved high tempo circuit session and bagwork with a few drills.  I would say I was very fit during this time.

Also did a couple of years of ju-jitsu style MMA which was much more technical and I spent more time in the gym - put on about 1.5 stone when I was doing this.

• ThinksTooMuch wrote (see)

Thanks, Lou. I'm not a beginner, beginner. I've been running on and off for the past 15 years and have done a fair number of 5k, 10ks and a couple of random distances. I've got 10 consistent months of gym training behind me which has been 3 runs or other cardio a week plus the 2 strength sessions and recently the pilates because my core has always been really week. Even if I haven't run for a few months, I can usually go straight out and run 3 miles without stopping.

I love running and I enjoy it. I'm aiming to join my local club in a month or so once I'm up to my 5 days a week and it feels okay. Lapses in running lately have been due to bad depression. I'm hoping to continue with training over the autumn/winter then target a spring race in 2014. I did have a horrific 10k in August when I'd prepared well but had to struggle with the strong urge to give up after 2k. I did complete it in the end- 3rd from last. So my time is less important for the HM than finishing it feeling good.

I guess I'm looking for a fun, active distraction so I don't get all anxious about the race. I do enjoy tennis too but I'm no better at it than running and that's dreadful too. Ditto the swimming. 

The best way to avoid anxiety about races is simply to race more.  That way, if you have a terrible race, it doesn't matter becasue you know you've got another in a few weeks, whcih will go well.  If your whole focus for the next six months is on one race in September then I'm woudn't be surprised that you become anxious.
  • @ Cougie- as I suspected but have bee in bonnet. Thanks- I'll keep to the running as an experiment to see if the consistency thing works out. I can guess the outcome but just need to suck up the hard work required.

@ Lou and Lanky Lad- I do have a big interest in martial arts. I went to a karate club for 2 months and was enjoying kata especially but was developing shin splints from the impact of bare feet on the floor, and this was a sprug floor meant for dance so I gave it up.

• Cheers Lou. There's the 10k about a month before hands- the one I stuffed up last year.  I'm stuck for adding extra races this year as I simply don't have the money since I'm off to a pal's wedding in May at the opposite end of the country. 

I guess I could try some time trials by measuring out 10k routes and timing them. Say once a month? 

• If you join a club then they will probably have a series of free or fairly cheap races organised by local clubs.  Don't be put off by the whippets lining up at the front, there are plenty of 'normal' runners following behind. Added advantage of having clubmates to congratulate you on the good runs and comiserate one the bad ones.

Do you have a Parkrun locally?

• Bit of a late update:

Lou, yes, I think the club option is the best. I might be able to cadge lifts too. Alas, no Parkrun. 

As for the tennis, they've not got back to me so that's the end of that. 

I'm now up to a solid 4 runs a week plus the weights and pilates. Aiming to reach 5 runs on Sunday...Feeling good so far. Had a tiny niggle but ice sorted it out. Onwards!