Early morning runs - selfish?

2»

Comments

• Obviously this depends on your training, but If he does have a problem, why not limit your morning runs to 6.30 to 7.20. Then just do longer sessions in the evening?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Problem seems to be his. What if you had to get up for work at 6, or he changed jobs and he had to? Would that be an issue?
    So he's a light sleeper, if he's tired he'll fall back to sleep. Better for you all if you can get the run in, it will make you happier and as you say the evenings are free for more family time.
    Some people are grouchy in the morning no matter what. Sure he'll moan for a day or two but will soon get used to it.

• She did... That's why she ended up with me !
  • Don't set the alarm, just wake up and go quietly. If you can't wake up yourself you are probably sleep deprived so start going to bed earlier.

I keep all my kit outside the bedroom, so I can just creep out and get myself sorted without causing too much disruption. I still do disturb my wife, but mostly it's not so much that she can't just go back to sleep.

I find it is best to talk with your partner and work out what fits in best. My wife is prepared to have to roll over & go back to sleep as she would prefer that to me being absent at other key family times/missing time with her in the evening.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

The other possible compromise is for you to get up even earlier.

If partner normally gets up at 6.30am and you wake him at 6... then that's that. He's up early, and perhaps rather grumpy.

If you get up at 5.30am, then it is (probably) much easier for him to roll over and go back to sleep.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    She hates cycling....

That is what she says!

• On the other hand, on the odd occasion I am woken by something else (usually foxes), and realise I can go back to bed and have another hour or so sleeeeeeeep before the alarm - now that's one of the best feelings in the world ever.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My OH doesn't give a toss, as long as I don't expect her to go out running as well or watch me at any race where there's the risk of rain and cold; which is no risk at all since I'm not over keen on those conditions myself.

She is quite happy however to drive along in the car, following me while I do long runs. Though in future I suggest that she doesn't take the same short cut across the local golf course but to go around. Green keepers get a bit put out dealing with tyre marks.

🙂

• I get up even earlier than that, keep my kit in the bathroom, so in the morning I just slip out of bed, into kit and out of the door. OH never even notices I am gone. I always set the alarm, but tend to wake up before it goes off so it doesn't normally go off

it is only when the alarm goes off and I decide to stay in bed that he gets grumpy!!

• Sorry but l fail to see how anyone could consider anyone else for being selfish by getting them up half an hour earlier than what they normally would anyway.

If it was a case of you setting an alarm for 3am or something knowing that he would struggle to get back down then id maybe say yeah perhaps a tad inconsiderate but it's half an hour for crying out loud.

• Turns out he wasn't as bothered as I'd expected. Mobile phone alarm under the pillow worked really well though still woke him a bit. Enjoyed a lovely short run and felt smug all day.

Christ it's cold at 6am though!

Same thing tomorrow.
  • well done, once you are used to it, you will wake up without the alarm anyway

in the summer it is so much cooler at 6 in the morningimage

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I find it quite magical early in the morning, especially in the summer and early autumn. The sunrise and the mist settling in the fields image

• Glad it all worked out ok for you N Humphry. I'm fortunate in that I can do most of my running during my lunch break, I have an unofficial agreement with my boss that if I'm longer than 1 hour then I'll make the time up at the end of the day. I never fail to do so. On a Friday we finish 30 minutes earlier than the rest of the week so I have a 2 hour lunch and end up staying until roughly the same time as on the other days of the week. 

I am always out of the house before 7.30 on a Sunday for my long run, both my wife and I are up at 5.45 each morning to get ready for work, so she appreciates a nice lie in on a Sunday morning. She's normally only just got out of the shower when I get back so I jump in and we have breakfast afterwards. Going out early also gives us the rest of the day to do other things.